PDA

View Full Version : OT: Machinist Handbok

Derrick Stewart
09-13-2009, 10:01 AM
I know this has been discussed before but I am intrested in one of the old Machinist Handbooks. Is there one edition that is prefered over all the other ones?

Derrick

Glenn Fewless
09-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Derrick:

Do you mean the "Machinery's Handbook" published by Industrial Press, the small format 17,000 page reference book that comes as standard equipment with a toolmaker's apprenticeship?

I believe the current edition is #28. I have a 17th (1966) and a 22nd (1984) hanging around the shop. Both serve just fine as a shop referrence. The newer editions have information on CNC machining and state of the art metalurgy and such, but I have never used one.

What do you have in mind?

Glenn

Derrick Stewart
09-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Glenn,

I am looking for something as a general reference giude. I would like something that describes the way the old timer's done it. There is actually an "American Machinst Handbook" and a "Machinery Handbook" as you made reference to. Back in the mid 80 thru the late 90's I worked in the Mill Supply Business and that I must say is my first love. There's nothing like being in a machine shop with a Bridgeport Milling Machine, a Harig Surface Grinder, a Clausing or Warner Swasey Lathe and a Brown & Sharpe #2 Screw Machine.

One of these days I plan on taking a gunsmith class and would like to refinish barrels but now is not the right time.

Derrick

Glenn Fewless
09-14-2009, 12:16 AM
Derrick:

It depends on how far back you want to go. I think the M'sH goes back to the '40s. I am sure there are other publications that predate that.

The most complete work on Gunsmthing that I have ever read is James Howe's "The Modern Gunsmith". It is a two volume set orignially published in the '30s and updated a couple of times, my copy in '54. This work does tell you how it was done, right down to how to build the tooling and grind the cutters for rifling a barrel. It is the last gunsmithing book I would part with.

Glenn

Richard Flanders
09-14-2009, 02:00 AM
Just had a look on abebooks.com and amazon.com. There are dozens of Howes books available on both at anywhere from $35 for vol 1 to up to $200+ for both volumes. Seems there's 1934 and a 1954 editions. At any rate, lots available in stores all over the country.

Francis Morin
09-14-2009, 08:36 AM
Glenn,

I am looking for something as a general reference giude. I would like something that describes the way the old timer's done it. There is actually an "American Machinst Handbook" and a "Machinery Handbook" as you made reference to. Back in the mid 80 thru the late 90's I worked in the Mill Supply Business and that I must say is my first love. There's nothing like being in a machine shop with a Bridgeport Milling Machine, a Harig Surface Grinder, a Clausing or Warner Swasey Lathe and a Brown & Sharpe #2 Screw Machine.

One of these days I plan on taking a gunsmith class and would like to refinish barrels but now is not the right time.

Derrick I would add LeBlond to the list, and Gerstner for the tool boxes, and Cincinnati for the grinders as well. I have a South Bend "hobby metal lathe" in my small shop- 38" long bed, 6" swing, three jaw chuck and three position compound drive. I'll search through the Gerstners, I may have an older copy of that book, my late Grandfather considered it the "Bible". In his day, you apprenticed with a block of Hot Rolled (bark still on) a parher and Snow bench vise, a Stanley try-square and a set of Nicholson files, from Mill Bastard to smooth, and a file card- and you hade to file that into a dead perfect cube, all six surfaces identical. Once when in grade school I was "pulling shavings" after school in his shop, and a "new hire" took the print to him and asked for the "plus or minus" tolerances- "B.S.- my Grandfather bellowed, you make it right the first time or you are gone"!!

Bill Murphy
09-14-2009, 10:38 AM
I got my best training on a Bridgeport vertical mill when a truck driver knocked on the shop door on evening just after everyone except me had gone home for the day. He said, "I have your mill, where do you want it?" It wasn't like he was going to put it anywhere, just making conversation. After an hour or so of struggling with steel rod stock, broom handles, and pry bars, we had that monster in the shop. I was a high school kid working part time, but I knew I was going to have fun with that machine, and I did.

Dave Suponski
09-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Bill,We had a saying in the trade "That Bpt.Mill was the only machine tool that could duplicate itself" God if I had a dollar for every hour I spent over the years running a Bpt!

Austin W Hogan
09-14-2009, 10:29 PM
I have the 1954 Edition , given to me by GE when I beame an apprentice at Schenectady in 1955. Interesting that this book never left my side as I pursued science for the following 50 years.
The first edition was 1914. This covers the last half of the Parker era quite well. My copy includes hardening and coloring techniques as well as speeds and feeds for cutting many materials of that time.

Best, Austin

Francis Morin
09-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Austin- I may have some extra data from an early 1920's book, when I sent you the article on the GHE "project gun' and the patent papers on mr. Fischer's ejector system (for converting extractor Parkers to ejector guns)- Back then they portrayed the machinists as wearing clean aprons and neckties (tucked under the bib of the shop apron)-- no tool room foreman who had to wear a tie during my "time on the floor" would wear anything but a break-away clip on tie--you'll know why.

A good neighbor and friend, who did all the financials for our area Habitat for Humanity for years, worked for GE out there in Upstate NY- 1960-1975 era- then was promoted to the GE magnetics plant in Edmore, MI-Don had many great stories about GE and the 'home team"-- I take you are also an "alumni" of "We bring Good Things To Life"??

Derrick Stewart
09-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Thanks to everyone for there comments. I will for sure get the "Modern Gunsmith".

While were on the subject of items in the shop lets not forget the quality measuring tools from the L.S. Starrett Co, Dykem Steel Blue and Kool Mist Coolant.