PDA

View Full Version : mississippi dove report

charlie cleveland
08-07-2011, 08:43 PM
have been watching the doves for the last few weeks was worried about the no s at first the hot weather we have been having have kept the no. s down..weve had a couple ther storm the last week tempertures still high but doves after started coming in numbers to a small grain plot i had planted.. so as of rite now the north east section of miss looks to have a good number of doves...our quail hunting is still almost neal..but the deer are in great numbers more deer than rabbits...so if your lookin for doves or deer and your in or around miss.during the seasonscouldnot pick a better spot... charlie

Dean Romig
08-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Sad about the quail. Seems a lot like the problems with the woodcock up here. I know the dynamics are different but the results are equally disturbing.

David Long
08-07-2011, 11:58 PM
Doves look good in kentucky this year and i can't wait

charlie cleveland
08-10-2011, 11:25 AM
whatched the doves agaiun last evening and saw sveral every thing still looking good..im like every body else trigger finger getting itchy.... charlie

Gill Frye
08-10-2011, 03:20 PM
They look good down here in Carolina too and my wife is one of the best cooks around...can't wait!!!!

charlie cleveland
08-10-2011, 05:44 PM
hope every body has a good hunt and plenty of birds...we usally do a breakfast about 5.00 am then after the morning shoot meet up at a old spring and have a great dinner and lots of tall stories... charlie

calvin humburg
08-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Good doves in KS still nesting. Its really dry so if you got a water hole, through out some grain before season bring a lot of shells and mojo doves work very good.

david ross
08-25-2011, 11:12 AM
have been watching the doves for the last few weeks was worried about the no s at first the hot weather we have been having have kept the no. s down..weve had a couple ther storm the last week tempertures still high but doves after started coming in numbers to a small grain plot i had planted.. so as of rite now the north east section of miss looks to have a good number of doves...our quail hunting is still almost neal..but the deer are in great numbers more deer than rabbits...so if your lookin for doves or deer and your in or around miss.during the seasonscouldnot pick a better spot... charlie

Hi Charlie.:)
Please could i see some picts of your US doves as they sound like a good
sporting bird. Hope to come over and have a go one day.
All the best Dave.:bigbye:

Jeff Kuss
08-25-2011, 01:55 PM
I got invited to an afternoon dove hunt on opening day. Now I have to decide who gets out of the safe for the day!
Jeff

charlie cleveland
08-25-2011, 04:55 PM
david im not to good at posting pictures can some one please post a picture of a mourning dove... jeff just close your eyes and reach in and what ever comes out so be it bout as good as tossing a penny... me i think will hunt with the 10 ga d grade parker with open chokes and 1 1/8 ounce shot and a 20 ga lefever double as a back gun...might even throw in the old stevens in case of a breakdown... carried to single barrels one year and both of them old guns had problems that day... david the old dove is a good sporting dove hope you get a chance to hunt them some day....if you ever in mississippi come on by will try the doves.... charlie

david ross
08-26-2011, 08:53 AM
Hi Charlie.
Hope you have a good hunt with the old 10 bore 1oz 1/8th nice load.
All the best Dave.

Greg Baehman
08-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Mourning Dove.

david ross
08-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Hi Greg.
Nice looking little dove.
All the best Dave.

Tom Carter
08-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Does anyone have a close-up picture of a dove in flight? Cheers, Tom

Robin Lewis
08-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Google "morning dove in flight picture" and you will find a good selection to view.

Greg Baehman
08-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Mourning Dove in flight.

Jeff Kuss
08-27-2011, 12:17 PM
dove in flight

charlie cleveland
08-27-2011, 01:49 PM
thanks for the pictures fellas...i hope we all get to see a lot of them birds soon...a week from today i will get to try my 10 ga loads out that i rolled up... charlie

william faulk
08-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Texas White Wing Doves

william faulk
08-27-2011, 03:01 PM
thems are mourning doves in the truck...Bill:):)

Tom Carter
08-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Wild Skys and Jeff K, Many thank you's. Those are beautiful. Just what I wanted. Thanks again. Cheers, Tom

Destry L. Hoffard
08-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Still getting good reports from Southern Illinois. I've got Grandpa's 20 gauge oiled up and ready to go. Dad and I are trying out fancy new dove chairs, after 20 years we got tired of perching on our same old 5 gallon buckets and decided to go for comfort.

DLH

Eric Eis
08-28-2011, 09:25 AM
Destry wish you and your Dad good hunting, wish I could still hunt with my Dad....

charlie cleveland
08-28-2011, 10:22 AM
post us some pictures of those new dove chairs....im about tierd of setting on my bucket too.... i checked my dove field this morning was not the first dove crow or even a twitty bird in site...things looking bad on my dove field.. hot weather may be the reason still in the upper 90 s here... charlie

John R. Richards
08-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Doves in north Georgia look pretty good so far. Of course, if someone down the road turns their field the day before opening day or even that morning we may see a lot less in our field. The season typically opens the Saturday before Labor Day and it is a BIG event in this part of the country. I generally get real excited about going but this year it is even more exciting since 3 of my 4 grandsons will be shooting with me and/or in the same field. It is tough to do right now with football, Lacrosse, and even travel baseball practice underway but we need to get more youngsters and kids in the fields and woods if there is any hope of promoting hunting and sportsmanship. Sorry folks just felt like sermonizing!!!

Destry L. Hoffard
08-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Charlie,

We stopped at a country store last time I was home and they had a pair of them sitting on the porch. They weren't cheap, we stood around kicking the tires for quite awhile before we finally decided we'd better pick them up. Then Dad trumped my ace by paying for both before I had a chance to do the same. I'll get some pics while I'm down there and post when I get a chance.

Destry

charlie cleveland
08-29-2011, 09:48 PM
checked the doves today field still empty may have to shoot at one anothers hats to pass the time.... charlie

Dean Romig
08-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Be sure to toss them in the air... :eek:

Jeff Kuss
08-29-2011, 10:21 PM
Dean,
That takes all the fun out of it!
Jeff

charlie cleveland
08-29-2011, 10:33 PM
did not no you were supposed to throw them hats in the air will try it soon.... charlie

calvin humburg
08-30-2011, 07:42 AM
Did you have doves early? Seems i'm seeing less around here but still a lot. Better get to realoading I do it kind of like writing stories Dean.:whistle:

charlie cleveland
08-30-2011, 09:31 AM
we had doves up till about 1 week ago my uncle who lives about 3 miles from me says he doesnt have any doves either .. and hes got cattle on his place which usally helps with doves....this morning there was not 1 dove setting on the power lines that crosses the field...and so goes the mystery of the missing doves..... charlie

Marc Retallack
08-30-2011, 08:07 PM
Charlie, if you can't figure out what happened to your doves, just blame George Bush.:dh:

Cheers
Marcus

Destry L. Hoffard
09-01-2011, 01:50 AM
Had further good reports from the opening day farm. Our friend that owns the place says there's been a flock of about 40 pigeons feeding on the hillside and that he's got that spot reserved for me as he knows my fondness for shooting them.

A few decoys should really make for some sport. They were there in that same area last year and I killed about 15 along with some doves and two crows that came a little too close to the pigeon decoys. A grand afternoon for certain, I'm hoping for a repeat.

Destry

Jeff Kuss
09-01-2011, 08:34 AM
I got an invited to an afternoon hunt an hour south of me. Reports of birds are good. I can only hope that I take my A game to the field. My sunflowers are not ripe yet. I'll try shooting over harvested tomato fields this weekend.

Eric Eis
09-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Man I wish you all luck, I would love to try my hand at doves.... but in Michigan they are songbirds......

Dave Suponski
09-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Here in CT also Eric.

william faulk
09-01-2011, 01:27 PM
They really sing down in Texas when they catch a load of #8 in the butt!
When you miss they sing "Dixie"...:whistle:

Jeff Kuss
09-02-2011, 03:04 PM
It was a character builder yesterday afternoon at 95 degrees. Most of the morning shooters got their limits. I was the high in the afternoon shoot with 13 in the bag. I lost some in the corn field or would have gotten my limit.

Dave Suponski
09-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Jeff, That is a candidate for Parker of the Month! Great picture! Tell me more about the half pistol grip gun. Would ya huh....:rolleyes:

Jeff Kuss
09-02-2011, 04:09 PM
One frame 16 with 28" barrels. I plan to display my half pistol grip V's at the annual meeting this year.