PDA

View Full Version : crows at last!

scott kittredge
08-05-2011, 06:07 PM
tomorrow pete and i will be going to maine for the start of the "fall crow season" we will both be shooting our 10 ga. NH's loaded with 1 1/4 oz of 6 shot. this will kill them out to 65 yds if we do our part. to start the season off with a bang we will shoot the 1st shots with black powder loads :rotf: can't wait, won't sleep much tonight. we will keep you posted. scott

Dean Romig
08-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Please stop by my place in Maine on the lake. Those miserable crows start their noisy ruckus at about 4:15 a.m. and wake us all up. :cuss: They flock up in the towering White Pines on my property and just yell their fool heads off. Four years ago we had a pair of bald eagles nesting in one of our pines but the crows harassed them incessantly and they renested a mile down the lake :cuss:

Frank Cronin
08-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Scott - Pete -- Nice touch touching off some Holy Black to start the season. Look forward to you guy's recap when you get back.

charlie cleveland
08-05-2011, 10:44 PM
good hunting... charlie

Eric Eis
08-06-2011, 08:33 AM
We want photos.....

Larry Frey
08-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Please stop by my place in Maine on the lake. Those miserable crows start their noisy ruckus at about 4:15 a.m. and wake us all up. :cuss:

Dean,
Not sure if I would prefer a couple of crows squawking or a pair of 10 gauges going off a 4:15am.:eek:

Dean Romig
08-06-2011, 10:15 PM
I'll take the shotgun blasts... they don't last as long.

scott kittredge
08-07-2011, 07:18 AM
Scott - Pete -- Nice touch touching off some Holy Black to start the season. Look forward to you guy's recap when you get back.

well.set up along a salt marsh at 4:45 am and let the bug feed on us for about a half hour or so. started the e- callers bout 5:20 and the waiting started. i thought deer hunting was slow! than pete said here comes one high and he was not getting any lower so pete shot 1st, the crow kept on going and he shot the 2nd barrel and it folded up and came down.1 1/4 oz 6's .boy the 10 is nice to have on shots like that. another hour passed and 3 crows were coming across the salt marsh but getting higher and turned over our decoys at 55 to 60 i touched off a load of 90 grs of FF with 1 1/4 oz 6's the only thing i did is smoke out the bugs in the blind. it was slow so we packed up and went road hunting. came to a feild down the road that had 6 crows in it. we jumped into the woods and use mouth calls to call in another one that i shot with a load of 1 1/4 oz 7 1/2's too hot now but it is fun to get out. we will keep you post on the season with pics. thanks scott

Dean Romig
08-07-2011, 07:28 AM
I was in Eliot yesterday for about 4 hours and never heard a shot - where were you guys?

scott kittredge
08-07-2011, 08:15 AM
I was in Eliot yesterday for about 4 hours and never heard a shot - where were you guys?

Dean ,off rt. 91, york.

Dean Romig
08-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Oh.

Pete Lester
08-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Hey Dean if you want to learn more about it I will be giving away all our secrets next Saturday :)

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Newsroom/News_2011/News_2011_Q3/crow_hunt_workshop_072111.html

Dave Suponski
08-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Pete, That is great stuff! Good luck and I hope your seminar is a great success. Make sure to show attendees some Parker guns.....:)

Fred Preston
08-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Pete, Are you going to tape this (YouTube or whatever) so that we who are unable to attend could still get something from it?

Dean Romig
08-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Very impressive Pete!

Pete Lester
08-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks Dean. I used to work for the department and the guy running the center used to work for me. I have done this (and a beginning waterfowl hunting seminar) a couple of times before. The first time for the crow an AP reporter showed up and a positive report of the seminar made the news all over the country via many newspapers including the Houston Chronicle and Atlanta Journal to name a couple. The crow hunt seminar is slightly controversial as the department always fields a few calls in advance from those who don't like the idea of crows being shot. In my mind all the more reason to do it as I think we need to push back against the people who would just as soon see no hunting at all.

Dean Romig
08-07-2011, 10:40 PM
It's always the 'naysayers' who complain the loudest. They think that by being openly vocal and "in your face" it somehow lends credence to their cause. We need to do what we do and do it better but we must not forget that we also must educate them to the truth of the matter of hunting as a right of American Heritage that we will NOT compromise on.