PDA

View Full Version : Short Tens (At last!)

Mark Landskov
08-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Well, I finally took the plunge and ordered some equipment for trimming hulls and some components to make my own 'Short Tens'. All I need are primers and powder. I will procure them locally, as I can drive there and back for less than the standard $25.00 HazMat fee per item. A year ago, I bought a slightly used Lee Loader for the 2-7/8" shell and a 'no-name' roll crimper/bench turner. I figured it was time to do it instead of talk about it! This will be my very first venture into shotshell loading.

Mark Ouellette
08-05-2011, 08:52 AM
Welcome aboard Mark!

Frank Cronin
08-05-2011, 06:16 PM
Great news Mark! Reloading your own for shotgun,for rifle, or handgun -- There is a lot of satisfaction in winning a match or dropping that big buck or turkey with ammunition that you made yourself "rolling your own".

Bill Murphy
08-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Mark, you will die in a massive explosion that will destroy your house unless you watch what you are doing. Just kidding, of course. When you load for low pressure, make sure everything "sounds" right. Make sure your shell sound like shells when you fire them. Try to load as many as possible with identical procedures and components. If you find a combination that works, stick with it for as long as you have enough components of that identical type. Keep your experimentation for perfection to a minimum. Quantity is more important.

charlie cleveland
08-07-2011, 09:31 PM
i also finally made some improvements with my loading the short ten...my son made me a hull cutter just like the one you boys have made out of a wood dowel and a exacto blade..than thing is far better than my sharp case knife..thanks to milton starr who sent me 48 hulls i now have 47 loaded up with 25 grains blue dot and a 1 1/8 ounce load of 7 1/2 s lead for those doves come sept....now have a hard decision to make to either shoot a smith 10 ga with 32inch barrels and super tight chokes or the d grade parker with 30 inch modified both barrels.. will probably try both of them... i shot several of my loads at mydr pepper cans and 30 inch card board targets at 40 steps...everthing looked good on paper used a haMMER 10 CLABROUGH BROTHERS GUN FOR TESTING..its the lighest 10 ive got at 8 3/4 lbs i need to boorrow one of murphys light 10 s at about7 lbs... roll crimped some of my loads they never kicked a bit and sounded good...but most of them i star crimped them..gun kicked a little and the bang was a little louder and the powder burned a little cleaner with the star crimp...used the 8 ga roll crimper on the 10 ga hulls but it does not make pretty rolls got to invest in a 10 ga roll crimper now... charlie

Paul Harm
08-08-2011, 03:23 PM
Mark, you're sure going at it the hard way. A Mec Jr. would have been way quicker and much easier. If you ever get the chance to buy a used one cheap don't pass it up. Even a new one isn't all the expensive. Paul

Mark Landskov
08-14-2011, 11:11 PM
Well, here's my first one! I loaded ten of Sherman Bell's 1 ounce loads and will give them a whirl tomorrow. I bought some once-fired hulls from Precision Reloading and trimmed them accordingly. Out of 100, only a dozen would chamber and allow me to close the action on my Baker. The bases appeared to be 'puffed out' a bit, as though they were fired in a gun with some excess headspace. I bought some NPEs and they worked fine. I guess I should have bought them in the first place, eh?

Mark Ouellette
08-15-2011, 07:51 AM
Mark,

Some guns have larger chambers and rim recesses than others. My Parker 10’s will accept a slightly oversized rim where my LC Smith 10’s refuse to close.

Just because of the linage I’d bet your Baker is closer to a Smith than a Parker in chamber and rim size.

Save those cases and trade to someone with a Parker 10! Or, if you have access to a MEC Sizemaster or resizing tool your cases may be able to be resized to fit your Baker.

Mark

Bill Murphy
08-15-2011, 08:49 AM
I don't know if the MEC resizer is available in ten gauge. If so, maybe you need to buy one. I don't recommend sizing loaded shells, but I have done it. I use my PW 375 to size loaded shells occasionally. A shell sized in a PW 375 will fit in any gun.

David Holes
08-15-2011, 09:35 AM
I just happen to have a 10 ga. resizer that I don't seem to need. If interested pm me. thanks Dave

Mark Landskov
08-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Mr. Bell's load worked great! It is 22 grains of Hodgdon's Clays, an SP10 wad, one 1/2" felt 16 gauge wad, a 1/8" nitro card 16 gauge wad, an overshot wad and a roll crimp. My first venture was successful. These should be fine ruffed grouse loads. Cheers!

Mark Landskov
08-15-2011, 05:00 PM
By the way, now that the mouth of the hulls are all goobered up from firing, how do I round them out a bit for ease of reloading?

Mark Ouellette
08-16-2011, 07:25 AM
Mark,

BPI sells skiver tools that relax the mouths/crimp area of fired shells. The power (drill press) tool works okay but the tapered wood dowel with the abrasive coating is magic! A couple turns and the case mouth is ready to load again!

Mark

Mark Landskov
08-16-2011, 07:38 AM
Thanks, Mark!