PDA

View Full Version : Request to BPI for ITX Low Pressure Loading Data

Mark Ouellette
08-03-2011, 07:25 PM
This is a request to all fellow non-toxic reloaders for vintage doubles.

Please send a request to BPI for low pressure loading data for their non-toxic ITX shot.

The address is: loadoftheweek@ballisticproducts.com

Here is the request which I sent:

Dear Curmudgeon,

Is there a safety factor expressed in PSI for loading ITX instead of lead shot?

I load low pressure 2.88" "Short Ten" gauge and 12 gauge for Damascus side by sides such as Parker and LC Smith. I like to keep pressures at 8000 PSI or below. Many of my gun collecting peers tell me that they buy Nice Shot because they post a 1500 PSI safety factor. With that information it is easy to develop a waterfowl load based on a 6000 - 7000 reference load. I have shot Nice Shot for the past two seasons with great success. This year I purchased 21 pounds of ITX but now I realize that I do not have good low pressure data.

Goose and Duck season fast approaches. If you could provide low pressure data for us followers of the Damascus Deity you will earn a place in paradise. Or, we would at least buy more ITX!

Mark Ouellette
08-04-2011, 06:54 AM
Parker guys,

I wrote this as a response on Doublegunshop.com BBS. I know all us Parkerphiles know this but in case there is one person who is wondering...

Wth equal weights the pressure in the chamber is likely to increase when one substitutes non-toxic for lead. The reason is that non-toxics have different material properties than does lead. Simply put, ITX is harder than lead and does not compress as much during firing. The primer explodes, powder burns forming an expanding gas. The expanding gas creates an increasing amount of pressure which pushes the wad and shot against the crimp. The resistance of the crimp to opening contributes to the pressure. The piston in the wad mitigates some of the pressure as does the characteristic of the shot to compress a little bit.

Nice Shot lists on their web site to add 1500 PSI to your max pressure calculation. I suspect ITX will be similar if not more. The total additional pressure would of course vary due to weight of shot, wad's ability to mitigate the force of the pressure, bore size, and other factors unknown to anyone not having the gear and time to test for pressure change from changes to components, crimps, and other variables.

Note: A roll crimp lessens pressure as compared to a folded crimp.

So, if all would ask Ballistic Products Inc. to develop low pressure loading data for us shooters of vintage SxS's perhaps they will.

Thanks!
Mark

charlie cleveland
08-04-2011, 01:01 PM
thanks for the post i bet all the harder shot even to steel will be pretty close in pressures...gonna call up them folks and ask for some pressure info on their products.... charlie

Paul Harm
08-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Mark, I sent them a request. Paul

Theodore LeDurt
08-10-2011, 05:29 PM
I am not sure what constitutes low pressure, but after having had the following loads tested, these were the average pressures and speed:

1 1/8 ITX Velocity PSI Grains (Longshot)

1323 10266 26

1273 9300 25

1245 8400 24

I personally opted for the 24 grains

scott kittredge
08-10-2011, 08:36 PM
I am not sure what constitutes low pressure, but after having had the following loads tested, these were the average pressures and speed:

1 1/8 ITX Velocity PSI Grains (Longshot)

1323 10266 26

1273 9300 25

1245 8400 24

I personally opted for the 24 grains

hi, were these loads for 10 or 12 ga? thanks scott

Mark Ouellette
08-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Theodore,

Would you share with us the hull, wad, and primer?
Were your loads fold or roll crimp?

Thanks!
Mark

Theodore LeDurt
08-10-2011, 09:16 PM
The ITX loads and pressures listed were for 12ga. The hulls were Federal 2 3/4", with paper base. The primers were Win. 209 and the wads were Gualandi (TUWGL12). The shot was number 4's.