PDA

View Full Version : Unusual 28-ga. 2-bbl. set

Greg Baehman
08-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Other than a 28/.410 bi-gauge set have you ever seen a 2-bbl. set that included both a splinter and beavertail forend? Well, here's one:
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Parker-Reproduction-DHE-28-Ga-.cfm?gun_id=100195732

Dean Romig
08-03-2011, 11:22 AM
That's quite a nice combo. I would snap it up if it were 26" Q1 & Q2 and 28" IMP & MOD.

Regardless, the price is right for what the gun is, IMHO.

Bill Anderson
08-03-2011, 01:33 PM
I watch the sales market daily and I really don't believe this 2 barrel set would be "snapped up" at $5750 in today's dying economy.

Just my observation.

Bill

Dean Romig
08-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Good point Bill, but it is a very desirable set.

Bill Murphy
08-03-2011, 05:28 PM
I think the extra forend is very much an added value option. And I have an idea that is an original order. There is probably not paper on it, but I just know it is original. If you are interested in the gun, ask me how I know.

Greg Baehman
08-03-2011, 06:38 PM
I think the extra forend is very much an added value option. And I have an idea that is an original order. There is probably not paper on it, but I just know it is original. If you are interested in the gun, ask me how I know.
I'll bite...how do you know?

Kenny Graft
08-04-2011, 06:21 AM
I sent him a good offer yesterday....will see how mutch room is there??? I Like the english grip and beaver tail on this set. 28 gauge perportions are perfect! I think the beavertail forend of the 20ga. guns are a tad too big and long....SXS ohio...(-:

Bill Murphy
08-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Well, Kenny, how is that offer coming along? I looked at Roger's Repros over the weekend but never noticed the gun with the extra forend.

Kenny Graft
08-04-2011, 09:15 PM
No reply as yet?...................

Kenny Graft
08-09-2011, 07:39 AM
I have offered 6250.00 with no response???....Maybe its sold??? and not removed from the auction sight....I do not need the set, wood is average for the repro's ...just would be nice to have it...(-: thanks all SXS ohio

Charles Dawley
12-12-2011, 02:00 PM
I now own this particular Repro....it is very nice

Bill Murphy
12-12-2011, 03:25 PM
I think the gun is very hot. If I didn't own a Repro of that exact configuration except for the extra splinter forend, I would have bought it in a minute. Did Roger give you any paperwork documenting the originality of the extra forend? Greg, sorry I didn't see your question before the gun sold.

Jerry McCarty
12-12-2011, 04:09 PM
I handled this gun when it visited our area a few months ago... couldn't come up with the dough at the moment and let it go back to PA. It is nicer than the photos can show and yes, the beavertail forend & double triggers set it apart. Enjoy it often Mr. Dawley.

Charles Dawley
12-12-2011, 08:26 PM
I did not get any paperwork, but it is my understanding that the gun was bought, along with other, back when they quit making them as an investment and the owner has apparently chosen to collect his interest. It is reported to have never been fired and appears so. As it was on consignment, bargining was out, though I did get free shipping. I was also dealing with William Larkin Moore and CSMC on two barrel sets which didnt have the double triggers and extra forend. Dave Moore, who I have had the pleasure of buying several Arrietas from recently, agreed that it was a good deal when I chose not to buy the one they had; citing the double triggers, different barrel lenghs and two grips as being worth several hundred more then the gun sold for. William Larkin Moore, by the way, is an excellent orginization to deal with as well

edgarspencer
12-13-2011, 01:54 PM
As it was on consignment, bargining was out
I wouldn't automatically assume that when a gun is consigned, there is no 'dickering'. A motivated dealer would rather take a slightly lower margin, than have something just sit there. He is often able to go to the seller and talk him into taking less. The combined concessions can often be more than what an owner would take by himself.
In today's economy, there are very few things that are 'Firm'.

Charles Dawley
12-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Believe me, I never buy anything at what it is priced...tried....he was quite ademaent that the owner would not drop on the price, having no real urgance to sell. Given its make up, I have no doubt he could have gotten full price . In fact another dealer who I was talking with about a parker he had for sale said if they had this one in their store (William Larkin Moore) they would have been asking 7500

Greg Baehman
12-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Charles, it appears that this gun has an oil finish, does it?

Rex Northen
12-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Lots of interesting variations on these guns, looks like a good one.

Bill Davis
12-13-2011, 03:29 PM
I ordered 2 repro 2 barrel sets with 2 beavertail forends when they were first introduced. One both 20 and 28 gauge. Over the years I have seen very few sets with 2 forends.

Charles Dawley
12-13-2011, 03:39 PM
The dealer reports the gun came from the factory as is. I too have not seen others with two forends. Sure is an ideal option if you are going to have two barrels. The other thing is different length barrels. More often the are the same

Jay Gardner
12-13-2011, 03:49 PM
I have always thought that the lug on BTFE barrels was different from the lug on barrels fitted with a SFE. I hope someone will tell me that I'm wrong because this set has me thinking about having a SFE made for my 28 ga BTFE 2-barrel set.

edgarspencer
12-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Believe me, I never buy anything at what it is priced...tried....
Gotta try. I'd have to turn in my kilt if I just rolled over without at least asking. They tell me the latin in my family crest translates "Never Pay Retail" I was pretty sure it said "Buy High, Sell Low"

Dave Suponski
12-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Jay, All the Repros have the beavertail forend loop. At least all the ones I have handled...:)

Jay Gardner
12-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Jay, All the Repros have the beavertail forend loop. At least all the ones I have handled...:)

so I would have to find BTFE metal and then have it re-enginered to fit? (Thinking of the long-bolt).

Dave Suponski
12-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Not at all Jay. My 28 gauge Repro has the beavertail forend loop and is a splinter gun. the forend fastener is the same for beavertail or splinter it is just that the forend lug and short bottom rib is one piece on a beavertail equipped gun.

Charles Dawley
12-13-2011, 05:34 PM
What I have read thus far is some guns are interchangable in regards to splinter/beaver tail, some are not. At this point, my splinter will go on the beaver tail barrel (barrel #1 and seems to fit ok, except the latch will not close. Kind of like you find on Merkels where it can be a bear to get the splinter back on after cleaning. I have been told a competent gunsmith can resolve the issue with the two forends on the parker easily.

Jay Gardner
12-13-2011, 05:37 PM
I suppose the trick would be finding a used SFE. or metal) that will fit a 00-frame.

Steve Kleist
12-15-2011, 07:05 AM
For what it's worth, I am just a guy with a camo cap. I am NOT a gunsmith or a Parker Reproduction expert. Years back I bought a 12 gauge Parker magnum that I use for waterfowl. It came with a splinter forend. For fit reasons I prefer a beavertail forend.
I managed to find an inletted blank BTFE and I fitted the splinter hardware into the new beavertail blank. With a little checkering and finishing it works just fine.
I am sure that someone who has worked with forend conversions more can give you much better advice, but the conversion can be done.
Just an FYI....
Steve Kleist Ely, MN

Charles Dawley
12-19-2011, 07:12 AM
I spent a bit of time examining the two sets of barrels/forends. I can see no difference in the barrel lugs, in terms of size/shape/location. the only difference I can see initially in the forends is the depth the latches are set into the wood. Otherwise, they appear to line up the same. Each forend will fit on the other barrel set while mounted on the receiver, but niether latch will close when mounted on the barrel it was not originally made for. As mentioned above, I suspect a well trained gunsmith could probably resolve the issue

Ross Alvord
01-17-2012, 11:39 PM
Any suggestions on the value of a Repo, 28 ga, two barrel set, with case and cover, maybe 98 to 99%, one slight ding in stock, two surface marks, perfect barrels, 26" BBL with IC/M, 28" BBL with M/F, case color shows slight wear, engraved under.

Any input would be great. Looking for some idea or range of reasonable value?

Kenny Graft
01-18-2012, 06:37 AM
5500.00 would be a start piont.....most guns do better. Depends on the sellers asking price and how bad you want a particular gun....Couple years ago they started closer to 6500.00 So 6K would not be unreasonable.....They are good investments. thanks all SXS ohio...(-:

Ross Alvord
01-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the info. It does have an Enlish stock and Splinter forearm. $5500 may be the low point. My struggle is I am not a great fan personally of "case color" since it typically wears off with even cared use. This only has a few mild wear points on edges but overall not "readily" apparent due to the typical diversity of case color to the casual viewer. Any pro would certainly notice it however. Your comments are very helpful as I at least have a base. I could actually do 20 ga or 28 ga but I think the 28 ga may be the better choice. It has the best wood also, and a bit lower cost besides.

Jay Gardner
01-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Double triggers or single? English/straight stock is definitely a plus but double triggers on an English stocked gun is the combination most people seem to covet. As for case colors, use them to negotiate a lower price if you can and if you buy the gun send it to someone to strip them and have the gun re-cased.

Good luck,

JDG

Ross Alvord
01-18-2012, 03:44 PM
Single trigger, I too much prefer double triggers, only makes sense to me with English stock. These are Ok fo now with case color, just not "new" condtion in case quality, some minor wear points. Is it really acceptable at some point to have the "case color" redone at some point? Will this impact its "value" long-term.

Greg Baehman
01-18-2012, 05:45 PM
Absolutely, any alteration i.e. recoloring, grinding metal to relieve choke, cutting stock to install a pad, etc. to an original Parker Repro will affect it's long term monetary value. There are those that will argue that it will increase personal value, however---and they are right. A gun has only one crack at being original--and original is what collectors want.

Ross Alvord
01-18-2012, 06:02 PM
I understand. I am most concerned with retaining highest potential investment value for now, thus, I must live with the imperfections I guess. Wish it was new, but not, yet very nice, just not "as new." If I owned it from new it would typically be as good in 20 years or more. Sometimes I am a perfectionist, expecially in valuable items. But, better to own something at 98-99% rather than nothing. All my firearms except "shooters" are likely 98%or better.

Thanks for all replies, you folks have surprised me very favorably, most kind to respond. Quick responses with some great advice. I like the "Parker" afficionados already. Again, thanks for being such fine firearm folks.

Gerry Addison
01-18-2012, 10:53 PM
Ross, I was where you are a little while ago with regards to having perfect guns. Now, I shoot and enjoy all of my guns. I take the imperfections that come with a used gun and smile as that allows me to shoot it even more. Those "new" guns are no fun to me any longer, and as a nice old gunsmith once said to me, "go ahead, shoot it. Anything you can break, I can fix." I say that to myself every time I take a nice SXS grouse hunting as I did today. Took a nice grouse over my setter with a nice old 20Ga Parker original straight grip that I had restocked a few years ago.

Ross Alvord
01-18-2012, 11:22 PM
Good thoughts. I admit, I have a few firearms now I feel compelled not to shoot simply due to their age and unshot condition. So, it is actually good to know/feel I can keep it in "as now" condition, but enjoy it more because I can feel fine about shooting it. I'm good with the idea. Thanks. I should have it by end of week.

Ross Alvord
01-27-2012, 02:44 AM
Thanks for the advice earlier from all Members that replied. I did purchase the Parker DHE Repo 28 ga. with 2 bbls 26" IC/Mod and 28" Mod/Full in case with zip cover case. Very nice indeed.

Where can we identify the actual year of production? I haven't yet found where the serial numbers are registered to identify the circa. Given that these were built by Winchester, are there any "actual records" kept that indicate the "history" of the Repos?

Kenny Graft
01-27-2012, 07:06 AM
Ross......The parker repo's have a stormy past. Winchester had nothing to do with marketing these guns. Parker Reproductions was a stand alone company. After the loss of the factory in Japan everything was moved to the U.S. and stored in a basment warehouse. At some point a mojor flud filled this building with water and everything was lost...including production records. We have very little facts to go on. The good thing, its realy fun!.....Ross ..go back and read all the parker repro posts, lots of stuff about them has already been covered......thanks all SXS ohio

Marvin Kells
01-27-2012, 08:31 AM
Ross,

Go to the PGCA Home Page and click on "Parker Grades" then scroll down to "The Parker Reproduction by Winchester" section which contains production info. At the bottom of that section you'll see a button "View Winchester Reproduction Literature". That will take you to some interesting articles and brochures from the period.

Ross Alvord
01-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Thank you for the comments and info. Good suggestions. I guess we have to appreciate the Repos on their own merit and what they "are" as a group. I admit, I much favor "originals" but these seem to have some attraction themselves, and they certainly are very nice shotguns at that. Appear to be fine quality. I'll read up more.