PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Loading 2 5/8" 10ga?

Theodore LeDurt
08-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Looking for some loads, both lead and non-tox for the x-short ten. Thank you for any help or recommendations.

Mark Landskov
08-01-2011, 09:31 PM
A few years ago, Sherman Bell did a short series of articles in the DGJ on loading short tens, specifically, the 2-7/8" shell. I plan on using the data for my 2-5/8" shells. The powder charge and SP10 wad should be the same. I am thinking that the SP10 wad 'petals' may need to be shortened a bit, or I may have to play around with filler wads in the cup to bring the shot up to the mouth of the hull for proper crimping. For light loads, like 1 ounce, 16 gauge felt wads are placed in the SP10 wad to raise the shot closer to the mouth of the hull. I have this data in an e-mailable format that was graciously shared by another PGCA alumni. I sent you a PM. Cheers!

Paul Harm
08-01-2011, 10:05 PM
My Parker 10ga was made for 2 5/8 shells. I also use the same load data as for the longer 10ga shells. You'll just need to load less shot if useing plastic wads or go to paper wads and figger out how thick a filler wad you'll need. The paper wads will give less pressure than the plastic wad so you could go up a grain or so of powder. Paul

Mark Ouellette
08-02-2011, 06:25 AM
I trim new cases 10 gauge cases to 2 7/8". I use 16 gauge fiber wad as filler or 5 to 6 Cheerios. Once the case mouths split I trim them to the bottom of the split and load using less filler. My short cases are maybe 2 1/2" long when fired. Since I roll crimp there is plenty of room for shot.

charlie cleveland
08-02-2011, 03:37 PM
mr bell had a lot of good loads ive loaded and shot several of his listings in the short ten.. some of the loads make a fine longrange squirl load...gonna try the loads on early dove before long.... charlie

Mark Ouellette
08-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Theodore,

I sent you a PM.

Mark