PDA

View Full Version : Chamber length

Ernie Broe
08-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Hi Folks,

New poster here.

I just aquired a VH 16 from Steve. It looks to me like the forcing cones have been lengthened but the chambers still measure 2 9/16.

The forcing cones are kind of rough. I do a lot of shotgun gunsmith work and have the proper tooling to lengthen the chamber to 2 3/4" and polish the cones.

My question is how much would the the value of a gun be decreased if the chambers are lengthened? A lot or very little.

I will at least polish what is there.

Thanks for any comments you wish to offer.

Ernie

Mike Shepherd
08-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Hi Ernie:

I guess the value change depends on the rest of the gun. If it has 90% original case colors, 95% original blue, 95% original wood then I would think it would go to the double digit percentages.

If it has a white line pad, sling swivels, no case colors, reblue, an aftermarket beavertail forend, and the barrels have been cut then no difference.

My opinion anyway.

Best,

Mike

Ernie Broe
08-01-2011, 06:59 PM
It's the gun Steve Hodges had on the 16 Gauge Society. Excellent original butt wood and buttplate, very good forend wood. Re-blued barrels and silver receiver. "0" color except under the top lever and inside the forend.
The chokes are still original IC/Full and the barrels are 26" as shipped from Parker.
It's an "O" frame, a very nice shooting gun, tried it yesterday
It's an above average shooter in my opinion.

I'm not new to shotguns or guns in general but I am new to Parkers. Just thought it would be good to hear some fellow shooters opinions that probably know a lot more about these guns than I do at this point.

Thanks, Ernie

Mike Shepherd
08-01-2011, 07:16 PM
If it were mine I would leave them alone.

Best,

Mike

Ernie Broe
08-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks Mike. I figured the same as I do reload 2 1/2" 16 ga. shells for another old SXS.

I got plenty of other shotguns, no need to change the old Parker. I was just curious.

So far I have shot this one with 28 ga. Chamber Mates, lots of fun.

Ernie

Dean Romig
08-02-2011, 12:30 AM
On an 0-frame sixteen I would leave the chambers as they were made. Lengthening the chambers on such a "light" gus as yours is, in my opinion, asking for trouble. The present chamber length may be all that those "light" barrels can support and even another 1/8" in chamber length may compromise the safe limits of barrel wall thickness at the juncture of the chamber and the beginning of the forcing cone.

You're lucky to get Steve's Parker and I hope he is as happy with the RBL.

Ernie Broe
08-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Thank you both for your insight.

It will stay as it came from the factory and only be used with 2 1/2" shells or chamber inserts in 28 gauge.

I am really happy to have this old gun. It will get light use and the best of care.

However having this Parker does create one problem since I am a shotgun enthusiast.
I'm afraid I'll be looking for more Parkers now. In my opinion they are much nicer guns than the Smiths and Fox guns I have owned in the past.