PDA

View Full Version : Source for offset firing pin springs

Chuck Bishop
07-31-2011, 10:31 PM
I needed a new spring for my 12ga Grade 0 hammer gun. This is what I found at True Value. Anything smaller than 7/32 and it will not fit on the firing pin anything bigger and the firing pin chamber will not allow the spring to be in line with the firing pin hole

You can adjust the strength by shortening or lengthing the length of the spring. I've been told by Dewey Vicknair that the strength of the return is not critical, just so that it fully retracts the firing pin.

Jim Akins
08-01-2011, 11:43 AM
A bit confused here, are you trying to put the spring over the pin? It should go in front of the off-set.

Chuck Bishop
08-01-2011, 04:50 PM
I had no prior experience with the offset type of firing pin. I only know that when I removed the firing pins, the springs were on the pins, not in front of the offset.

I talked with Dewey Vicknair and he told me every one he's seen has the spring over the firing pin. He did say that it would make sense to put it in front of the offset but either way should work just fine. He's going to experiment with my gun, he has it to lighten up the triggers.

I know we have a detailed assembly/reassembly of the hammerless gun, is there something similar with the hammerguns?? The only trickey part was the bolt and underlifter and that tiny screw.

Robin Lewis
08-01-2011, 05:14 PM
We have this but I'm not sure it will help much?
How do I disassemble my Parker Hammer gun? (http://books.google.com/books?id=SY7K7Gi91xcC&pg=PA486&lpg=PA486&dq=disassemble+parker+lifter+shotgun&source=bl&ots=ShKdWUkYoH&sig=74UxdcvUbBuMbR4djO3v0SsL3ZY&hl=en&ei=eyWqTYSqNovVgAfB54z0BQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false)

Dave Purnell
08-01-2011, 06:51 PM
With all due respect to Dewey and everyone trying to figure this out. The Parker Story shows a drawing, fig. 336 on page 109 of volume one.

Dave

Chuck Bishop
08-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Thanks for that reference Dave. Do you have the proper dimensions for the spring?

Dave Purnell
08-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Chuck,
I've never seen where Parker shows a size of the spring. It does sit on the ledge of the offset pin, not surrounding the pin. The holes in the bolsters are offset accordingly and there isn't room in there for a spring except on the ledge. Unfortunately most original springs are mangled beyond recognition. I find that no more than a quarter inch diameter works well, and is less likely to tumble over in it's space. Dewey is quite correct that it doesn't take much pressure to do it's job. So 1/4 x 1/4 should fit well, but it needs to be a light duty spring.

Dave