PDA

View Full Version : Some very sad news from Trigg

Richard Flanders
09-10-2009, 12:54 AM
Trigg wrote me an email at 4:30am this morning that his beloved GSP Dodger hasn't long to live as his cancer has returned. I've hunted a lot with that dog and can definitely feel his pain. Dodger was his first bird dog and gave Trigg every "first" on birds that he has had and the list is long. I had the privelege of sharing some of those events. A better dog has never lived in my opinion. The pics attached about sum up our experiences with Dodger over the past few years.

Bruce Day
09-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Please convey my condolences. These losses are difficult.

Bob Brown
09-10-2009, 11:24 AM
What terrible news, Richard. Trigg, I feel for you. I know you love Dodger, and what a wonderful dog he is. When we hunted together last fall I was amazed at how you and he work together. He's the only pointer I've hunted over and I'm sure there will be none finer. He'll live on in the memories of those that have met him. I've been looking forward to seeing him hunt again when you, Rich, and Mark visit in a few weeks. Cherish the time together.

Bill Murphy
09-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Trigg, I never thought I could warm up to a short tailed pointer after more than fifty years of long tailed pointers and setters, but my little Wirehair, Eva, is more dog than any of them and I'm usually sentimental about my long gone bird dogs. My sympathy.

Greg Franklin
09-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Please convey my condolences.

Mine as well; hard to lose a loved companion, but you have some wonderful memories of great experiences together.

Dale Meyer
09-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Trigg, we have never met, but we share a love of our dogs. I have been thru that loss too many times, but without the loss we could never have shared the wonderful life experience. What a wonderful reunion awaits us at the Rainbow Bridge!

Francis Morin
09-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Nothing can fill the void- but two older pieces of writing come to mind- 1) "Where to Bury A Dog" written by Ben Hur Lampman about 1925- this was featured in the first issue of Gun Dog magazine years ago and (2) Rudyard Kipling's poem 1898- "You've Given Your Heart To A Dog For To Break"--

I still can't re-read (for the 100th time I'd guess) the late Corey Ford's "The Road To Tinkhamtown" and not think about my old Setter Molly Behan McGuire- FDST out of the old Mississippi Zev bloodline- 1968-1982- grand years and not just in October and November-

Thanks for sharing the fotos with us as well-

james van blaricum
09-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Trigg, We don't know each other but I share your feelings and have had the same experience.
My thoughts are with you. jvb

Richard Flanders
09-11-2009, 01:28 AM
The upside of this is that Trigg has a new dog, Shine, coming from the same kennel as Dodger, which is on his way to Alaska soon and will travel south with us at the end of September. The kennel owner has been trying to train this dog to be as much like Dodger as possible. We hope he is right and are looking forward to the new pooch... I've been told that my job is to rein Trigg in when/if he expects too much of this new dog. I can do that....

Trigg Davis
09-11-2009, 04:28 AM
To everyone who posted thank you.

Dodger truly has been the experience of a lifetime. He has repeatedly done things experienced dog people find hard to believe. It is just the way he was; you can't train in the raw talent with which he was born. Dodger has had a hand in having me invited to do a lot of wonderful things including this years Ruffed Grouse Society National Ruffed Grouse and Woodcok Huntin Grand Rapids Minnesota. Unfortunately Dodger won't be able to make it, but I still will. At least if they will have me without him. I plan to take my original 24 inch 16 gauge open choked PHE to that event. Hopefully it will do well for me and honor the Parker tradition. It is short but it has been known to bring down a grouse or two and it carries well.

Rich, I am awake at this late hour because I am checking on Dodger who is I think not ready to go. He is thin tired at times and all of that but still has happy moments. Earlier this week I took him out to look quickly for a grouse. We never quite got where I was going to go. We flushed a loan bull buffalo on the edge of the timber and a field near a game ranch. Incredible thundering hooves; I reallyt jumped and chose to turn around since the animal stopped turned around and did not look any too happy. Given the season I expect he might have been pushed out by another bull snf none to happy

Shine arrives tomorrow at 7:15 p.m. It will be off to our Big Lake island cabin to get acquainted. I hope all goes well. I think Terry, the breeder, is finding it hard to let this boy go so Shine probably is a bit special. I have been forewarned not to expect points at the same distances but nonetheless I expect he has his talents which we can develop with training and experience.

Thanks again for evryone's messages they are truly appreciated; I will print and keep a copy of this thread for certain.

Trigg

Rich Anderson
09-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Trigg although we have never met there is always a bond with men who enjoy a fine gun and a good dog. They go together like wiskey and a splash of water.

I also have GSP's and have lost one to cancer at age 9 and one to epelipsy (where is that damned spell check? :cuss:) at 13 just two years ago. Gunner is nearing up on 13 and has a far off stare some days and he has me concerned. It was his mom that had the siezeures. Gunner is a first rate dog just as I'm sure Dodger is. Rich F has hunted with Gunner on a couple of occasions and I think he would bear witness for Gunner.

Dodger will always live in your heart but please let Shine become his own dog. He won't be Dodger he is Shine and no dog no matter how great will ever be able to compete with your Dodger just as none can compete with Sturm, Elisa or Gunner.

Derrick Stewart
09-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Rich,

Your reply was well spoken and very true. I will have a glass of Russel Reserve tonite for Dodger and Trigg, I will be thinking of both of you.