PDA

View Full Version : Odd Engraving

Larry Frey
09-09-2009, 03:40 PM
The photo's below are of a gun listed as a DH 28 gage. Having owned a few D grades and handled many more I thought I'd seen all the variations of engraving used on D's. It would seem this restocked gun whose serial number is missing from the book was either mismarked by the seller with regards to its grade or perhaps is an upgrade. What do you think?

Dave Suponski
09-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Larry,I agree.I havn,t seen that engraving variation either.Do we know the serial number?But I like it!

Bruce Day
09-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Certainly interesting and warrants further looking. Probably costly and for a costly gun, it needs to be verifiable. Interesting and raises issues that it is a post early 20's D because of the later style safety slide and it doesn't have ejectors, at least you called it a DH. Kind of wonder if it is an embellished and restocked G or V.

I have on occasion seen 00 frames without serial numbers and with the V engraving buffed off. Always wonder what became of the frame.

Very interesting and if correct, could be a great gun. Obviously, a person would need the gun in hand and several hours spent with it. I have seen D engraving variations but have not seen this one.

Oops, I see now that it has the old style safety slide, not the new. Guess it is more likely now that it is a correct D with extractors for that period. Wonder what the frame size is? There are a bunch of 0 frame 20's that were rebarreled to 28's but in the early years, the 0 frame is correct. Hmmmm. And then, most correct 28's are late guns and almost all correct 28's are late V grades. Gun in hand.

Jay Gardner
09-09-2009, 05:08 PM
If I am not mistaken, this gun was discussed a few months ago, perhaps on the "old" board and I believe the conclusion was that the gun did not start out life as a D. I may be wrong but I am sure I have seen pictures of that gun before.

Bruce Day
09-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Jay, you may be correct. The gun would need to be in hand and closely studied before anything rational beyond suspicions can be concluded, unless photos of the frame water table show lesser grade markings. Sometimes the gallery here can make all sorts of wrong statements without ever making a careful study of the gun in hand. If a PGCA member is the seller and the gun was correct, I'd be pretty irritated if it were mine.

Jeff Kuss
09-09-2009, 06:21 PM
152943 is not in the book.
Jeff

Angel Cruz
09-09-2009, 06:46 PM
If you want to see better pictures to to Merz Antique. He's had it for a while and this gun was talked about on the old board. He wants a pretty penny.

Russ Jackson
09-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Larry; Sure is a pretty piece, are you considering the purchase of this gun, the 28's are sure nice Parkers ! Our Data base shows that there are surviving records for this Serial #, would be a great place to start !

Jay Gardner
09-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Unique engraving, for sure. Maybe one of a kind. And what appears to be a nice dogs head butt plate to boot. Hummmmm

Dave Suponski
09-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Unique checking on the forend also.Is 150,000 kinda late for an O frame gun? Maybe the gun was ordered with a specified weight?Is it just be or does the barrel hook look to be repaired?

Just some thoughts.....:rolleyes:

Russ Jackson
09-09-2009, 08:22 PM
My DH 28 Gauge is serial # 106312, and it 's serial is just before ejectors I believe, and it also is an O Frame . Russ

Asa Kelley
09-10-2009, 07:45 PM
This gun was discussed earlier. If you go to the dealers site there is a picture of the top rib that states Titanic Steel but the picture of the barrel flats does not verify this. There is a circled D where there should be a circled T.