PDA

View Full Version : Repro Repair

Gary Laudermilch
07-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Hi,

This is my first post although I have been reading your comments for years. Many years ago I purchased a 20 ga. repro(26 inch, pistol grip, splinter, double trigger) that immediately became my favorite grouse/woodcock gun. I also shoot it at 5-stand quite a bit prior to the season start, about 1000 rounds per year). I always wondered how I would get it repaired if something broke. Well, my greatest fear was realized recently when one of the ejector hammers broke. I took it to a very competent double gunsmith who said he could make a replacement part. After some time he confessed that the part was just too complex to fabricate. He was attending a double gun class at Colorado gunsmith school and was advised there that someone in Mass. had written the CNC code to produce this part. We are in the process of following that lead.

So, the question is, do any of you have any recommendations for getting my pet gun back to original. Yea, I could turn it into a extractor only gun but would really like to bring it back to original condition. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Eric Eis
07-20-2011, 01:05 PM
Try Brad Bachelder
1229 Michigan St NE
Grand Rapids, MI, 49503
616-459-3636

Many people besides myself have used him.

Dean Romig
07-20-2011, 01:18 PM
I'll check with Mario in Salem, MA. He told me he was contemplating making some.

Dean Romig
07-20-2011, 01:31 PM
Just spoke with Mario... he said "If I thought there was a good market for them I would have done it, but I decided not to do it."

He did however, make a bunch of replacable wear plates for the locking lug.

I wonder if Larry Frey ever took on such a project??

It would be quite expensive as the ejector hammer is a very complex piece to make properly.

Gerry Addison
07-20-2011, 01:41 PM
You might check with Eyster at Heritage Gunsmiths in Ohio. They did all the work for Jaqua's when they were closing them out.

Greg Baehman
07-20-2011, 04:10 PM
I had the right ejector hammer break in one of my Repros. I sent the gun to four different gunsmiths to try to get it fixed, two of which were nationally known as being the "best" :rolleyes: when it comes to Parker ejectors. None of them could fix the ejector---that is, until I sent it to Jack Haugh in Milan, IN. Jack's son Frank tig-welded it back together and re-hardened it. The ejector has functioned properly ever since. To my way of thinking, the Haugh's are the gunsmiths gunsmith. Google up "Jack Haugh" to get a little taste of his credentials.

Jack Haugh & Sons
4421 N. Old Milan Rd.
Milan, IN 47031
812/654-3209

Gerry Addison
07-20-2011, 04:33 PM
Jack is a friend of mine and about 30 minutes from my house. He was the best of the best as far as I'm concerned and knows how to make any part of any gun. He has had some health issues the last couple of years, but is back doing limited work now. He knows more about guns and how to fix them than anyone I've come across.

Rick Losey
07-20-2011, 05:00 PM
I had the right ejector hammer break in one of my Repros. I sent the gun to four different gunsmiths to try to get it fixed, two of which were nationally known as being the "best" :rolleyes: when it comes to Parker ejectors. None of them could fix the ejector---that is, until I sent it to Jack Haugh in Milan, IN. Jack's son Frank tig-welded it back together and re-hardened it. The ejector has functioned properly ever since. To my way of thinking, the Haugh's are the gunsmiths gunsmith. Google up "Jack Haugh" to get a little taste of his credentials.

Jack Haugh & Sons
4421 N. Old Milan Rd.
Milan, IN 47031
812/654-3209

did not know he worked on those new fangled guns as well :rotf:

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2008/10/jack-haugh.html

Gerry Addison
07-20-2011, 07:01 PM
He doesn't like to, has his son do most of them. He did work on a single trigger repro for me that doubled a couple of times, but he didn't like doing it.

Jay Gardner
07-20-2011, 09:00 PM
I will also join in the praises of Jack Haugh. Shortly after I acquired my 28 ga repro I discovered a problem with the safety so I took the gun to Jack. Jack found the problem was the result of a part that was somehow missing. No problem, he made the replace ment and the gun was good as new. Ask anyone who has ever seen one of Jack's flintlocks and they will tell you that there is nothing related that Jack can't make and that includes parts for just about anything. Also, I believe his rate is around $35/hour.

Gary Laudermilch
07-21-2011, 08:26 AM
Thanks so much for the info you guys have provided. I will be following up with the suggestions to see if I can get my baby back in order. Thanks a bunch!