PDA

View Full Version : Reproduction Trigger

Mark Landskov
07-20-2011, 07:53 AM
Hi everybody! Curiosity is getting the best of me, and like the proverbial cat, will probably kill me (if my wife doesn't do it)! The Parker reproductions are really nice, and I have only one concern, the single trigger. I have owned only 8 SxS shotguns, all with double triggers, and absolutely no experience with single triggers. Are the single triggers reliable on the repros? I am certainly not doubting the quality, just doing my homework. Also, in the photo below....do the triggers and guard look sorta gnarly, or is it just a poor photo? The front trigger does not have the typical curve and the little 'hook' behind the rear trigger looks twisted. Thanks, and Cheers!

Joe Bernfeld
07-20-2011, 09:31 AM
Picture looks fine, although it's a bit blurry. Parker Repro single triggers seem to be (mostly) ok after cleaning 25 years of congealed factory grease out. All my doubles have DT, so I am only speaking from what I have heard.

Dean Romig
07-20-2011, 10:21 AM
My (only) Repro single trigger works fine but the selector switch is extremely stiff.

Eric Eis
07-20-2011, 01:10 PM
I am like Dean both of my Repo's single triggers work fine though the selector switch is stiff but that could be because I don't use it much. Whatever you do never oil the Single trigger then you will have problems.

Marvin Kells
07-21-2011, 03:21 PM
My first two Repros were ST guns and both doubled routinely. Out of frustration I sold them both and bought a Repro with double triggers, even though I'd never shot DTs in my life. Now I wouldn't even consider a single trigger side by side!

Given your experience with DT guns, and my experience with ST Repros, I recommend you stick to double triggers! Resale value is better as well, if that's any consideration.

Carl Brandt
07-21-2011, 05:14 PM
I have had doubling experience with one repro single trigger and two late Rem Parker single triggers which I believe the repro trigger was patterned after. In all three cases the doubling resulted from the selector not properly seating in the L or R detent. There is a small cross pin that retains the selector and detent spring which can work loose and prevent full movement of the selector. Even the smallest misalignment of the selector will cause the trigger mechanism to trip both sears simultaneously. You must remove the stock to examine this condition and make sure the pin is not contacting wood. I hope this helps.

Carl.

Mark Landskov
07-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks, everybody! I see that the double trigger guns fetch more money, but it will be worth it in the long run. Cheers!

Bill Murphy
07-22-2011, 02:09 PM
To answer your other question, yes, the triggers and the guard on the pictured gun are a bit rough. Even high quality gunmakers sometimes (often) don't finish and sculpture their triggers and guards as we would if we were building the gun. Even those who are hired to upgrade and engrave our guns often don't pay attention to such details. It is our job to pay extra and insist on attention to such things.

charlie cleveland
07-22-2011, 03:21 PM
nicely said bill... sometimes we forget that double trigger guns will double also..like some autoshotguns will empty themselves with one pull of the trigger.... charlie

Mark Landskov
07-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Uff Da! I really want a Parker Reproduction. I just need to figure out how to come up with the 4 digit figure. I just bought a 2011 Chevy Colorado, with my wife's blessing, so I don't think she wants to hear why it is imperative that I have a new gun! -groan-

ed good
07-26-2011, 04:35 PM
parker single triggers are unreliable by design...so, why should the repros be any different? too bad they did not use the miller design.