PDA

View Full Version : better crank up that reloader..

charlie cleveland
07-19-2011, 10:52 AM
was just back from chores and got to thinking it aint long till hunting season will be here...decided to go out and relearn and set my reloader up for some light field loads...i started at 7.30 pm and before i knew it it was11.00 pm..time sure can go by when reloading first thing i knew i had loaded up several boxes... one more session like this will give me enough shells for this coming season of dove hunting...im making up 7/8 ounce loads with the cost of lead and a lot of shooting a man gotta stretch his lead a little futher...plus the patterns a 12 ga full choked gun throws are just about unreal...may have to use my imp. cly. gun to be able to hit any thing... im just about got enough dove and quail loads do you... charlie

william faulk
07-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Charlie,

I am ready for Sept. 1st..North Zone opens for doves.Hwy 10 runs right through San Antonio.North zone on one side,South zone on other side.North opens 9/1 and South 2 weeks later.How do doves know that?
On 9/1st they all flY over to the South Zone or so it seems.
There are over 1,000.000 white wings around San Antonio.They have pushed the smaller,less aggresive Mourning dove out of the area,hardly ever see one any more.My favorite gun for doves is my 12 hammer with 7/8th loads of 7.5 shot...
Regards,
Bill

charlie cleveland
07-19-2011, 02:56 PM
we dont have many white winged doves in north miss. yet..ive seen some around towns there quite bigger than the morning dove... are the white wings as good to eat as a regular dove... are they eaieser or harder to hit than regular doves...i sure to enjoy opening day of dove season...our seasons open first saturday in sept. ...i aint much of a shot but sure do enjoy pulling the trigger on them old doubles... charlie

william faulk
07-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Charlie,
Yep..these White Wings are great on the plate.Wrap bacon around breast and cook on charcoal grill..They are much larger than Mourning Doves.
They do not fly as eratic as the Mourning but fly in big flocks ,fly higher and very fast..great pass shooting.
Texas is so dry this year that unless we get some rain..I will be at a cattle water tank in camo net with my little open choked 28 the first of the season.
Shooting comes fast and furious when 20-30 of these big boys get thirsty..
Really my favorite shoot now that I don't hunt ducks anymore......Bill :bigbye:

Keith Parrish
07-19-2011, 06:01 PM
couldn't wait til the bird season here on the west... loaded up a box of #6's and at 7/8 oz's with some 700x I went out and got two cottontail rabbits this last weekend. enough for one on the bbq pit saturday night and the other went in the crock pot for stew on Sunday. Both were great tasting and satisfied my game cravings til I can get some of the morning doves which is soon coming.

Bill, I might just have to use your cattle water idea as we also have had our water sucked out of the ranch this summer so far. There is one cattle pond just below our place an seen a little burdie traffic around there so that might be just the place to blind up and settle with some sandwiches and sodas and my 7/8ths in my SxS...

william faulk
07-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Keith..
Love Rabbit stew..mostly old tough Jack rabbits around here..not fit to eat.
I grew up in Alabama,took my 410 to school and would pick up one or two cotton tails on the way home.Those were innocent days in this world...Bill:)

Keith Parrish
07-19-2011, 06:54 PM
Yes, those days are gone. I grew up in South Georgia where we could shoot in our backyards and fish in all the neighbors ponds with out any fuss. now they are all gone and the new neighbors arent as friendly. Glad my father still has his property out there. With plenty of fishing holes and many deer and birds I look forward to going back there every chance I get.

charlie cleveland
07-19-2011, 08:57 PM
rabbit stew is probly the best thing ever put oin a plate.yep and my friendly neighbors have all passed in this life or have turned non friendly in our neck of the woods..i guess im an old hold out still let people come and go on my property...the good days they say are gone but i say there still some good ones ahead...ive had a few invitations to come and hunt with a few of the good ole boys here on the parker site...have got to go on a pheasant hunt and was treated to the best hunt in my life...also got a duck hunt to go on if uncle sam ever gives me a raise. weve had rain here in miss. soits been an unusal here we to are usally dry about now.... i woulda loaded 6 s up but them 7 1/2 is all i had in small shot...ive learned a lot about reloadingin the past few years and i know one thing for sure...i like it....... charlie

Rich Anderson
07-19-2011, 09:50 PM
You can shoot Rabbits in July??:vconfused:

charlie cleveland
07-20-2011, 06:26 AM
if rabbits are bothering your garden its legal or if you dont get caught... charlie

Jerry Harlow
07-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Charlie,

I bought 500 of the 16 GA. 2.5" Cheddite primed hulls from Precision Reloading and have 250 loaded for doves to shoot in the VH and Trojan with short chambers. They are great people to work with and I told them I needed a low pressure 1 oz. load and they fixed one up for me at 7200 psi. I like loading my own since I have on hand what I need and don't run out of any particular shot size. Loaded 7.5, 8, & 8.5 for doves. Our first Saturday in Sept. you can hunt Canada Geese in the morning (10 limit) and doves in the afternoon (15 limit). When the limit on geese was five many days I kiled my limit on both geese and doves but it is too hard to get ten geese and then what the heck do you do with them? I've tried making gooseburger but it just does not taste quite right to me.

charlie cleveland
07-20-2011, 04:04 PM
early sounds like you have one heck of a fine hunting day on geese and ducks...i never did come up with any good recipes for those old geese either..been about 40 years since ive tried eating one of them tough rascals...sure was fun hunting them things believe it or not my first goose was taken with a pellet rifle...never have loaded chedite hulls before...do they load ok and make nice crimps... charlie

Jerry Harlow
07-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Charlie,

Geese and doves in the same day. In September if you kill the little ones at the back of the flock, the ones that just hatched that spring you would think you had deer tenderloin. I fried some young goose steaks in an egg and flour batter with onions and my hunting buddies told me it was the best tenderloin they had ever eaten.

The new 16 2.5" Cheddite hulls make perfect loads with the nine-point crimp. Beautiful shells. But the ones I tried to resize after firing once had the brass crushed by the Mec resizing ring. So I'll have to skip resizing them or buy a new collet for the Mec super-sizer.

Tom Carter
07-20-2011, 05:29 PM
There's a good chance one of the fingers on your resizer is broken. Tom

Milton Starr
07-20-2011, 07:54 PM
That reminds.me Charlie I need to get some 10 ga hulls to you. Watch for brass splinting on these winchesters. I myself am.thinking of buying some rmc solid brass and rmc reloading kit. . Will set me back about 160$ but I hear those brass cases.can.last.hundreds or more reloads I read where one guy got 3000 loads per shell low psi tho.

Milton Starr
07-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Charlie,

Geese and doves in the same day. In September if you kill the little ones at the back of the flock, the ones that just hatched that spring you would think you had deer tenderloin. I fried some young goose steaks in an egg and flour batter with onions and my hunting buddies told me it was the best tenderloin they had ever eaten.

The new 16 2.5" Cheddite hulls make perfect loads with the nine-point crimp. Beautiful shells. But the ones I tried to resize after firing once had the brass crushed by the Mec resizing ring. So I'll have to skip resizing them or buy a new collet for the Mec super-sizer.

I bought a 16 ga so I could shoot purple hulls haha. It was a ithaca 37 57' vintage. It was one of the models without the trigger disconnecter . It kicked worse than.my.2 1/4 oz 10 ga shells. I got it for 180$ sold it though to my boss for 100$

Keith Parrish
07-20-2011, 09:33 PM
You can shoot Rabbits in July??:vconfused:

308. Brush, Cottontail and Pigmy Rabbits, and Varying Hare (Snowshoe).
(a) General Season and Area: The general season shall open on July 1 extending through the last Sunday in January, and shall be open statewide except for that area described in (d) below.

and I don't live in the area described...

:bigbye:
In California you can. And yes there are permits for some farms that need to protect their crops but I have to hunt mine on the open range no crop to attract them too only grasses and a lil water hole down below the house.

william faulk
07-20-2011, 10:50 PM
We can shoot nor shoot at these big ole flop ears, Jack Rabbits at any time we see them.We clean them,skin them and then nail meat to a pine board.
Then roast over a charcoal fire for 20 minutes.
Throw away nthe rabbit and eat the board as it is more tender..:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Jerry Harlow
07-20-2011, 10:58 PM
There's a good chance one of the fingers on your resizer is broken. Tom

Tom,

The 16 loader I'm using is a 600 Jr. with the short shell kit. The resizing ring that slips right over American brass/steel/aluminum crushes the Cheddite metal, whatever it is, I was referring to getting a 16 GA collet for my Mec Super-sizer; only have 12 gauge now for the free-standing unit.

Don't know why it does it, but the first three once fired hulls I tried to deprime and resize, were trashed.

Keith Parrish
07-20-2011, 10:58 PM
HAHAHAHA!!!!
YOU GOTA GET YOU ONE OF THEM CROCK POTS THERE BILL...

YOUR BOARD WILL COME OUT FALLING OFF THE NAILS!!!! TENDER AND JUICY JUST HOW I LIKE EM!

charlie cleveland
07-21-2011, 09:30 PM
them pine boards are mighty tasty but thatpine tar in one of those rich boards are murder on false teeth...have troublewith teeth sticking together... gonna get me a crock pot too... charlie

Keith Parrish
07-21-2011, 10:04 PM
Charlie,

I won mine at one of the Porteguese feista's auctions. You can get em for 30 bucks and they will cook a stew with 2 full rabbits. You put them in with your fixings and forget about it until 3 hours later and you got the best stew you ever had.

Never done it with dove or duck but plan on it real soon like. I'll let you know how they turn out.