PDA

View Full Version : How difficult to fit barrels?

tom tutwiler
09-08-2009, 06:07 PM
I'm sure I'm asking a question that has been asked constant times, but I'm getting old and forgetful so I'll ask once more.

How difficult is it to fit a set of 12 gauge number 2 frame barrels to another 12 gauge number 2 frame gun? Both guns are extractors. Also, does it make a difference between early (say 1900 made VH) versus (say 1910 made VH)?

Lastly, if one makes the switch, is is better to have the replacement barrels available with their matching forend, or using the existing forend on the original gun?

Inquiring minds want to know. PS. Assume the same rules would apply with a 16 gauge or a 20 gauge etc., as long as the frames are the same size.

Thanks for educating me.

Russ Jackson
09-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Tom, I can't answer your question but I have a neat scenario, I have a VH ,16 Ga. on an O frame,and a 20 ,Ga. ,GH Grade,on the O frame, the 16 Ga. barrels and foreend fit right on the 20 Ga. frame, lock up tight and appear as if they were made for the gun, and I use the gun this way alot , but the 20 Ga. barrels are not even close to being able to fit the 16 Ga. frame .Also the 20 Ga. fore end will not work with the 16 Ga. barrels . Don't know why but I bet I am not the only one that has seen this ! Russ

Bruce Day
09-08-2009, 09:04 PM
The conventional wisdom is that they can usually be fitted without undue machining if they are within 10,000 sn's of each other. There are no sure things with fitting extra or replacement Parker barrels.
Hope this has been useful in your considerations.

Dave Noreen
09-09-2009, 01:10 AM
The 1900 gun would have a plain notch in the barrel lug and a corresponding bolt in the frame and a 1910 gun would have the replaceable bolt plate in the lug and a bolt in the frame to mate into the bolt-plate.

Dave Miles
09-09-2009, 06:15 AM
Tom,
It all depends on how close the barrels fit. I have fitted a couple myself, that were real close. And I've had a couple fitted by others, that weren't so close.
As to the forearm, it to can go either way. If your fitting a barrel that has it's own forearm, I would try to use that forearm myself.
I can highly recommend Dewey Vicknair for the work if needed.
http://www.vicknairrestorations.com/index.html

Francis Morin
09-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Try Brad Bachelder-- bachelderfirearm@aol.com or 616-459-3636 Tuesday through Fridays 10 Am. to 5 Pm. EST- also a friend had a 12 Ideal Smith rebarreled by Simmons in Olathe, KS- I have never dealt with Mr. Vicknair personally, but he has an outstanding reputation. Mae and I went out to PA this past June, to visit both Gettysburg and Valley Forge (and see one of my sisters in Devon as well) and I had e-mailed Mr. Vicknair before we left, believe he lives near Liditz, and he was very hospitable. Turned out we didn't have time to stop to say "hello" on that trip.

Brad recently rebarreled an older 12 GH Damascus Parker No. 2 frame sn: 115346 with a set of Vulcan 28" barrels sn: 102237 and installed a buttstock from yet another Parker, fine job, the gun shoots perfectly, right to point of aim, and fits me just right. Brad is also a member of the PGCA. :cool:

Bruce Day
09-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Dave Noreen is correct. With a 1900/1910 swap, you will need to machine out the barrel lug bite and install the bolt wear plate so that it mates with the locking bolt of a 1910 gun. Parker regularly did this on guns sent back for routine maintenance. Its not an amateur job, fitting barrels is a job for an experienced Parker gunsmith. Get the angles or fit wrong and you can tell from many feet away. The internet ads are full of them, maybe that's why they are there.