PDA

View Full Version : Northern NH Grouse Outlook

Stephen Hodges
07-12-2011, 08:56 PM
I don't know how may of you guys hunt Northern New Hampshire for Grouse/woodcock, but we are seeing lots of broods at camp off Indian Stream Road this summer. It's been a little wet, but the birds seem to have done well. If it continues, we shoud have a third year of really good hunting. Just don't hunt after mile marker 13 :rotf:

Dean Romig
07-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the report Steve. How's the feral apple crop this year?

Sheesh... only early July and I'm getting cranked up already *groan*;)

Stephen Hodges
07-13-2011, 07:32 AM
Lots of Apples. No frost after the blossoms this spring. They are already doing the usual mid-summer shedding, and the deer are into them. Do not know about the acorn crop yet. It has been pretty good the last two years, so who knows. I also spoke to a friend who has a camp in Errol near the Maine border, and he reports good broods of grouse also.

Dave Suponski
07-13-2011, 11:11 AM
This is certainly good new's! I'm ready.....:rolleyes:

Stephen Hodges
07-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Yah, me too, all I need now is to be able to hit them:banghead:

Dean Romig
07-13-2011, 12:44 PM
"Those who can... do.
Those who can't... teach."

I'm lousy at both.

Dave Suponski
07-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Aww ya can't be that bad....Danny call's ya "Father Forest" I call ya something else......:whistle:

Rick Losey
07-13-2011, 05:39 PM
"Those who can... do.
Those who can't... teach."

I'm lousy at both.

those who can't teach ...supervise :whistle:

Gary Laudermilch
08-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Just came across your northern NH report. That is sure good news. My son and I have been hunting there for several years now and last year was the best we have ever seen. We are from PA and make a trip up there every year and we will be there with much anticipation again this year. I did have some concern when I heard through the grapevine that many of the roads were closed due to washed out culvert pipes and may limit our ability to get to some of our favorite spots. What is your take on the road situation.

Thanks a bunch for the report! If it would just cool off some I would be ready to go right now!

Dean Romig
08-05-2011, 10:21 AM
I haven't heard a report yet from my friends in Vermont's Northeast Kingdom but I'll shoot him an e-mail today. I sure hope he has good news... last year was a poor one on the land we hunt.

Dean Romig
08-06-2011, 06:49 AM
Just received an e-mail from my friend in Vt. Seems he's got a bad hip and hadn't been out much. (I told him at his age it's probably arthritis.. "Take some ibuprophen and get out there!" I said.) but he did tell me they had way too much rain in the spring months and that seldom bodes well for the young broods. Lots of deer though, he told me.

Dave Suponski
08-06-2011, 07:53 AM
That's not good news Dean......

Stephen Hodges
08-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Just got back from a long weekend at camp. Saw quite a few birds on the roads. Saw one brood that looked small, probably a re-nest. Hunting may not be quite as good as the past two years, but I think it will still be ok, even saw some resident woodcock while fishing. The water is really low, as low as I have ever seen it. As far as the roads go, all are open now and in good shape. We couldn't get into camp until the 4th, but every road is open now.

Gary Laudermilch
08-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the update on birds and road conditions. My two boys(english setters) and I anxiously await our return to northern NH.