PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Gene Langston
07-12-2011, 02:14 PM
New to the board. I only have one Parker gun, a 12 gauge Grade 2 made in 1891, shot it for the first time today and it shot well. I need a wood screw for the top buttplate, which is apparently longer than the bottom one as it doesn't fit.

It's hard to find those large woodscrews nowadays.

Glad to find this source.

Harry Collins
07-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Gene,

Welcome aboard! You might be able to get the screw from Galazans. Call and tell them what you want.

What grame size is your GH? Could post some pictures? I have two made a few years after yours that are both #1 frames. What a delight to carry, but if I'm shooting sporting clays I only shoot 1 or 7/8 oz just to be easy on this old shoulder.

Harry

Gene Langston
07-12-2011, 04:45 PM
If it's the number above the serial number, it's a 2.

I don't understand the numbering system on Parker guns, being a neophyte. I got the serial number down, but that's about it. There's a C on the barrel flats, along with a 4 with the superscript 9.

I'll send some pictures later, but being new, I'll have to figure out the process. It's got nice wood, but needs a lot of TLC.

Harry Collins
07-13-2011, 08:34 AM
The 4 9 was the barrel weight, four pounds nine ounces. The 2 is the grade. the frame size is on the rear lug of the barrels. With as much as your barrels weigh I would venture the frame size is 2 which is stout.

Harry

Gene Langston
07-13-2011, 08:47 AM
Yep, it's a size 2. A heavy shotgun.

Rick Losey
07-13-2011, 09:28 PM
It's hard to find those large woodscrews nowadays.

What size do you need - lots of the large and odd numbered sizes are still available at the dealers who cater to longrifle builders

http://www.tennesseevalleymanufacturing.com/catalog.php?category=all

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=14&subId=168&styleId=773&partNum=SCREW-10X1V

and others

Gene Langston
07-13-2011, 09:59 PM
I don't know the size as there's nothing to compare it to. It's a pretty big screw is all I know. It's a simple wood screw, just bigger than usual. I should probably go to my hardware store, buy a zinc screw and burn the finish off it.

Francis Morin
07-13-2011, 11:40 PM
I don't know the size as there's nothing to compare it to. It's a pretty big screw is all I know. It's a simple wood screw, just bigger than usual. I should probably go to my hardware store, buy a zinc screw and burn the finish off it.- I have a cigar box ( R.G. Dung) full of buttplate and recoil screws, including the older fillister type used by Parker, Smith, Ithaca years ago- if you can post a foto and show the OAL and the thread configuration, I betcha I can get your an original- which were NOT Phillips heads, like used today- but a straight slot--$1.00 plus the shipping to you- fair enuf???:bigbye::bigbye:

Gene Langston
07-14-2011, 08:45 AM
Fair enough! I'll just have to figure out how to test the thread and width of the screw. Can get the head diameter just fine.

Francis Morin
07-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Fair enough! I'll just have to figure out how to test the thread and width of the screw. Can get the head diameter just fine.- just lay the existing screw on a machinist's rule and count the number of thread turns per inch- close enough, as this is going into wood, and not drilled and tapped steel- Be glad to help you out, and welcome to the PGCA brotherhood! Lotsa good info on double guns here-:bigbye:

Gene Langston
07-14-2011, 09:40 AM
That's the problem...there is no existing screw. I'll have to try to match it with a screw that's not correct, then get an idea of the length.

There is a bottom plate screw, but it's smaller than the top screw apparently. It goes through the drill hole with little resistance.

Harry Collins
07-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Francis,

Pull the screws out of one of your Parker's and try to match them for the fellow. What do you think?

Harry

Francis Morin
07-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Francis,

Pull the screws out of one of your Parker's and try to match them for the fellow. What do you think?

Harry--But my pet pheasant duster (GHE 12) that Brad put together for me has a Red pachmayr pad- not a DHBP--and my 12 PH with 30" Twist barrels -someone replaced the original slotted head screws with a set of Phillips head recessed slots blued screws- the gun drops pigeons like Gangbusters- but it is NOT 100% as to that factor- I think I have some that will work- so once I get an address will send him some- he can pick and choose, return or buy the rest- walk in da park deal for me- but thanks for the "McGuyver" practical suggestion:bigbye:

Gene Langston
07-15-2011, 02:03 PM
My address is:

135 Hight Dr
Watkinsville, GA 30677

I appreciate the offer! I've got a wood screw that semi-fits, but it's not "right." I may have to build up the drill hole and use one that's not period correct. Right now I'm having a stock repair on the stock behind the tang being fixed.

Francis Morin
07-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Just finished a great novel about John Henry Holliday from Griffen, GA. Always glad to help out any man who lives in Dixie- will pack up an assortment and ship your way- we'll wrangle out the details later- maybe with a glass of George Dickel or Rebel Yell- both hard to find up here, but well worth the search- :bigbye::bigbye:

Gene Langston
07-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks! I know both Geroge Dickel and Rebel Yell. For Bourbon, I prefer Bulleit, which is a great burbon!

Francis Morin
07-15-2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks! I know both Geroge Dickel and Rebel Yell. For Bourbon, I prefer Bulleit, which is a great burbon!-- George Dickel is the bourbon of choice for Merle Haggard- and years ago, a neighbor and his missus- both from Opelika, AL- I did their driveway and watched the house when they went down home for Xmas-New Year's- he brough me back a fifth of Rebel Yell- smooth as a Jawja peach too- now if I could only find some J.T.S. Brown to try- but when all else fails- Bushmills is still my favorite- will ship out the parcel to you Sat- three assorted buttplate-grip cap screws, hope one will "fit the bill" and again, welcome to the PGCA brotherhood-:bigbye: