PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in Alaska

Richard Flanders
09-07-2009, 04:09 PM
I finally found some of the good grayling holes in the Tuluksak River here in Nyac. Fishing is as good as I've seen in years, as long as you have a .44 in your pocket. Caught a bunch last night and loads a few nights ago from 14"-17". Here's a shot of one from last night caught on my 00-wt Sage rod and a dry fly. Unfortunately, a grizzly walked up 10ft behind me and ended my fishing for the evening. Don't think I've ever had one so close in 36yrs of remote Alaska work. The river is also thick with silver salmon that are about spawned out and it has a dolly Varden and char run also. Am really hoping to catch the char run with the light fly rod! Best eating fish in Alaska in my opinion.

james van blaricum
09-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Nice looking fish. I took a bunch on yellow humpies #14 and 16's. I was on a week float trip on the salmon river. Great fish.jvb

C Roger Giles
09-07-2009, 07:27 PM
Richard;

I am clear down here in Ohio where the only way for me to have Artic Char is to go my local fish monger and pay $18.00 a pound, expensive yes, but who cares. Artic Char as far as a fish to eat just does not get any better. Probably a good thing that I don't reside in Alaska as I would over dose on Char and Famous Grouse.

Roger

Dave Noreen
09-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Roger,

Artic Char are what we call Dolly Vardin in Kodiak, AK. and Bull Trout down here in Washington and Idaho -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_char

Richard's fish is a Grayling -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grayling_(genus))

Dave

Richard Flanders
09-08-2009, 12:38 AM
This was a relatively small one too, maybe 14" or just under. A few nights ago I found honey hole where I caught one 15-17 incher after another on a wet fly. Nice fat hogs too. Very fun. These guys were hitting on dry flies which is even better.Generally by this time of year they're mostly after emergents and dry flies don't work but not last night. There were mayflies flying around. Narrow brushy river so it was all side and roll casting so I got a real workout. The fun factor is amplified with that light rod.

Mike Shepherd
09-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Y'all are going to have to start fishing with a wingman to cover your six O'clock!

Best,

Mike