PDA

View Full Version : Repro and ammo considerations.

Eric Grims
07-09-2011, 05:36 PM
I am very close to buying a repro in either 20 gauge or 28 gauge. One of my considerations is avoiding specialty ammo. I was wondering what folks think of a diet of off the shelf and reload AAs and other target and game loads for modern shotguns. I shoot a fair amount and would like the convenience of some of the bulk ammo deals I occasionally get and I have been set up for all my gauges with AA hulls and can crank them out readily in quantity. I ask also as I have questions about how strong the stocks may be.
As always thanks for any consideration.

Jay Gardner
07-09-2011, 06:21 PM
You can feed Repro's pretty much the same ammo you feed any modern shotgun. No reason ammo should even factor into a decision to buy/not buy a repro unless you plan on shooting a lot of steel.

Bill Murphy
07-09-2011, 06:34 PM
If the occasional Repro small gauge stock splits at the grip, it isn't because of the ammo. I have a skinny little straight grip 28 gauge Repro and I shoot standard loads in it. The 20s are even more able to handle standard and even heavier loads because of the thicker grip.

Kenny Graft
07-09-2011, 09:07 PM
My repro 20 has fired hundreds of 1-oz field loads.....and does not even kick that mutch....I realy like shooting it. I also have a 16 ga. set that has idenicle stock dementions and shoots the same for me as the 20, but the 16 lets you know after 75 rounds that its a light double.....so I save the 16 for bird huntin...(-: Parker guns and repro's do not normally have stock cracking isues...I see very few with cracks form normal use...its a good strong design. It is important to keep stock head screws tight...some will recomend checking the the original parker guns prior to any heavy use...

Joe Bernfeld
07-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Any ammo, including steel (but not through full choke) is fine in a Reproduction. I broke a 28 ga. Repro. at the wrist, but I needed to fall down on it really hard to do that!

charlie cleveland
07-10-2011, 02:04 PM
the reproduction parkers are built to withstand countless shootings...these guns are of the finest and strongest wood..plus good to look at and the metal or steel is secound to none... ask the guys who hunt ducks and geese with these guns they have shot magnum loads for a lot of years with them with no problems.. charlie

Steve Kleist
07-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Eric,
The Reproductions are made to shoot. I have a 28 ga and a 12 ga. Both get shot quite a bit. The 28 on the skeet field and the 12 ga in the duck blind shooting heavy loads all season. They are quality classy guns that are a pleasure to shoot and shoot and shoot. My only regret is not having bought one sooner. There is quite a selection out there to choose from, so get what you want the first time and have some fun.
I know there are some Parker purists out there who turn thier noses up at Reproductions, but for me it is the gun of choice.
Good Luck,
Steve Kleist Ely, MN

Eric Grims
07-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Made a deal on a 28 gauge, DT, nice wood and the chokes I want today. Once finalized and received I'll post pictures.

Eric Grims
07-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Thanks for all the replies. After looking for a 28 with DT, nice wood and ic/mod chokes I finally found one. This one is unfired but for sure will not stay that way. Here are some pics:

Joe Bernfeld
07-24-2011, 09:57 AM
Beautiful!

Paul Ehlers
07-24-2011, 09:24 PM
Very Nice!!!!

Tony Guccioni
03-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Brought this to the top just in case someone has'nt seen Gman's 28 Ga. An absolute beauty.

I can't recall seeing a prettier D grade !

ron belanger
03-24-2012, 10:02 AM
Just gorgeous!
I have been looking at the 28's too...very tempting, but I need to excercise restraint until after tax time...:crying:

I don't suppose you'd share what it cost for that beauty??? (just for research purposes of course!)

The one I have been eyeing has just jumped $200 to $4500 in price, in one day...perhaps there's a spike in values happening now?

I might also add that I recently purchased my 20 gauge Reproduction for $3950 with 26" barrels DT BTFE and same chokes as yours...nice wood on mine as well!

Eric Grims
03-24-2012, 02:15 PM
The prices you mentioned I believe are real good given double triggers and high condition. I paid retail at $5K. High I know but there are none to even look at in my area and upon inspection was unfired without a speck of blemishes. No regrets and never looked back. Lots of single triggers out there and when i was looking and very few DT.
Our club opens soon and I plan to shoot it soon. Did not open it up but if the older lubricants have hardened that would not be a big deal to clean. I have dry fired some snap caps and all seems well and she ejects fine. It's a special gun to me and as I said on the forum before I think they are one of the best quality deals out there.
Whatever the price I sure as h&#% am glad I bought it before tax time this year or it wouldn't have happened - ouch.
When you do get one post some pics!

Eric Grims
03-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Here's one looks decent and has enough triggers for my liking

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=278853853

And a twelve Gauge too:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=278150486

ron belanger
03-24-2012, 04:25 PM

And a twelve Gauge too:

Haha...! That 28 is the one I've had my eyeball on...just down the road from me, actually! Looks like the seller is going up in price as it has been at auction for a starting price of $4300 for the first 10 days...now 200 more, and he upped the price after he had started the 2nd auction! Oh well...can't buy right now anyhow, but it is fun to look! :bigbye:

ron belanger
03-24-2012, 04:26 PM
The prices you mentioned I believe are real good given double triggers and high condition. I paid retail at $5K. High I know but there are none to even look at in my area and upon inspection was unfired without a speck of blemishes. No regrets and never looked back. Lots of single triggers out there and when i was looking and very few DT.
Our club opens soon and I plan to shoot it soon. Did not open it up but if the older lubricants have hardened that would not be a big deal to clean. I have dry fired some snap caps and all seems well and she ejects fine. It's a special gun to me and as I said on the forum before I think they are one of the best quality deals out there.
Whatever the price I sure as h&#% am glad I bought it before tax time this year or it wouldn't have happened - ouch.
When you do get one post some pics!

As the saying goes..."life is short...write the check!"

Greg Baehman
03-24-2012, 05:28 PM

And a twelve Gauge too:

The 28-ga. gun in the 1st link above is advertised as having 26" barrels, but it actually has 28" barrels.

Richard Flanders
03-24-2012, 09:20 PM
Gman: you did just fine on that gun at $5k in my opinion. It's a real beauty. Gorgeous grain in the wood but it looks like the wrist grain is not squirrely enough to be an issue. Very nice.

ron belanger
03-24-2012, 09:24 PM
The 28-ga. gun in the 1st link above is advertised as having 26" barrels, but it actually has 28" barrels.

Are you going by the white tag or do you know the gun? Seems like that tag says 28" and it sure fills up the case nicely...I think you're right!
Good catch!

You'd think the owner of a gun shop would pay more attention to such an important detail...:rolleyes:

Greg Baehman
03-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Are you going by the white tag or do you know the gun? Seems like that tag says 28" and it sure fills up the case nicely...I think you're right!
Good catch!

You'd think the owner of a gun shop would pay more attention to such an important detail...:rolleyes:
I never noticed the white tag until you mentioned it. How I determined that it was a 28" gun was by looking at the shape of the lower left storage compartment of the case and then looking at the barrels resting in the case. If the barrels had been 26" long there would have been a block to fill up the barrel compartment.

For more info regarding this, see this thread:
http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4045

ron belanger
03-25-2012, 12:13 PM
I emailed the shop owner and he has verified the barrels are, in fact, 28 inches.

Thanks for the good eyes...!

His GB ad has been updated...:bigbye: