PDA

View Full Version : super glue stock

charlie cleveland
07-09-2011, 12:49 PM
gonna try some super glue on a stock here in a few minutes...its a old american arms double barrel 12 ga...its kinda my allpurpose gun...heavy loads ive shot have broke off 2 nice size slivers of wood off the stock...im like every body else hunting a miricle in a can...maybe this stuff will workwill leicha know shortley..... charlie

Rick Losey
07-09-2011, 07:15 PM
just a question, never having seen the gun, and not knowing where the damage is --- but are you sure gluing a couple pieces back on is enough?

The only double (my first - a Sterlingworth) I had pieces come of the head of the stock, needed new wood. I took it to the range one more time with the old wood before starting the project. Turns out another wood silver had come loose inside and lodged near the sear. The right barrel went off when I closed the gun. A 12 gauge load makes a big looking hole in the ground when its right in front of you. :shock:

charlie cleveland
07-09-2011, 10:37 PM
your question is well took...thanks for the concern...the damage was at the top of the stock where it joins the reciever...i had the stock off so no wood or any thing down in guns mechanics...wood was free of oil so it glued back together well...i then put a coat of super glue on the inside of the stock head...should be stronger than ever now...i put it back together and ran 20 2 3/4 inch magnums through it...no cracking apperared looks ok so far.. they have a new super glue out that doesnt set up so fast and said was made for vibrations and poundings so i tried it seems to do the job only time will tell... charlie

Harry Collins
07-10-2011, 05:52 PM
I've not tried super glue on stocks. However, Acraglas has always worked for me on cracked stocks.

Harry

charlie cleveland
07-10-2011, 08:03 PM
will have to get me some acra glass...this project came up on a whim and i was in walmart and the super glue was about all they had...ive tried elmers and garilia glue on another project with no sucess...as ive been told the secret to good bonding is to make sure all the oil is out of the wood...i was lazy on my first project but will heed all the knowledge and advise given from now on...live and learn and i also shot the super glue stock some this evening still holding together.... charlie

tom leshinsky
07-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Charlie, The super glue you want to use will be found in hobby shops that deal in remote control model airplanes. It comes in different viscosities. The super thin works great on fine cracks. brownell sells it too but you can get it locally with no shipping. You can imagine it has to be strong because these planes take a beating.

Ed Blake
07-10-2011, 09:10 PM
You also need to make sure the wood you are glueing is clean and free from imbedded oil to ensure the epoxy cures properly. If not you are wasting your time.

charlie cleveland
07-12-2011, 05:22 PM
ed what you said is true i tried to glue a oily stosk 3 times and the glue want stick to good.. charlie

Ed Blake
07-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Charlie, to degrease that wood get EZOff oven cleaner and spray and rinse with COLD water until the brown stuff stops leaching out. Stand the wood to dry thoroughly before you reglue. An old tooth brush will help get the junk out during the cleaning. This takes all finish and dirt out of the wood, but it's the only way to make a repair like that.

Richard Flanders
07-13-2011, 09:48 AM
I use super glue to re attach the small chips that sometimes come off around a receiver or tang when you take a gun apart that has not been apart in 80+ yrs. I try to do it immediately and generally use a blunted round toothpick to hold the chip in while the glue dries so that I can see if it's seating back in completely. I'll usually then take and exacto knife and relieve the edge of the chip just a smidgen to get it away from the metal. this works well. I've also glued quite a few shattered violin tops back together with super glue, none of which have ever failed since. It works very well for that. I don't do it on expensive violins... just older "fiddles" that my clients use mostly for square dancing and such. If the wood is clean, super glue works very well. It's good for filling cracks also. You first make dust with a file from wood like you are filling, force the dust into the cracks then drip low viscosity super glue onto the fill until it's soaked and let it dry and work it down. I use that method to fill in around pearl or silver inlaying on stringed instrument finger boards and fiddle tail pieces. Haven't ever found an alternate method that works better.

charlie cleveland
07-13-2011, 03:58 PM
richard your a man of many talents..thanks for the advice on filling cracks..gonna put this in my note book got to where i cant remember yesterday...i use to use oven cleaner on old greasy enjine parts now maybe i can glue that old stock back together.... c harlie

Jerry Harlow
07-13-2011, 08:32 PM
Charlie,

The man that repairs my cracked and dinged stocks swears by Crazy Glue, as being superior to Super Glue in his opinion. I watched him repair dings that would not lift with steam by using Crazy Glue in the indentation and then walnut dust/powder. When it is sanded flush it looks just like part of the original wood, as Richard described before this post. Uses it on open and unopen cracks as well. CHE's advice on the different viscosity of the glue is something I did not know. Good advice.

He soaks oily stocks and forends in laquer thinner and I have degreased and stripped several that way before finishing. Not only does it remove grease, but restores a hundred years old compressed oil -soaked wood and the wood will again be slightly proud above the mating surface where once it was slightly below. I had a recoil pad that was larger than the butt of the stock and after soaking the stock was bigger than the pad. The good thing is it dries so quickly. I use the environmentally friendly laquer thinner and it works as well as the original stuff. It will probably remove your Ape Glue that you applied. Of course this means a refinish with lots of grain filling and sanding and oh so many coats of finish. Just my 2 cents. Experts stock finishers on here may disagree.

charlie cleveland
07-13-2011, 10:10 PM
J. A. im learning more and more aboutwood and the things you can use to fix broke stocks and the such...a question..does any body think that old parker stock of mine will hold together with just the glue..or should i go ahead and try the small threaded rods with the glue...stock is completely broke in 2 pieces at the wrist... thanks charlie

Jerry Harlow
07-14-2011, 10:52 AM
Charlie,

My opinion is that with a completely broken stock at the wrist, I would not want to waste time trying to glue it without major pinning, done by a professional. Can you do photos? It was the DH 10 GA right?

p.s. Enjoyed your article.

charlie cleveland
07-14-2011, 10:01 PM
yes it was the 10 ga dh stock..ive got to relearn the picture making.. daughter was helping me but were are thwey when you need them..ha i think your right im going to pin the old stock or get somebody to whiddle me one out..glad you liked the artcule the thanks really goes to calvin for beingthe nicest persons you could ever meet and a really good shot with that old ten parker...but dean is the man who all the praise should go to hes the man who took a story and was able to put it in the fine magazine PARKER PAGES ... charlie

Brent Francis
07-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Wood working supply stores or online sell a "superior" form of super glue called CA it comes in different dry times etc. Ive found it to be good stuff for all kinds of repairs although its kind of pricey

Richard Flanders
07-17-2011, 12:11 PM
Look on websites that sell supplies for fossil restoration. Those folks go through buckets of CA glue(super glue) and have suppliers that supply it in a variety of viscosities. I have brochures at home that I got at the Tuscon gem show that are a must have for the serious CA glue user. You can buy liter bottles; none of the .25oz tube for those folks. It's much cheaper per unit vol in larger bottles also.

charlie cleveland
07-17-2011, 02:43 PM
boy i hope i dont need a bucket of that super glue...thats gonna mean a lotta broke stocks... at the moment super glue is holding the stock together..but i have not shot it yet the other times i glued it never held.. charlie

Peter Harris
09-08-2011, 01:59 PM
I am told that the finest CA glues for stock repairs come from America. One name I was recommended was ZAP?

charlie cleveland
09-11-2011, 05:21 PM
im trying the 4 th new glue a friend who is a better wood worker than me is trying his best glue of some kind..hopefully it will hold but i dont have much faith that it will hold..i too think it needs to be pinned...if it does not hold im just going to restock it.. its just a shooter anyway.... charlie

E Robert Fabian
09-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Charlie, Acra Glass will do the job, it's for bedding rifle barrels and is a slow set epoxy that will bond anything. I have a patch on a old wood beam and you can hit it with a hammer and hardly make a mark. You can buy it at Brownells or Midway supply.

charlie cleveland
09-11-2011, 08:26 PM
if my friends method does not work i will try the accru glass.. others have also recommended accru glass i just fell to try it...thanks charlie

Peter Harris
09-12-2011, 02:21 AM
Personally, I believe that if a stock is broken all the way through, it MUST be pinned and glued. Glue on its own I don't think is strong enough. But with today's technology I also believe that nearly every stock can be repaired satisfactorily.