PDA

View Full Version : Another day closer..........

Jack Cronkhite
07-09-2011, 12:05 AM
Closer to what, you ask. Closer to whatever is coming our way that remains unknown to us but is inevitable. I like to think of it as another day closer to "the opener", which makes it another day closer for the final closer for the waterfowl destined to become "duck a l'orange". Ma Nature sure puts on a show for us though, as we contemplate the meaning behind it all.

Cheers,
Jack

Mark Landskov
07-09-2011, 07:43 AM
Hoot Mon! I spend the better part of 10 MONTHS waiting for the opportunity to chase the ever elusive Ruffed Grouse. I only wish that I could make it through the late fall temperatures when the foliage has diminished significantly and visibility is pert near infinite (by Minnesota dense forest standards, that is). I always enjoyed sunset at sea, especially if I had a chance to catch the 'Green Flash'. As always, Cheers!

Rich Anderson
07-09-2011, 07:57 AM
The two best places to spend a sunrise or sunset is in either a duck blind or a deer blind. I enjoyed a beautifull sunset on the Zambezi River that was none to shabby but that certainly isn't an everyday occurrance.

Jack Cronkhite
07-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Africa is on my bucket list. Your younger "sister" has decided it needs to be checked off the list, soo..... Over the month of November, she and I will wander from Nairobi, Kenya to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. She has made all the arrangements. Wait until I tell her she forgot the Zambezi - maybe another trip, if we survive this one. The camera will be getting a real workout.

I do remember sunrises witnessed while waiting for the ducks and geese to head out for breakfast. I'm now a "lazy" hunter. Haven't seen many sunrises in the field over the past couple decades but every time out, I watch the sunset and then do the half hour countdown, if I'm short a rooster or two. Can't count how many times that last half hour has filled the bag for the day.

Cheers,
Jack

Marc Retallack
07-09-2011, 10:44 AM
A little motivation for you Jack...

Jack Cronkhite
07-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks Marc. Yep, they are on the agenda, along with as many species as we can get close to. Daughter has been a giraffe nut forever, which was the spark on her end to get on with this adventure sooner than later. What lens were you using? How close were you getting to the animals? Motivation is setting in alright - just have to deal with roosters for the month of October and then give them a go again in December, if I can still hike after a month through lion country.

Cheers,
Jack

Marc Retallack
07-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Jack

Space was a consideration on the trip, so I left my film SLR and lenses at home. I was using a simple Sony DSC-H5 point-and-shoot with it's 12x Zeiss lens. Distance on the lions was maybe 100yds +/-. I was on horseback for the shot on the wildebeest which seemed to put them more at ease. Maybe 50-60yds.

A couple more. The top is a sunset in the Matopos region of Zimbabwe. Also, one for your daughter. Sorry about the quality. That little fella wouldn't let me closer than a couple hundred yds so my lens was maxed. Finally, game bird storage, native style (Apologies again. I couldn't use a flash in the hut and the shutter speed was awfully slow.)

Jack Cronkhite
07-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the pics. She will be thrilled to see the giraffes up close and personal, especially the young ones. I thought about leaving the heavy camera gear at home, but... then I thought this is likely a once in a lifetime trip, so the gear has it's own backpack (won't bother with a tripod). I'll take a pocket camera, and two Canon backs so I don't have to change the lenses. The two going are 100-400 and 17-85. I'll go light on clothing (except good boots). Any advice on any aspect of spending a month in Africa will be appreciated. Some of the nights are in tents (but from what I have seen in pics, these tents would beat a Motel 6 or Super 8 room.) She has it organized that all the game drives are just the two of us with a local driver/guide.

Cheers,
Jack

Rich Anderson
07-09-2011, 06:51 PM
When I have hunted in Africa you only needed a couple days clothing and yesterdays laundry is washed, pressed and laid out on your bed when you get back to camp. Camp will have hot and cold running water and a flush toilet complete with shower.

Take extra batteries for the camera as they are VERY hard to find. I assume your going on a photo safari and not taking a rifle:whistle:

Kenya was THE hunting destination for East Africa. The Norfolk Hotel in Nariobi has seen it's share of famous hunters such as Raurk, Hemingway, O'Connor, Kings, Princes and Presidents grace its doors. It was a wild and crazy place back in the day. Tanzania is the Alaska of Africa very few roads and everything just about is flown in. Its the most expensive country to hunt in Africa.

If I ever come into a wad of cash a 30 day safari to Tanzania would be the crown jewel to my hunting sorties.

You'll have a wonderfull time..tell sis I'm so jealous:envy:

Jack Cronkhite
07-09-2011, 07:48 PM
I'll let her know. Yes, photo safari. I would be forever exiled from the family if I were to take any animal. As a kid, that was a dream but I'm happy enough now to just view.

Cheers,
Jack

Marc Retallack
07-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Jack

The first thing I'd suggest is choose your traveling companion wisely. Sounds like that one's taken care of. When I was in Zimbabwe, I was with a good friend who had lived there for the better part of a decade. It was great spending a month there with someone who knew the country so well.

If you have opportunities to do some foot safaris, take em. Seeing game from a vehicle is enjoyable but not the same as face to face. Along with that, see if you can opt for a night or two of "real camping";). I spent a few nights sleeping with a ground mat/sleeping bag under the African sky in Hwange National Park. You'll never see a more amazing sky or hear more things go bump in the middle of the night. Hwange is a "park" in name only. You are required to be accompanied by a PH while you're camping there. My PH Dennis Paul had a Win Mdl 70 .375 H&H with us at all times.

Try as much game meat as you can while there. My favorites were warthog and eland.

I can't speak for the part of Africa you'll be in, but the people I came in contact with were very friendly. If you reciprocate that friendliness, I think it will make your trip all the more enjoyable.

You won't regret going Jack. I hope I may return someday.

All the best
Marcus

charlie cleveland
07-09-2011, 10:16 PM
jack you know were your going that a lot of things have very big teeth..i too once dreamed of the african hunt just about every hunter has...jack i hope you and your daughter have a hunt of a life time and get to wear them cameras out...dont forget them sharp teeth fellas.... charlie