PDA

View Full Version : Appaloosa 8 gauge

Ron Mueller
07-06-2011, 12:30 PM
No, the movie never acknowledged the manufacture, it did give me the motivation to search for one. Since I found the 10, as noted in my previous thread, this is the 8 gauge I found.

Ordered 12/1882, shipped 5/1883 by/to E.C. Meachum Arms, St. Louis, MO.
#34620, 8 gauge, Quality 1 hammer, Laminated steel (not marked), 34". F X F chokes. To achieve the 13 lb. specification, 'tis a 7 frame. Ended up a few ozs. over 13 lbs. Ordered w/rubber butt. No specs on stock length.

Appears to have had a faire amount of field use, bores were neglected, muzzle rounded a bit. Acid hands at two places on the barrels. Stock appears to have been shortened, now has steel butt plate. Deadeye Dick mentioned the shortening was sometimes done to facilitate heavy winter clothing.

Checked with Brad Bachelder last Fall, about restoration, the acid marks and all. Haven't decided to let loose of it yet.

Enjoy,
Dutch Dalton

Ron Mueller
07-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Please find attached the link to the manufacture of the actual movie shotgun.

Best,
DD

www.imfdb.org/wiki/SK_1878_shotgun

charlie cleveland
07-06-2011, 04:11 PM
looks like they went to a lot of trouble and exspense to make those 8 gauges... was a fair movie to..they just did not play up the big gun enough...charlie

Milton Starr
07-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Yeah I seen that awhile back I was disappointed it wasn't a reall 8 ga. And you can use that meathoad to make a 8 gauge because of heat treatment