PDA

View Full Version : Looking for pattern - Vertical Double Gun Rack

Jack Cronkhite
09-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Hello gents: This year I plan to spend several consecutive days in the field and intend to take our small motorhome. I would like to build a rack to accommodate at least 3 Parkers and two back-ups (Winchester 1200 and SKB XL900) The game will be to take some pheasant and eat a few on the road and come home with a possession limit. Not my normal routine but mother convinced me that I should accompany her on a cruise that will see me miss the last half of the early season and some of the late. She has put up with me for 40 hunting seasons now so I guess she deserves a break for the 41st. Anyway, I digress. Back to a pattern.

Does anyone have material suggestions to ensure that road vibration will not be a factor for the butt-stock and the muzzle end of the barrels. The guns will be cased for the start and end drive, but I was thinking a rack might be handy while wandering through my favorite haunts.

Thanks for any hints.

Regards,
Jack

Bill Murphy
09-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Kevin McCormack made several very lightweight, foldable racks for our gun club's Tuesday afternoon sporting clays shoots. Maybe he would send you the plans or pictures. Constructed from Juglans Regia and accessorized with leather, they may meet your criteria. However, I'm confused by the "road vibration". Do you plan to leave your uncased guns in a rack while driving? Not for me.

Jack Cronkhite
09-16-2009, 10:49 PM
Thanks Bill: The thought was while in the field, moving between my various good spots, the gun could be racked rather than in and out of a case. Once I'm where I want to be, I wander about 30 miles on back roads with short trips of a few miles between stops. There will be a degree of vibration (not great) but I thought if I do this, I would pad the rack and ensure the rack holds the gun(s) tightly but gently. Once I leave the back roads, I would be travelling 50 to 100 miles to my next favorite haunts and the gun is cased.

Here's a shot of why I gravitate to this area. Excuse the SKB, I hope to repeat the image this year with the Parker(s).

Cheers,
Jack
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/albums/userpics/normal_20071109_IMG_9999_31_sgw.JPG