PDA

View Full Version : One shot can make your day

david ross
07-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Hi All.:)
I was out on the farm with my dog Meg and the old parker and as i came
down the path by the big oaks a wood pigeon came over the trees up go's
the old gun down comes the pigeon. And i said to myself you do not have to
shoot big bags to make the day some times one good pigeon will do.

All the best Dave:bigbye:

william faulk
07-01-2011, 11:30 AM
You are so right...Love your dog !
Bill

david ross
07-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Thanks Bill from me and Meg.
Some times less is more as they say.

Dean Romig
07-01-2011, 12:35 PM
That looks like a nice Parker David... have we seen closer pictures of it yet??

david ross
07-01-2011, 01:24 PM
That looks like a nice Parker David... have we seen closer pictures of it yet??

Hi Dean.
Yes i think i did but in case not here are a few more.
Parker vhe 1/2 size frame No 240830 1937. made for a Mr Tacey on IBM card.
30 inch Barrels choke full-full.
All the best Dave.:bigbye:

PS as 1/2 size guns are rare would it qualify as a lost and found gun ?
Thanks Dean.
All the best Dave:whistle:

Dean Romig
07-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Very nice David!! You should notify Josh Lowensteiner to include it in the Parkers Found section of Parker Pages. I see it has a Remington "Parker" buttplate - is the grip cap of the late "Ilion NY" style?

Thank you so much for that nice touch with the Flag of the United States of America. What is the story behind your US flag?

david ross
07-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Very nice David!! You should notify Josh Lowensteiner to include it in the Parkers Found section of Parker Pages. I see it has a Remington "Parker" buttplate - is the grip cap of the late "Ilion NY" style?

Thank you so much for that nice touch with the Flag of the United States of America. What is the story behind your US flag?
Hi Dean
I did notify Josh Lowensteiner by email when i first got the gun with pitcs
ect and said could it be a lost or found gun . I did not get a reply so i though
that the gun was of no interest to Parker Pages as it has been restored.
The grip cap is a old parker Brothers one not Remington NY.
I hope this helps
PS do you think this gun is good enough for parker pages:whistle:
The flag when i was 10 years old a ww11 vet gave me a german mess tin and the flag was inside it how it got there who can say ? . It has -45 stars on it
and 7 red bars i some how like this old flag as i have had it all these years.

Jack Cronkhite
07-01-2011, 11:23 PM
Dave: The "make your day" one shots are memorable. I have even had memorable zero shots days, just because I was with good company on a shirt sleeve autumn day in wild country that just feels like home. Adding a Parker into the mix bumps that up another notch.

Your 45 star flag is interesting. The 45 star flag flew as the official flag of the USA from 1896-1908, pre-dating WWI by six years. The unknown story behind your flag would be interesting for sure.

History of the progression from 13 to 50 stars in the flag of the USA can be found HERE (http://www.usflag.org/history/the46starflag.html)

Cheers,
Jack

david ross
07-02-2011, 12:44 AM
Hi Jack.
Thanks at last i know some more history on my little old flag 1896-1908 but how did it get
in my German mess tin 50 years ago? Thats one we will never know.

Brent Francis
07-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Maybe some German soldier had it as a backup plan for an emergency situation. Probably would make a good story

david ross
07-02-2011, 12:41 PM
Maybe some German soldier had it as a backup plan for an emergency situation. Probably would make a good story

Hi Brent.
Yes i think you might be on the right track it would better to put the hands
up for the US ARMY than the REDS.
All the best Dave :bigbye:

King Brown
07-03-2011, 07:43 AM
David, German POW losses from starvation are well documented. Soviet POW losses from starvation are similarly shocking.

Merv Boyd
07-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Hi David,
Have to ask, did you eat the wood pigeon? My dad would shoot them and my mom would make either pigeon soup or cook them in a pressure cooker. Great eating.

They can be difficult to shoot and tough as nails to bring down. Saw my dad kill two with a single shot. Wish I could shoot half as well as he did!

That is a really nice looking Parker.

A 1/2 frame is on my wish list.

All the best,

Merv

david ross
07-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Hi Merv.
Yes i did eat that pigeon and very nice it was to. Did you live in the UK as the wood pigeon is not a US bird i like the sound of the soup is it good ?. Hope you get your 1/2 frame gun some day.
All the best Dave.

Harry Collins
07-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Dave,

I did my fair share of pigeon shooting in England. I was just starting to cook in earnest. Being a single man and taking my girlfriends out all the time was cutting into my cartridge and whisky money. I picked up a copy of Cookery Year from the Readers Digest store at Berkeley Square. It containes a delicious recipe for pigeon with lemon forcemeat balls. It is great for a large number (60) of dove as well. I always sugest we cook the pigeon from live bird shoots, but for some reason it is frowned upon.

Harry

david ross
07-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Dave,

I did my fair share of pigeon shooting in England. I was just starting to cook in earnest. Being a single man and taking my girlfriends out all the time was cutting into my cartridge and whisky money. I picked up a copy of Cookery Year from the Readers Digest store at Berkeley Square. It containes a delicious recipe for pigeon with lemon forcemeat balls. It is great for a large number (60) of dove as well. I always sugest we cook the pigeon from live bird shoots, but for some reason it is frowned upon.

Harry

Hi Harry.
Yes Harry please eat these live shoot pigeons to throw them away would be
a waste of good food cooked right pigeons make good eating.
Can you post the recipe on this forom it looks good.

Harry Collins
07-07-2011, 03:41 PM
I'll try to remember when I go home. It is a long slow cook you can put on the stove and not worry about and enjoy your guest. Meat falling off the bone.

Harry

Jack Cronkhite
07-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Although I have never attended a live pigeon shoot, my vote (if there is a vote) would be consume the birds afterwards. Makes for one less PETA argument - unless the aim is world vegetarianism.
Cheers,
Jack

Harry Collins
07-07-2011, 06:21 PM
What I do to make this work for me is make enough roux to cover the birds. I will reserve a good portion of the bacon fat and add more flour as well as add more hot chicken stock. Another hint is to buy the onions frozen. This will greatly reduce the preperation time. We in the USA do not have to remove the rind from the bacon. The forcemeat balls are worth the effort. You will need to ask the butcher for shredded beef suet and do this in advance as he may have it or will tell you when he will. Bon Appetit....

Harry

Harry Collins
07-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Keep right clicking on the image and it will become large enough to read.

I just about double the cooking time before adding the mushrooms, etc.

Harry

Fred Preston
07-07-2011, 10:38 PM
At our local NSTRA trials the bird boys breast out the deceased quail and sell them for a buck each. Sort of their tip for the day.

Merv Boyd
07-08-2011, 12:12 AM
Hi Merv.
Yes i did eat that pigeon and very nice it was to. Did you live in the UK as the wood pigeon is not a US bird i like the sound of the soup is it good ?. Hope you get your 1/2 frame gun some day.
All the best Dave.

Yes. I lived in the UK- N Ireland until I was twenty-two. Met a California girl on a trip to the states and the rest is history. That was thirty-three years ago.

I will check with my mom in regards to the soup recipe.

Thanks,

Merv

david ross
07-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Keep right clicking on the image and it will become large enough to read.

I just about double the cooking time before adding the mushrooms, etc.

Harry

Hi Harry.
Boy that looks so good i can almost smell it cooking:)
I know were my next pigeons are going. :cool: