PDA

View Full Version : ithaca lewis 10 ga

Milton Starr
06-30-2011, 04:56 PM
I just layawayed a lewis in 10 ga with great bores and the wood is still good looking. Its been a challenge to find a old sxs.that wasn't consignment. I should have it paid for by last week of july. What quality was the lewis? Like a field grade? How many 10 ga ituaca lewis were.made?

Jack Kuzepski
06-30-2011, 07:09 PM
Milt,

The Old Ithaca doubles were named after the designers, Lewis, Crass, Flues and Minier. Each model (Lewis, or whatever...) had grades Field, grade 1, grade 2, etc.... Look on the water table to see what grade yours is. The water table will be marked with the gauge, serial number and grade. You can check doublegunshop.com in the Other Useful Information section, click on High Grade Shotgun dates of production, then click on Ithaca. You can look up your serial number for the year it was made. I have a Lewis model 12 ga grade 1-1/2.

Jack Kuzepski

Brent Francis
06-30-2011, 07:54 PM
Ive had an old Lewis that I bought 25 years ago. It is a field grade made in 1903 with fluid barrels and except that the wood varnish has darkened a bit and some of the case color has faded a bit you would swear it was a new gun. I shoot it some and its a pretty good trap gun but the old Ithacas mostly have alot of drop at the heal. On the other hand it is very well made and I think they are nicer looking than the later flues and NID models. I should have bought a beauty that just ended today on gun broker a grade 3 with chain damascus barrels that I think went for about 500. Im trying to go cold turkey on gun buying. The engraving on the old crass and lewis ithacas was beautiful arguably as good as any of the high grades of that time.

Frank Cronin
06-30-2011, 08:09 PM
Ive had an old Lewis that I bought 25 years ago. It is a field grade made in 1903 with fluid barrels and except that the wood varnish has darkened a bit and some of the case color has faded a bit you would swear it was a new gun. I shoot it some and its a pretty good trap gun but the old Ithacas mostly have alot of drop at the heal. On the other hand it is very well made and I think they are nicer looking than the later flues and NID models. I should have bought a beauty that just ended today on gun broker a grade 3 with chain damascus barrels that I think went for about 500. Im trying to go cold turkey on gun buying. The engraving on the old crass and lewis ithacas was beautiful arguably as good as any of the high grades of that time.

I can't agree more with you regarding the Ithaca Crass and Lewis graded guns. James Tyson who has had articles in DGJ on Ithaca and probably the nicest collections of Ithacas I have ever seen.

Milton Starr
06-30-2011, 08:14 PM
I will have to wait to have it in hand to see the serial # . It has what I guess you would call brown damascus barrels. I noticed the stock looks different than the 12 ga lewis models I seen.

Francis Morin
06-30-2011, 08:36 PM
I will have to wait to have it in hand to see the serial # . It has what I guess you would call brown damascus barrels. I noticed the stock looks different than the 12 ga lewis models I seen. I may be picking up a pre-Flues boxlock outside hammer Ithaca 10 gauge with Twist barrels- a Grade B I think--mainly for the barrels if within usable wall thickness stds. and parts- the buttstock is messed up- but has original period BP and grip cap--

I have a Flues Grade 1 20 made in 1911- extractor gun- very light, well balanced- has good dims, not the 3 & 1/2" DAH often found on pre-1930 era side-by guns--I recall reading once that if you wanted a light 28 or 20, the Flues was a good choice- just use 2.5" 20 gauge shells, not sure about the 28--The Ithacas didn't have the graceful lines of the pre-1913 Smiths, the Phila Fox guns or the 1895-1925 Parkers (IMO) but they were one heck of a lotta gun for the money- and I'll wager a case of white flyers (135) that more ATA records set with SBT's were with Ithaca "Knicks"--:bigbye:

Brent Francis
06-30-2011, 09:31 PM
the lewis and crass have really beautiful gracefull sculpted form. The later ithacas were marketed for their strength but I think the early turn of the century models were as gracefull as any of the parkers and Smiths

Milton Starr
06-30-2011, 10:44 PM
The 10 ga looks.kinda like that but.with engraving on the bottom of.the receiver.

Brent Francis
07-01-2011, 07:37 AM
Yours is probably a grade higher. The one above is a grade one.

Milton Starr
07-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Grades don't.matter to much to me any fine sxs is a good looking gun in my book.I can't wait to get it. Iwas going to get a zabala 10 ga sxs but I can't stand the beavertail forend and Its cost more than the price.of the gun to have a splinter made for it.

Francis Morin
07-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Grades don't.matter to much to me any fine sxs is a good looking gun in my book.I can't wait to get it. Iwas going to get a zabala 10 ga sxs but I can't stand the beavertail forend and Its cost more than the price.of the gun to have a splinter made for it. I love Spanish festivals, flamenco guitars- but their ten gauge shotguns-if their metallurgy isn't up to specs- and you have bad sears, and a ten gauge doubles on you- you'll feel like you were Mike Tyson's sparring partner on one of his many bad days- I can see why the beavertail forearm on a big heavy ten side-by- you have far greater barrel mass to support-I think you'll be happier with the Ithaca ten- can we see fotos later?? Ole:bigbye::bigbye:

Milton Starr
07-01-2011, 10:43 PM
I have a link its still for sale till he gets my check he should have itTuesday.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/ITHACA-LEWIS-10-BORE.cfm?gun_id=100181748

Francis Morin
07-02-2011, 08:09 AM
I have a link its still for sale till he gets my check he should have itTuesday.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/ITHACA-LEWIS-10-BORE.cfm?gun_id=100181748 shouldn't a dealer on an auction site hold the gun for a reasonable time until you check arrives and then clears his bank? I may be listing the 10 outside hammer Ithaca soon on the PGCA-my sales policy is firm- you call and say you want the gun, I mark it "sold pending arrival of funds" and you get a 100% NQA return for refund policy as well. I learned that from old friend Bill jaqua years ago!! Only way to do business, IMO anyway:bigbye::bigbye::bigbye:

Brent Francis
07-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Thats a nice looking gun. I think the guy is wrong though it looks like a Crass model (two screws on the trigger plate the Lewis has one) That doesnt make any difference though the actions are nearly identical minor difference with the springs. Its really in nice shape and I like the simple engraving

Brent Francis
07-02-2011, 08:53 AM
One other thing, You may never need parts but if you do there always seems to be a Junker or parts available on gun broker. I had a bad screw on mine one time and I was able to buy a whole reciever for 40 including shipping so I have spare parts if I ever need them. try getting a parker reciever for under 200 good luck

Milton Starr
07-02-2011, 11:03 AM
He does a layaway atleast. And I talked to him over the phone. It would have been faster if he took debit. I want a hammer.gun next if I find one.When I get it and check the serial wont that tell me for sure if its a lewis or crass?

Brent Francis
07-02-2011, 11:12 AM
I think you may tell by serial number but the Ithaca serial numbers arent as well established as Parker #s. Unfortunately I havent found an Ithaca Collectors site however there is a gunsmith in Ithaca NY that specializes in repair and restoration of the old ithacas, Diamond Gunsmithing. Ive emailed him questions before about my gun and found him very helpful.

Milton Starr
07-02-2011, 11:22 AM
I've talked to him before I was asking about the mag 10 never bought one though.