PDA

View Full Version : Stock advice please...

Jeremy Clark
09-05-2009, 11:20 PM
What should I do about the stock on my Trojan? My funds are pretty limited so I don't really want to spend hundreds of dollars on a new stock. Would repairing this one be more valuable in the long run than getting it re-stocked? Would this be a good excuse to put a rubber pad on?

BB puts the value of the gun at around $2500. I don't know what this kind of damage does to that figure. Do any of you?

What would you do if it were yours, you were going to keep it and shoot it fairly regularly for quail, grouse and dove?

any advice is always appreciated.

Ed Blake
09-06-2009, 08:24 AM
If cost is your primary concern, buy a leather slip-on pad from any of the big box sporting goods stores. It will give you a bit of LOP and cover up any sins on the butt.

Russ Jackson
09-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Ed; That is a great idea, I have been trying to come up with some good advice for Jeremy but the best I could think of is find a small gunshop or wood working shop in his area and have them do a repair on the chip and watch for a butt plate on E-Bay ,if his is broken as well. I have a friend that does these type of repairs in his small shop for about $50.00 to $100.00 ,usually and he is very good but once you "Ship and Insure " you will be into a couple of hundred bucks !

Jeremy Clark
09-06-2009, 01:00 PM
here's the damage.

John Dallas
09-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Do you have the broken pieces?

Jeremy Clark
09-07-2009, 01:49 PM
the fella i bought it from is looking for them. I told him i would motivate him about $50 if he finds them, so hopefully he will.

I'm a finish carpenter by trade and can repair the stock with that piece should it be found. Would that be your recommendation John?

I know having a replica stock made would be expensive, but would it be worth the investment? that is to say, would it pay for itself in restoring some of the lost value to the trojan?

thanks again for the advice.

Ed Blake
09-07-2009, 02:39 PM
By no means would I go to the expense of putting a new stock on the gun. If you can find the missing piece, great. If you can't, clean up the break and accra-glas a small piece of walnut on, then work down to the shape necessary. Stain to (closely) match the stock, attach buttpad if desired. A good gunstocker could do this at far less than a new stock. AS a finish carpenter you could probably do it better than most. You will never recoup all of your costs via a new stock. Been there, done that.

Jeremy Clark
09-07-2009, 09:55 PM
say i get the pieces and had the stock professionally repaired. There are good colors on the receiver and the barrels are 95% outside, perfect inside...any guesses as to value?

Don Kaas
09-08-2009, 11:53 AM
If you find the piece put it back on and fit a new buttplate. If not, fit a nice period pad if it doesn't make the stock too short for you...then just shoot the gun. $2500 is about top dollar for a 12g Trojan. (The Bluebook is useless on old doubles).You can buy nice original ones at gunshows for much less and they are fairly common. Good Luck with it.

Jeremy Clark
09-08-2009, 03:50 PM
its a 20 gauge

Jeremy Clark
09-15-2009, 10:54 PM
well, it doesn't look like the pieces are going to be found...and it looks like I'm going to need to sell it.

I haven't seen any on Gunbroker lately like this. any guesses as to what it's worth?

it's serial #206116, original finish (85-90% maybe), brown patina has replaced the case colors on the action (still some color under the lever and barrels), 14" lop, 26" barrels, i assume i/c, mod but i haven't measured. do you guys think i should find out for certain before i list it?

Bill Murphy
09-16-2009, 10:21 AM
If you were to post pictures of the gun, we may be able to give you an idea of its value. A high condition 20 gauge would be worth having the wood problem fixed professionally.

John Dallas
09-16-2009, 10:34 AM
26" barrels on a Trojan? How rare would that be, if original?

Destry L. Hoffard
09-16-2009, 11:50 AM
I thought you were going to "shoot it regularly for quail, grouse, and dove"?

DLH

Jim Akins
09-16-2009, 12:26 PM
If you really want to sell it; put it on Gunbroker without any reserve. You will find out what it is worth quickly.

Jim

Destry L. Hoffard
09-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Seems like there have been more "fishing" reports on here lately than there have been hunting reports.

Destry

Destry L. Hoffard
09-16-2009, 04:11 PM
You started out talking about a gun you were going to "shoot regularly" and now a few days later it's for sale. We get this on here all the time, the guys try to be helpful with folks they think are trying to fix up a Parker to actually use when it ends up just being a fishing expedition exactly like we've got here. Don't get uppity with me pal, you're the one that's got a line in the water not me. The boys all know about it now, throw it on GunBroker like you planned to do originally and see what it brings.

DLH

John Dunkle
09-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Frankly - I agree with Destry and the others about the "fishing expedition". Just my view...

And for that - here's what I'm going to do...

I'm going to archive off your posts in this thread beyond post 11 that have the pictures...

Next - I am going to close this thread...

Third - I'll wait for you to PM me after you posted it for sale on a site that allows guns for sale and it's been sold so you can tell us what it's worth.

I'll then reopen this thread, restore your pictures so we can discuss what the market is for a 20GA Trojan.

Thanks!

John D.

(Thread is closed)