PDA

View Full Version : No Other Parker Needed

Harry Collins
09-04-2009, 11:58 PM
Yes, Papa's little 20 gauge Trojan did it's trick again this afternoon. 15 dove with less than a box of shells and I was the second man out of the field even though the field was "seated" when I arrived. I just couldn't miss. It was as if Papa's hands were on the barrels. I know I can't shoot that well. Finished with a nice double that was a quick BANG BANG. The birds were within ten feet of one another. I asked my horrid attorney fiend, Shelby, to come down and take my stand and he finished in short order as well.....

Harry

Jeremy Clark
09-04-2009, 11:59 PM
Congratulations! I can't wait to get out tomorrow!

Destry L. Hoffard
09-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Good work as always Mr. Collins!

First day out for me tomorrow as well, I hear this cold snap has moved a lot of our birds out. We shall see......

DLH

Harry Collins
09-05-2009, 07:40 AM
Thanks, Destry and I hope you slay them. I have no work lined up for today. Guess I'll just have to mow the yard and get my Federal Duck Stamp.

Destry L. Hoffard
09-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Quite a few birds around and lots of the boys had decent shooting, the cold weather hadn't run them off after all. Dad was running the show so wouldn't touch a gun. I'd had some bad news this morning and wasn't very keen, tried a half dozen shots sitting around with him and did kill one. Big shoot is Monday afternoon, maybe I'll be a little more on the ball.

Destry

Francis Morin
09-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Nice fotos Sir- good gun mounting. Is that a circular stock shield on your Trojan? Is yours an early series with the small rib extension, or a later one. A hunting pal inherited a Remington mfg. Trojan, 20 gauge 28" barrels with a single trigger (believe it is a Miller), at last count there were ten guys on the "If you ever want to sell that gun list". Sure wish we had a legal dove season here in MI.:cool:

Harry Collins
09-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Francis,

The pictured gentleman shootng is my "horrid attorney friend" and he is shooting a Merkel 20 gauge SXS. Poor fellow has his grandfathers DHE 12 bore two barreled set and does not shoot it. He has a little Fox 20 bore he does not shoot either. I keep sugesting he give both to me. It just may happen! (in my dreams).

The Trojan is in my "will" for Papa's first grandson who did shoot with his grandfather. My mother sugested I give the Parker to him now, but I told her I had waited 55 years for it and that my nephew could wait 20 years and I am being optomistic of my longivity at that.

Harry

Francis Morin
09-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Francis,

The pictured gentleman shootng is my "horrid attorney friend" and he is shooting a Merkel 20 gauge SXS. Poor fellow has his grandfathers DHE 12 bore two barreled set and does not shoot it. He has a little Fox 20 bore he does not shoot either. I keep sugesting he give both to me. It just may happen! (in my dreams).

The Trojan is in my "will" for Papa's first grandson who did shoot with his grandfather. My mother sugested I give the Parker to him now, but I told her I had waited 55 years for it and that my nephew could wait 20 years and I am being optomistic of my longivity at that.

Harry Thanks for the clarification, your friend looks like he does a fair amount of shooting, good head position on the stock, butt well into the shoulder pocket- a Merkel 20 side-by. I'm not familiar with European guns, so have no basis to compare to the two American doubles he has. Does seem a shame to have a nice DHE 12- with extra fitted barrels and not take it afield on "special occasions", but that, of course, is his choice, just as I am sure he would turn down a quail hunt in Texas (or Timbuktu) with Dick Cheney.

Best of luck with the doves and quail, and you can shoot that Trojan 20 and know you are just "breaking it in" for the lucky nephew- years later!!

Bill Bolyard
09-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Attorneys,

Typically are not a honorable lot who have no idea what a gentleman shoots, Except for Mr Day and Mr Kass who are well bred.

Bill

Harry Collins
09-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Bill,

I understand your coment was light hearted and not ment to impune Shelby. I must add that he is a Southern Gentelman of a blood line that decendes from pre Revolutionary War. I am, however, often dismayed by his choice of shotgun after his forebearers had pointed him in the correct direction.

Kindest, Harry

Bill Bolyard
09-16-2009, 10:35 AM
Bill,

I understand your coment was light hearted and not ment to impune Shelby. I must add that he is a Southern Gentelman of a blood line that decendes from pre Revolutionary War. I am, however, often dismayed by his choice of shotgun after his forebearers had pointed him in the correct direction.

Kindest, Harry

Harry,

My family is also from the south. When I was young and could hunt, I started out with my great Grandfathers L.C. Smith , my brother chose a Remington 1100. My only explanation, is he really is not my brother.:eek: What is the old saying about the one bad apple in every bushel

Respectfully Yours

Bill

Harry Collins
09-19-2009, 11:17 AM
Boys, the birds are still flying here in central Kentucky. I have had no reason to abandon the little 20 gauge Trojan though the birds are flying a little higher and when with the wind a hell of a lot faster. Took my limit yesterday with a few more shells than usual, but well under two boxes. Was screwed into the ground on several occasions and did make a few long high shots with the rear trigger. My horrid attorney friend telephoned about 1600 (that's 4 PM for some of you)and asked how it was and I told him that Ihad been in the field an hour and was about out with 12 dove. He was stuck at the office with a "big" case the firm has $$$$$$ invested in and could not get away. BooHoo.....

Harry