PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hill 10 Ga Hammer Gun

Stephen Hodges
06-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Is anyone here familiar with Jos Hill Hammer guns? I walked into my local dealer today and he showed me the gun in his ad on Gunsinternational. Made in England is all I know. Gun is off face, and the lever is way to the left, but the barrels look to be in very good plus conditon as well as the english stock. Interesting gun. Would make a great turkey, goose/duck gun.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/JOS-HILL-10-Gauge-Double-Barrel-Shotgun.cfm?gun_id=100186184

Jim Akins
06-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Steven ,it looks like many that were made for the trade. the forend dates it earlier than the dealer does. Check the proof marks, if it is marked "not for ball" it was made between 1875 and 1887

Francis Morin
06-17-2011, 04:37 PM
Steven ,it looks like many that were made for the trade. the forend dates it earlier than the dealer does. Check the proof marks, if it is marked "not for ball" it was made between 1875 and 1887- Jim the 16 gauge W. C. Scott & Son Damascus hammer gun I now have for sale (see that sector) is also marked on the barrel undersides Not For Ball- Patent date stamped on watertable is Oct 65-- 1865 the Year Mr. Scott patented his Scott spindle top-lever-to-underbolt linkage system-- but I have no other way to date mfg of my gun- am I safe in assuming the same time frame with the Not For Ball markings as on the gun involved herein? Thank you for any input you can lend--:bigbye:

Theodore LeDurt
06-17-2011, 08:22 PM
Yes if marked "not for ball", your gun would date between 1875-1887. Choke was not available in the 1860's , so there would have been no need to have it stamped "not for ball". The neat thing about the proof houses, (Birmingham and London). it lets you track down a lot of history on your gun.

Jim Akins
06-17-2011, 08:30 PM
If it has British proof marks and is marked not for ball it was proofed between 1875 and 1887. English guns can be dated to a specific period from the proof marks as they changed periodically. Check Gun Digest 1977 for a review of English proof, also The Standard Directory of Proof Marks available from Amazon at a reasonable price

Stephen Hodges
06-17-2011, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the information guys, I will return to the shop this weekend and check out the proof marks.