PDA

View Full Version : restoring old sxs

Milton Starr
06-15-2011, 09:00 PM
I've been looking at sxs from all the famous grandfather era sxs makers. And I was wondering what would be the cost in restoring them cosmetically . I always like real dark dark housing but most older.guns I've seen are either brown or have white barrels. But with worn finish so I don't see the harm of having the barrels blued if rejuvenating the gun. Also I never read about placing shims in the action to make it lock up tighter. So can some one also explain this one. I have a memeber here.email me about a parkers sxs 10 ga he would.sell me. But I've also seen lots of those classics 10 ga on gunsinternational. I kknow id rather get a true nostalgic sxs 10 ga than one of those spanish sxs from the 50-70s .

Dean Romig
06-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Hi Milton,

I would suggest you go to the "Search" button at the top right of this page and type in "refinishing" or "refinish" and see what comes up as forum discussions on the subject. You will probably see several names of people who refinish these guns and can quote you on the extent of refinishing you have in mind.
You can also go to our Home page and click on the "Links" button on the left to see a listing of dealers and gunsmiths.