PDA

View Full Version : Firing pin screws

Jack Kuzepski
06-11-2011, 12:39 PM
What are the thread size of the firing pin retaining screws for an 1888 10 hammer gun?

Thanks,

Jack Kuzepski

Dave Suponski
06-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Jack, The plunger locking screws are 4-42 thread. Hope this help's..

Jack Kuzepski
06-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Dave,

Thanks. I realize that threads and such hadn't been standardized back then but those are different! I removed the plunger locking screws to clean and relubricate and found they had been slightly bent (from dry firing I guess) and was looking to make new ones. The firing pins and springs were kind of rusty and dry. Maybe I can straighten them out instead of making new ones.

Jack

Francis Morin
06-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Dave,

Thanks. I realize that threads and such hadn't been standardized back then but those are different! I removed the plunger locking screws to clean and relubricate and found they had been slightly bent (from dry firing I guess) and was looking to make new ones. The firing pins and springs were kind of rusty and dry. Maybe I can straighten them out instead of making new ones.

Jack I have a cigar box full of older firing pins, hammers, springs, set screws- need to know what your's look like and dims- (OAL- collar, taper etc.) perhaps I may have some that would work for you- I use 50% Kroil and 50% turpentine to soak rusty and cruddy metal gun parts- that and elbow grease and old toothbrushes, 0000 steel wool, etc seem to work out OK_:bigbye:

Jack Kuzepski
06-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Thank you for the offer. I'll try to get the dimensions of the plunger locking screws. The Firing pins and return springs are fine (I think). It looks like the plunger locking screws are bent where they fit into the groove of the firing pin from dry firing which also explains why I had a heck of a time getting them to come out. I used some old stuff that I had called "rust buster" but will try kroil and turpentine.

Jack Kuzepski

Richard Flanders
06-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Kroil is great stuff. Firing pins and the springs can get to be a horrendous mess from blowback and maybe rain and need to be inspected on some time or shot # schedule, I think. I have one hammer gun where the retaining screw must have stripped so someone peened the breech ball into it a bit to hold it so I can't get it out without filing the breech ball who knows how much. Not good. The other pin/spring was a disaster so I'd love to get the other out for cleaning but had to settle for a serious solvent and oil bath. I use the small bronze and sometimes steel brushes a lot to clean parts like that up.

Francis Morin
06-27-2011, 05:03 PM
Kroil is great stuff. Firing pins and the springs can get to be a horrendous mess from blowback and maybe rain and need to be inspected on some time or shot # schedule, I think. I have one hammer gun where the retaining screw must have stripped so someone peened the breech ball into it a bit to hold it so I can't get it out without filing the breech ball who knows how much. Not good. The other pin/spring was a disaster so I'd love to get the other out for cleaning but had to settle for a serious solvent and oil bath. I use the small bronze and sometimes steel brushes a lot to clean parts like that up.-- soak the jammed retaining screw area for at least 24 hrs. in Kroil- center punch and with either a drill press or mill, at slow RPM- try to penetrate that frozen screw, and break it up within the female threaded area of the breech's ball(s)- then extract by hand-filing the balls of the breech area, maybe Nicht Ser Gut, Ja!!:bigbye:

Francis Morin
06-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Jack, The plunger locking screws are 4-42 thread. Hope this help's..- we all are grateful to you and Austin Hogan for the great background on thread and thread pitch standards over the past 200 years- The Industrial Revolution would not have developed in America without those standards--Thanks for all your input and research, great read and loaded with data for all who work on our beloved Parker guns.:bigbye::bigbye::bigbye: