PDA

View Full Version : Need assistance in ID on W&C Scott 16

Francis Morin
06-07-2011, 05:33 PM
I have a W & C Scott & Son 16 gauge outside hammer sidelock double- 28" barrels, DT, extractors, engraved, fine checkering sn is 33623. I will try to post fotos later-

receiver-stock group POW grip and 24 LPI checking, both hammers, sears, triggers and firing pins (as seen protruding from breech face) function- all screws engraved, sn in script on trigger guard tang area-A castle top with a flag on a raised pole and encircled by an oval is on the guard bow, also on the water table- and the following:In a diamond- W&S Patent Oct '65 and 2752- that and a helix or six sided stamp and the serial number in large case are on the left barrel side of the water table, gun has the double lug (a la Purdey?) and the front lug locks in a slot in the water table (as on an LC Smith) right barrel flat has the same castle- oval stamp and W & C Scott & Son Makers- themn two crosses medieval weapons (maces?) and then Patent Action- all screw heads are unbuggered and engraved, as is top level, borders of locks- perfect wood to metal fit with NO cracks visible in lockplate area and tangs of the stock- right barrel lock place engarved with rose and scroll at rear, left barrel lockplate engraved with a swan at rear, arcaded fences and lower flanges with the set screws for the firing pins--

Now the flaws- hammers are orginal, as shown by bottom serpentine and reinforing, left hammer has a replacement non-engraved head machine screw- right has original- right hammer may have been brazed or reploished- not sure yet until I do more cleaning-buttstock is great at grip- but the rest of it- no cast, very good dims needs to be refinished and a chip at toe replaced- also it has a cheapo Bishop black buttplate with phillips head screws- Most definately "Not proper form, Old Boy- pip pip & cheerios, ey wot??) It does have the gold shield unengraved (like on my PH 16 Parker)--

Next- Da barrels- serial numbers match 28" std flat rib, ring, no dents or dings, some black power debris but to real deep pits- the Krauts mark their Laufstahl-- Nicht fur kugel-- Not for Ball- these are also so marked, but in English- Ball as in slug or ball as in ball powders? Lotsa proof marks, even with a 10X magnifier I'm guessing-- X or closed X as in Roman numersla, triangles. OH stamped initials near front lug-lugs, forearm loop intact, ditto ribs and they ring when hung from lug and tapped with wooden dowell- Dolls' head but NOT Parker style-Top Rin marked W & C Scott & Son Makers & Patentees London- std. GS small bead front sight-

Forearm same serial no on iron, screws heads engraved, 24 LPI as on buttstock, no splits, engraved inset latch- lefts from the front and engraved iron "shoe"- in same pattern as on receiver- wood is clean, not oikl soaked, no splits and the forearm latch metal looks like it grew out of the walnut- addendumdum data- gun weighs 6 lbs 14 oz. The LOP from front trigger to the el crapola Bishop black plastic bp is 14 & 14", BUT- the stock was apparently NOT cut off, as you can still see the heel inletting for a bp "spuir" (like our Dog head's Butt Plates on Meriden Parkers with the spur-- just a slight bit of wood missing at the toe- zero cast, good dims for me, no excessive drop at comb or heel- I assembled it and removed the forearm- NO wiggle or rattle if you try to move the barrels when "in battery" so perhaps well "On Face"- and I used masking tape on my 16 snap caps and dry test fired both barrels- dead nutz penetration with the firing pins into the tape and the spring loaded dummy primer pockets of the snap caps--

So- Limey gun gurus on the PGCA- what do I have here? Thanks:bigbye:

Thomas L. Benson Sr.
06-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Francis: Would like to see some pictures. Thanks Thomas

charlie cleveland
06-07-2011, 10:08 PM
francis sounds got your self a fine small bore hammer gun... those wc scott and sons are really well made guns they are on par with most of the other doubles...they are well made sounds like a keeper to me.... charlie

Francis Morin
06-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Francis: Would like to see some pictures. Thanks Thomas- I'm a camera "klutz", so will have some assistance and try to get good details. If I were able to make the "Yooper Shoot" in a few weeks I would bring it with me- Kirby Hoyt was there last year with many tables in a horseshoe pattern inside the Sagola Gun Club house, and he had some very nice hammer guns, both with Damascus and also Nitro barrels. I am more of a 12 bore double gun, so may decide to sell it, and if it works out that you an interest, will be glad to work with you. Anything I offer for sale has a NQA return/refund option- pictures are indeed the key, and I try to be honest and complete in my description of items, but there is "always the unexpected" !!:bigbye::bigbye: