PDA

View Full Version : Jug Choking?

Theodore LeDurt
06-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Does anyone have a good recommendation of a smith who jug chokes? This is probably a dying art, but should be cheaper than reaming, and I've heard that guns with this type of choking patterns well. This for an 8 gauge, if that makes a difference.

Frank Cronin
06-05-2011, 05:10 PM
The person to contact is Mike Orlen. PM me your email address and I can send you his price list for type of work.

79 Salem Street
Amherst, MA 01002
(413) 256-1630

Gary Carmichael Sr
06-05-2011, 07:04 PM
OK Guys I got to know what is jug choking?

Jack Cronkhite
06-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Click Here (http://www.ssaa.org.au/stories/shotguns-a-beginners-guide-to-shotgun-chokes.html) for a reference on choking smooth bore guns. Short dissertation on jug choking excerpted:

Another interesting thing about chokes is that the difference between the restriction at the muzzle and the section immediately behind it is what determines the choke performance and not the overall barrel diameter.

A method of choking called ‘jug choking’ has long been used to improve shotgun performance - by enlarging the bore for a short length just behind the muzzle. The shot column expands into this area and is then constricted again at the muzzle. Thus, a fixed choke shotgun with fairly open chokes could be converted to a tighter choked option by jug choking. This would not interfere with the original muzzle configuration.

Jug choking is becoming increasingly popular on competition shotguns. While one reason given is improved patterning, the main claimed advantage is reduced felt recoil as the shot column does not ‘hit an obstruction’ in the form of a narrower bore on the way out of the barrel.

Cheers,
Jack

Theodore LeDurt
06-06-2011, 02:03 PM
I contacted Mr. Orien, but he did not have the tools necessary to choke an 8 gauge.

Would it be considered "heresy" to have Briley put inserts in a 130 year old shotgun?

Eric Eis
06-06-2011, 04:35 PM
In one word....Yes...:nono:

Mark Ouellette
06-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Theodore,

I have one SxS which is jug choked and patterns very well. Years ago Soviet skeet shooters were winning many international competitions with their jug choked guns.

So, yes jug choking is a great option for classic SxS. If you would have considered Briley for inserts why not ask them to jug choke your gun?

Mark

Theodore LeDurt
06-07-2011, 10:56 PM
Mark, I have to admit, the idea of having Briley do my jug choking never crossed my mind, however they do not jug choke and I got the impression from the tech I talked to, that he was unfamiliar with the term.

They do however back bore 8 gauges.

Mark Ouellette
06-08-2011, 07:52 AM
Theodore,

If you are brave you could jug the barrels yourself with an expandable reamer. A brake hone would also work but with that you'd better know what you are doing! :)

Since most gunsmiths would not have a reamer larger than the .830" 8 gauge bore you might offer to provide the reamer to a qualified gunsmith.

Mark

Jim Beilke
06-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Theodore, I had a 10ga muzzleloading barrel jug choked by a gentleman in Iowa. I am very pleased as I have killed turkeys past 40 yards with this gun. His name is Lowell Tennyson, 209 E. Lotte St. Blue Grass, Iowa 52726 5633813711. Good luck Jim

Tom Jay
03-28-2017, 09:51 PM
Is it possible to jug choke a 12 gauge cylinder bore/cylinder choke Damascus barrel to achieve an IC choke? Currently both barrels are cylinder bore and I'd like to tighten up the left barrel. All comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rick Losey
03-28-2017, 10:11 PM
that would depend on the wall thickness I expect

have you thought about experimenting with reloads and wads -

Tom Jay
03-28-2017, 10:17 PM
Wall thickness is .730, which I understand is within specs for a 12 gauge barrel. Not a reloader and only familiar with spreader shells. Have only used RST low pressure shells in this gun.

Dean Romig
03-28-2017, 10:23 PM
Something's wrong with your measurements or your typing.

You typed .730 as the wall thickness... That's impossible - .750 is 3/4 of an inch...

Rick Losey
03-28-2017, 10:43 PM
is that the bore diameter ?

about right for a 12

charlie cleveland
03-28-2017, 11:31 PM
this is a interesting subject of jug chokeing...i m temted to try this myself on a 8 gauge gun...mine is clyinder bore alsoi wonder how many thosands do i need to hone out and about how far inside of gun barrel do you hone it out...charlie

Tom Jay
03-29-2017, 12:37 AM
.730 bore diameter

John Campbell
03-29-2017, 09:56 AM
Unless the precise barrel wall thickness is known along the muzzle end of the barrels for about the last 10" or so, it is not advised to consider "jug choking."

This process involves the removal of metal from the barrel wall to create an enlarged "chamber " area just short of the muzzle. The shot charge expands into this "jug" and is then constricted again toward the muzzle end of the jug, effectively creating choke. How much choke depends on the diameter differential between the inside of the relieved jug portion and the remaining original barrel tube.

Jug choking is NOT a job for the home hobbyist.

In any case, the jug section THINS the barrel wall. Albeit in a very low pressure area.

Personally, I dislike jug chokes. And I've found them only marginally effective, and that modern shot cup wads and cylinder choke are all I need to hit with confidence at virtually any reasonable distance.

todd allen
03-29-2017, 01:02 PM
I am not a fan of modifying Parker chokes. My vote, leave it alone.

Bruce Day
03-29-2017, 07:37 PM
Ballistic Products sells 12 gauge wad shot cups designed for long range shooting. I've seen data showing a five to ten yard advantage in holding the shot charge tighter . Try it.

James L. Martin
03-29-2017, 08:48 PM
I also vote to leave the choke the way it is, change loads instead, high end trap loads like AA will tighten things up. Jug chokes make the barrel wall to thin unless you have very thick barrels.

Paul Harm
08-07-2017, 10:09 AM
I've jug choked a couple of guns and it does indeed work very well. Old V.M. Starr from the muzzle loading era wrote a small article on how to do it - he had won many turkey shoots with his muzzle loader over modern guns. His method was to remove the metal starting 8 inches back for 6 inches and leaving the last 2 inches alone. This allowed the shot enough time to expand before coming back to bore size. It also allowed loading a muzzle loading shotgun without trying to fit a bore size wad in a smaller hole. In a 10 or 12ga IC is .010 constriction, in a 16ga .007, and a 20ga .006. So we may need a bit more in the 8ga, say .013. You would have to remove .0065 per side, and if one thinks that would make a barrel unsafe then don't do it. Maybe if your barrels are that thin to start with you shouldn't be shooting it in the first place - but that's JMHO. If you want to do it yourself you'll first need a inside mike to measure inside barrel diameter and a adjustable reamer that adjusts from the end by turning in a screw, not one by turning two nuts. Then you'll have to attach a long " T" handle to the reamer to reach in from the breech. You'll also have to make up a tool to reach in from the muzzle to adjust the reamer. The reamer is put in place, then it's tightened against the bore, turned a couple of times, loosened, removed and cleaned, and do the process all over again. It can only be tightened a thou or two each time so it becomes fairly time consuming. And you have to go in and check with the mic every other time or so. Unless you're shooting a British gun or one that's been honed many times, most good old American made SxS's have more than enough wall to remove 7 or .008 from a side. Most smiths aren't going to invest $120 for a reamer to do one or two guns. Does it work - yes. Is it safe - yes. Will you have to do it yourself - probably. Good luck.