PDA

View Full Version : hulls

calvin humburg
06-05-2011, 06:41 AM
BP has 2.5 12 guage hulls on sale for 10 dollars.

charlie cleveland
06-05-2011, 02:39 PM
thanks for info.... charlie

Paul Harm
06-06-2011, 11:33 AM
With a dowel rod and razor blade you can make any size hull you want. But then I'm thinking of my ability to get empty hulls - I shoot 3 times a week and plenty of them are left laying on the ground from other shooters. Paul

charlie cleveland
06-07-2011, 10:18 PM
can you show us a picture of that dowel rod and razer blade..... charlie

calvin humburg
06-07-2011, 11:40 PM
theres a picture on one of the posts somebody showed probably under shotshell realoading i may of started it??? i'll see if i can find it

Jack Kuzepski
06-09-2011, 02:27 PM
I made a jig for my band saw and it works very quickly and neatly, it does one shell at a time. Later I saw a jig some guy made for his table saw where he does 10 shells at a time,that was really slick and high volume!

Jack Kuzepski

Keith Parrish
06-09-2011, 09:01 PM
i'm looking for the dowel razor thread and no luck anybody else find it I would love to see how it's done.

calvin humburg
06-09-2011, 10:52 PM
I can't find it either

Carl Brandt
06-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Try this link: http://www.parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1367

I made one of these and it works slicker than cow slobber.

charlie cleveland
06-10-2011, 07:43 PM
what holds the exacto blade in place.... is this the way it works...put hull onto dowell then put screw into primer hole..thendo you drive exacto blade into dowell or what...you could not slide hull onto the dowell if it already in place... confused am i ..... charlie

Robin Lewis
06-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Charlie,
It works like a pencil sharpener, the blade sticks in the dowel and you push the shell onto the end of the dowel. As you turn the shell, the blade will cut into the shell at an angle until the dowel bottoms in the shell and then the last turn will cut the shell around at that depth, giving you the shell at that preset length.

I believe the screw on the end is a fine adjustment. If the shell is to short after it is trimed, turn the screw out a bit to fine tune the length and then next shell should be correct length. When you drive the blade into the dowel it should be at a 15 degree angle so you can twist the shell and the blade will bite into the shell and spiral down to the desired spot.

I found this in another post... the picture helps.

Hull trimmer you can make, recommend over the one for sale, 10" of 3/4 wood dowel a exacto blade and a wood screw. Attached Thumbnails http://parkerguns.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7547&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1298897021 (http://parkerguns.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7547&d=1298897021)

calvin humburg
06-11-2011, 06:56 AM
9145 Got my angle a little to great but it don't work to bad. Go kind of slow at the end and you won't get a bump. best ch

charlie cleveland
06-11-2011, 08:47 PM
thanks fellas ive got it down pat now..i can and will make me one of these shell trimmers....next step order me some new hulls my old short tens are about wore out from reloading them....ive cut down a few with a sharp knife but they usally came up looking a little rough.... charlie

Keith Parrish
06-12-2011, 03:06 AM
Charlie,

I made my first one today outs some piece of wood limb and a screw drilled in the butt end. I made it to trim hulls down to 2"ers all the way up to 2 3/4"ers. TOOK A drill and drilled a hole where I wanted the blade to go in and I tell you it sure holds in there tight!! that blade ain't going anywhere.

Did get my coyote today!! couldn't believe how close up to the house the 2 of them came... 1 saw me soon as I cracked the back door open and the other didn't even glance at me. Took aim and nailed the 2nd one in the good spot. he looked like he wanted to jump but the steel kept his feet on the ground. he did manage to kind of scamper another 30 yard or so and he layed down. I did try after one last week and he stayed outa range 2times..... BOYS I GOT HIM EXACTLY 1 WEEK AFTER HE ELUDED ME!!!

charlie cleveland
06-12-2011, 10:06 AM
KEITH ive not made my trimmer yet but will in the next few days...glad you got that coyote what did you dispatch him with shotgun or rifle...what was the load and gun used... ive trapped and shot a few old coyotes in my past too.... charlie

calvin humburg
06-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Yeah, Charlie got one out Kansas way with a phez load "lights out" ch

Fred Preston
06-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Got one here with the .17 HMR at about 80 yards; went down instantly.

calvin humburg
06-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Good shot Fred thats the necked down 22 magnum correct? ch Hope ol Sam lookin at ya takes after Ringo Hes got a patch around his tail as well. If nothing else hes a good lookin hound and a heck of a buddy if he hunts just a bonus.9170

Keith Parrish
06-12-2011, 02:11 PM
KEITH ive not made my trimmer yet but will in the next few days...glad you got that coyote what did you dispatch him with shotgun or rifle...what was the load and gun used... ive trapped and shot a few old coyotes in my past too.... charlie

22 wmr.

We also trap over here, got an elk population and recently saw a young one killed by these pesky coyotes. If they just ate the ground squriels and rats I'd have let them walk but when they threaten our herds future bulls I gota go after them when ever I can. I've considered taking the shotgun after one but I need a lil extra range, is why I used my rifle (sure shot!).

I will be using my short loads for the crow this week never shot shorter than 2 3/4" so it will be a treat...

Calvin,

At what was the distance you got yours with??? I am curious

calvin humburg
06-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Keith I changed my post above it wasen't clear at first. Charlie got the yote i was trying to drive him some phesent and pushed the dog and it ran by him.

Keith Parrish
06-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Had to read it again I get it. Yes they are a sly creature never know If I'm going to run into one early in the morning out by the barn or the gate just gota stay aware and PREPARED. GOood going Charlie!! Quick thinking.

That is a good looking pup there atleast he looks excited and that is the start.

Yea the 17 is down sized of the 22 wmr. I found them very easly affected by the wind them being grains lighter than the 22 but they will do the trick.

Keith Parrish
06-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Trying to post a pic and can't figure it out.

calvin humburg
06-12-2011, 06:44 PM
you got to make your pictures width 1024 height 768 width paint shop pro or something like it then they'll go right in.

Fred Preston
06-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Calvin, the 17 is as you thought and Keith described; it's the tightest grouping round I have used (0.5 moa). Sam sure looks and is marked like Ringo, a lot more so than the new kid, Pete. When I got Ring as a pup some 15 years ago, the wife of the guy who sold him to me had named him Spot because of the mark at his tail. If I had known that at the time, I would have called him Spot myself. Couple of pics: first, Pete; second, old cripped up Ring and Pete heading out together.

Keith Parrish
06-12-2011, 07:35 PM
those are both great looking dogs they seem to surely enjoy the life... it's great seeing a pair work together... like a nice double!!

not that I was knocking on the 17 it's just that we here on the coast have soo much wind they seem to tail away from the spot you are aiming at. we need weight. I also have found that the lighter the shot and or smaller the more it tends to vier off it's target.

King Brown
06-17-2011, 11:04 PM
The only thing works on our coast for me is 25-06. The 17s are a waste of time, not to be taken seriously.