PDA

View Full Version : New Member First Parker

Jim Cook
06-02-2011, 07:31 AM
Hello all. I am a new member and a new owner of my first Parker.

My Parker is a 10 ga. lifter serial # 18331 D 6, 30 inch barrels in fair shape after 130 years. I have tried to post photos but not sure if photos will actually work.

I just bought the Parker and am wondering about cleaning the shotgun and replacing the broken right hammer.

My thought was that I would use it for SASS cowboy shooting but now think that is a bad idea.

I have truly enjoyed this gun so far and want to do what is right for it’s collector value.

I live near Portland, OR

Jim Cook

DSC_0003

DSC_0006

DSC_0011

DSC_0012

DSC_0014

DSC_0015

DSC_0017

DSC_0019

DSC_0021

DSC_0022

DSC_0023

DSC_0024

DSC_0025

DSC_0026

DSC_0028

DSC_0029

Jim Cook
06-02-2011, 07:33 AM
Looks like I have not posted photos?

John Dallas
06-02-2011, 07:53 AM
Look in the "FAQ" section at the top of the page, and search for "Post Pictures". Instructions are clear enough that even I was able to do it.

Jim Cook
06-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Retrying photos:

http://parkerguns.org/forums/album.php?albumid=252

http://parkerguns.org/forums/album.php?albumid=251

Jim Cook
06-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Now that my photos are up I have some questions:

Any idea as to the retail value of the shotgun-I am not trying to sell and only ask to see if I paid too much.

Does it look as if the barrels (30 inches) have been cut.

How much cleaning should I do?

Do you know if it is in the book? I’m not sure even what the book is?

Should I replace the broken firing pin and if so where can I buy one?

Where can I get “The Letter”.

Any ideas as to where to find Brass 10 ga. shells or cases?

How do I tell if it has chokes?

It’s strange how much I like this old double.

Thanks in advance,

Jim.

George Lander
06-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Jim: Pleeeease do not make a "cowboy shooter" out of that fine old D Grade Parker. SN 18331 is in "THE BOOK" as a D3 (or Grade 3) underlifter hammergun, no extras, 10 gauge, pistolgrip stock, with 32 inch Damascus barrels made in 1880. You can order a letter by going to the PGCA home page & click on research letters & fill out the request form with your check. Mr. Mark Conrad in due course will mail you a letter (if the documents are available0 that will tell you the original specifications for your gun & who it was originally shipped to as well as info if it were ever sent back to Parker. A close inspection of the top rib on the muzzle end should tell if the barrels were cut from 32" or if THE BOOK is wrong (as sometimes happens, the PGCA letter should tell for sure) Don't do any heavy cleaning, only light oil & a rag. A good gunsmith can make you a new firing pin. Some of the members here probably have some brass cases that they would sell or you can order low pressure 10 gauge loads from RST. You measure tyhe chokes with a choke gauge (your gunsmith can help you with that) WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE. A good insurance estimate would be $3,000 - $4,000 IMHO.

Congratulations and Best Regards, George

BTW: "THE BOOK" is the "Parker Gun Identification & Serialization" book which you can order from Blue Book Publications, Inc. Go to www.bluebookinc.com or phone (952) 854-5229 E-Mail bluebook@bluebookinc.com

Bill Murphy
06-02-2011, 08:04 PM
There has been some discussion of early firing pin replacement on this forum. I don't know who is making them right now. They are not something a corner gunsmith can make. A good gunsmith may tell you that your pin is not broken but something else is the problem. Good luck.

Robin Lewis
06-02-2011, 08:44 PM
There has been some discussion of early firing pin replacement on this forum. I don't know who is making them right now. They are not something a corner gunsmith can make. A good gunsmith may tell you that your pin is not broken but something else is the problem. Good luck.
Here is an ad from Parker Pages, last issue. Firing Pins, Dave Purnell 410-376-2145 $35.00
Offset Firing Pins for early Parkers

David Yeatts
06-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Jim
Dave Purnell can make the pins. You can contact him through the members list. I just got a set from him and have had the gun (1881 D2) out twice for clays and for 2 stages in a cowboy match. Cowboy was done with black powder, that being said mine seldom goes to the matches and then only on selected stages. Get the letter, join the PGCA, and enjoy shooting a bit of history.
Ten's Rule
Dave

Dean Romig
06-02-2011, 09:36 PM
From the picture you posted of the muzzles it appears that there is no evidence of steel "keels" in place under the ribs. This normally indicates cut barrels. If the barrels had been cut back from 32" to their present 30" by Parker Bros the keels would normally have been set back in place. I have not seen a set of barrels known to have been shortened by Parker Bros that did not have the keels in place.

Jim Cook
06-06-2011, 06:22 AM
Thank you all for the information-this site is a truly great resource.

I have no intension of using the old gun in cowboy shooting after finding out about the shotgun and will not modify it.

I’ll get the letter and post the results.

Jim.

Angel Cruz
06-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Yo Dean
Do you happen to have a picture of the "keel"? I have no idea what you are referring to. thanks..

Dave Suponski
06-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Angel, Go to the FAQ on the home page. Number 6 should be of help to ya!

Angel Cruz
06-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Good man Dave!! Thanks partner..

Ron Mueller
07-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Hey Jim,
Good to see you and Dave Yeatts acknowledge cowboy shooters. I get Great style points when I use my 10 gauge Parker at the monthlies. I would say for the grade of yours, I would only use it for trap shooting.

Thus far, I figure, born for black, use black. Convenient, cause I shoot Frontier Cartridge anyway. When the buzzer goes off, no matter how fast I'm goin', I place the Parker at restage, then scamper on from there.

I used the Club services to obtain Letters on both of my Parkers. Outstanding history in our hands!!

Ron Mueller
aka Dutch Dalton, SASS Lifer

Please indulge my first post.