PDA

View Full Version : New aquisition

Dale Meyer
08-31-2009, 08:55 PM
Gentlemen, I just aquired a GH 16 O-frame with damascus barrells. It was just too good a deal to pass up. It has some issues but appears to be basically quite sound and, except for a chip out of the toe, very nice in appearance. I know there was a lot of past discussion as to what shells and chamber pressures may be suitable in these 1901 production barrells. This is my first damascus and I didn't pay much attention in previous posts on the subject. What pressures may be acceptable assuming the barrells are as sound as they appear? Where can I buy low pressure shells at a reasonable price ?

I bought the gun at Cabelas in Hamburg, Pa. today for $650. It couldn't have been there long or one of you would have found it.

Thanks for your help!

Dave Suponski
08-31-2009, 09:03 PM
Dale,Congrats on your new Parker! Our friends at RST have a nice selection of light loads for your new gun. Check them out at this site's Links page.

James T. Kucaba
08-31-2009, 09:07 PM
Gentlemen, I just aquired a GH 16 O-frame with damascus barrels. It was just too good a deal to pass up. It has some issues but appears to be basically quite sound and, except for a chip out of the toe, very nice in appearance. I know there was a lot of past discussion as to what shells and chamber pressures may be suitable in these 1901 production barrels. This is my first damascus and I didn't pay much attention in previous posts on the subject. What pressures may be acceptable assuming the barrels are as sound as they appear? Where can I buy low pressure shells at a reasonable price ?

I bought the gun at Cabelas in Hamburg, Pa. today for $650. It couldn't have been there long or one of you would have found it.

Thanks for your help!

Dale --- New low pressure shells, NOT reloads can be had from RST or Polywad ... RST has low pressure shells with the old fashioned paper hulls and Polywad has the "spreader," wide pattern shells ... Just do a Google search for the web addresses and phone numbers etc.

Jim Kucaba ... AriZOOna ... Email: JimKucaba@aol.com

Bill Murphy
09-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Interesting gun at an interesting price. Can we hear more details? Can we see a picture?

tom tutwiler
09-01-2009, 07:20 PM
It wasn't, or it would have gone home with me for sure.

Dale Meyer
09-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Bill Murphy, we've been away. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow.

Chuck Bishop
09-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Dale,

Have we ever met? I invite you to shoot with me at Blue Ridge Sportsmans Assn outside of Harrisburg sometime in the near future.

RST shells are manufactured near Scranton and an excellent vintage gunsmith, Dewey Vicknair, lives in Lititz.

You aren't that far from the eastern shore of Md, try and make it to the Vintagers World SxS shoot at Pintail Point Sept 25th through 27th. The Parker Gun Collectors Assn will be there in force plus many other SxS experts. You'll get expert opinions on your gun.

Guess I really need to check Hamburg more often!

Dale Meyer
09-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Here are the pics you requested. It appears to be in fairly good shape. It has a chip out of the toe which I will have repaired. The stock is otherwise very good. Some damascus pattern visible on the barrel. The top lever is angled to the right.

Dale Meyer
09-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Chuck, I don't believe we have met. We live in Perry County north of Duncannon near the Juniata. I thank you for the invite to Blue Ridge. I don't do much target shooting, I do most of my bird hunting at Martz's. If you're not a member there, I would be happy to invite you there.

I bought a flat of short 16s from RST and am looking forward to trying them.

Does the gunsmith in Lititz do chemical case colors? I have a couple of candidates.

Thanks for the response.

Chuck Bishop
09-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Dale, your gun certainly looks like a bargain for $650. Your main area of concern is to make sure the barrels are in good condition to withstand the pressure of the shells you intend to shoot. Even shooting low pressure loads in poor barrels can be dangerous. I suggest you have Dewey inspect your barrels before shooting your gun.

I know Dewey does bone and charcoal case coloring but I'm not sure of cyanide coloring. His web site is: http://www.vicknairrestorations.com/.

Dewey can also fix your stock if desired. We also have an excellent local stocker, his name is Craig Libhart. Craig lives in Bainbridge just south of 3 Mile Island, his web site is: http://www.susquehannastockworks.com/.

My friends and I have talked about going to Martz's sometime so send me a PM with your e-mail address and we'll get together sometime.

Congratulations on your find!