PDA

View Full Version : Southern Side by Side and SB shoot?

Mike Franzen
05-13-2011, 01:28 AM
Maybe we could get the boys at the Southern to include SBT's in a shoot. Maybe have a Parker vs LC Smith SBT competition. Anythig that gives me another excuse for having to take a shooting trip and I'm in...:)

FRANK HALSEY
05-13-2011, 11:14 PM
I WOULD BE IN, IN A HEART BEAT. I SHOOT MY SBT ALL THE TIME. NICE IDEA. FRANK

Mike Franzen
05-14-2011, 12:35 AM
There are some really nice SBT's from several makers. Wouldn't it be nice to see a bunch of Parkers, LC's, Ithica's etc, doing battle again. I'll bet a shoot like that would bring out some old guns that haven't seen the light of day in decades. I'll bet with the right people behind it we could have one! Talk about nostalgia...

Bill Murphy
05-15-2011, 09:55 AM
I don't know whether Ernie has a single trap event on the program at the Northeast Shoot, but he has in the past.

charlie cleveland
05-15-2011, 10:16 AM
hope you fellas get a shoot set up...would be interesting to see... i like those single barrels my self dont have a parker single yet...but someday.. charlie

Jim Thynne
08-15-2011, 02:13 PM
In October the So. California SxS has always had a Parker vs. Smith Single Barrel Challenge.
This will take place at Prado gun club near Los Angeles, and the winner will be placed on the trophy on display at Ivory Beads, in Covina California.
The first three years L.C. Smith was the winner, and last year Parker won the honors.
Shooters may enter by calling Jim Thynne toll free at 888-328-0700.

The last shoot displayed nearly 100 vintage Single Trap Guns from the United Sates, England, and Europe.
If you are traveling to the area,or wish to join the festivities please join us.

David Dwyer
08-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Gentlemen
Tom Carter has arranged with Rick Hemmingway for a SBT shoot at the Fall Southern. I think Tom has a post on here somewhere.
David

Bill Murphy
08-15-2011, 03:14 PM
I missed Rick's shoot last year. I hope to attend this year. Rick is one great guy, sets the targets at the Parker versus L.C.Smith shoot at the North Carolina Southern Side by Side, just works his butt off. He is interested in great targets, hosts the South Carolina State NSCA Shoot at his facility.

Robin Lewis
08-15-2011, 03:50 PM
In October the So. California SxS has always had a Parker vs. Smith Single Barrel Challenge.
This will take place at Prado gun club near Los Angeles, and the winner will be placed on the trophy on display at Ivory Beads, in Covina California.
The first three years L.C. Smith was the winner, and last year Parker won the honors.
Shooters may enter by calling Jim Thynne toll free at 888-328-0700.

The last shoot displayed nearly 100 vintage Single Trap Guns from the United Sates, England, and Europe.
If you are traveling to the area,or wish to join the festivities please join us.

This is the first time I have heard of this shoot, has it ever been written up in Parker pages? I would like to learn more about this even though I am on the other coast. It would be nice to see left coast events in Parker Pages, with some pictures of what is going on out there!

Gary Carmichael Sr
09-02-2011, 08:50 PM
David when is the fall Southern Side by side?

Jim Thynne
09-02-2011, 09:57 PM
We are shootin these old two rows and breking a lot of clay. The single barrel shoot is our next event, and I hope I can run them again with a C Single..........Jim Thynne

Tom Carter
09-02-2011, 10:01 PM
As David said Rick has agreed to a single barrel trap shoot in October. The advertising had been completed when this developed so we can only discuss it here and use word of mouth. I think he will use the same method as the 5 stand shoot. The manufactures team will be chosen based on high scores and the highest scoring team will win the event. Cheers, Tom

David Dwyer
09-03-2011, 05:55 AM
October 21st-23rd. A really fun event, predominantly shooting.
David

bill grill
05-14-2012, 07:34 PM
Wht just Parker vs LC Smith? What happened to the Ithaca's and Foxes? Just wondering? Also what's the dates for the fall shoot? Bill

Tom Carter
05-14-2012, 07:45 PM
I believe it's October 19-20-21. Hope you can make it. Tom

Eric Eis
05-14-2012, 11:00 PM
Wht just Parker vs LC Smith? What happened to the Ithaca's and Foxes? Just wondering? Also what's the dates for the fall shoot? Bill

Middle of Grouse Season.... Sorry about that, you may find me and Rich up your way during the fall Southern shoot, maybe we can get together for a day or two.

Tom Carter
05-15-2012, 08:25 AM
The Backwoods schedule says the last weekend in October, 26-27-28. Sorry for the error. Cheers, Tom

Gary Carmichael Sr
05-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Tom give me directions to get there I want to check the RV sites out in the next couple weeks, thanks Gary

Tom Carter
05-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Hi Gary,

The RV sites have not been built yet. The area is a cleared field right now. I can send you directions now or when they are completed. Will you be coming down I-95? Thanks, Tom

Gary Carmichael Sr
05-18-2012, 07:14 PM
Tom I will probably come from Southport, do I go down 17 toS.C then where to? and how far is it from Southport I am here this weekend to visit a friend who has only a couple days left. wanted to see him before he passed will go back to V.A. Sunday, thanks Gary

Tom Carter
05-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Hi Gary, Yes Sir. 17 to Georgetown. Call me and David and I will try to meet you. I'll send my phone number by PM. Are you in your motorhome or car? Thanks, Tom

Gary Carmichael Sr
05-19-2012, 08:18 AM
Tom, I am in my car, I should be done around lunch then I could leave to meet you, do I go all the way to Georgetown, or is the venue west of there ? How long will it take to get there? from here it is about 1hr to Murrels inlet that's south of MB Gary

Steve McCarty
07-17-2012, 01:07 AM
There are some really nice SBT's from several makers. Wouldn't it be nice to see a bunch of Parkers, LC's, Ithica's etc, doing battle again. I'll bet a shoot like that would bring out some old guns that haven't seen the light of day in decades. I'll bet with the right people behind it we could have one! Talk about nostalgia...

There is a well known and long established Parker/LC Smith competition. I wonder if it includes SBTs?

I'm shooting my SC SBT weekly at my local Trap club. I own several Parkers, but shooting my SBT the way it was made to be shot is a joy. It is an early gun with the firing pin access on the right side of the receiver.

Parkers are neat to collect, but we should not forget that they shoot as well as they ever did.

Tom Carter
07-17-2012, 01:29 PM
Steve, There is a trap event at the annual meeting in October. Cheers, Tom

Dave Suponski
07-17-2012, 02:24 PM
A trap event? Theres a couple more guns I gotta bring.....:rolleyes: You guy's better look out for "Da Kid' he'll gunnin for ya at the traps....:)

Larry Mason
08-14-2012, 09:57 PM
I have a SBT. But am wondering what guns folks use for these shoots. I have just joined a gun club to learn to shoot trap and skeet. My Beretta 687 ultrlight is too light but the guys at the club know I want to shoot my doubles. They are frowning on it. The SB is the only raised rib Parker I own. Do any of you have your guns fit, put tubes in them for other gauges, etc. I am a beginner in this and am going to the VSSA shoot at Arrowhead
in Victoria VA this weekend and watch. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would love to shoot the Southern one of these years.
Thanks,
Larry Mason

David Dwyer
08-15-2012, 07:45 AM
Larry
Welcome! The Southern SXS shoots, Sanford NC in April and Georgetown SC in October are for side by side guns only. This year at the fall shot they will allow SBT only at the trap Parker -Smith shoot off. I shoot sporting clay as often as I can and only shoot my Parker Bros double barrel guns. The "pros"
only shoot single barrel guns as there focus is simply on the score. I shoot my Parkers and enjoy the journey not just the destination. Good Luck and would love to see you at one of the events
David

Steve McCarty
08-15-2012, 12:04 PM
I have a SBT. But am wondering what guns folks use for these shoots. I have just joined a gun club to learn to shoot trap and skeet. My Beretta 687 ultrlight is too light but the guys at the club know I want to shoot my doubles. They are frowning on it. The SB is the only raised rib Parker I own. Do any of you have your guns fit, put tubes in them for other gauges, etc.

I too have visited trap clubs wherein the members turn their noses up at all guns that are not afixed with do-dads. The members of the club I am a member of don't care what gun anyone shoots for anything. Nice guys. I shoot a Parker SBT and the guys admire the gun. One of the best shots in the club shot an unaltered Browning Auto 5, he died and a new member bought his gun and it is treated as a fine relic.

My gun is as stock as it can be and I am shooting some pretty good scores, so I'll never do anything to it. Your Parker SBT was made when trap shooting was all the rage and guys were pretty savy about what a trap gun should be. The only thing I might consider adjusting would be the LOP if the gun doesn't fit...fit is important.

Take your time and learn to shoot your gun well. It will take a few rounds to figure out where it shoots. Watch some videos that show you where to point your gun when you call for the bird. Your Parker will have a perfect trigger and the lack of a safety is great too! Eventually the members of your club will eye your Parker with envy.

My advice, for what it's worth, is don't do anything to your Parker (except maybe LOP) and shoot it with confidence. IMO there is no better trapgun made.

Steve McCarty
08-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Larry
Welcome! The Southern SXS shoots, Sanford NC in April and Georgetown SC in October are for side by side guns only. This year at the fall shot they will allow SBT only at the trap Parker -Smith shoot off. I shoot sporting clay as often as I can and only shoot my Parker Bros double barrel guns. The "pros"
only shoot single barrel guns as there focus is simply on the score. I shoot my Parkers and enjoy the journey not just the destination. Good Luck and would love to see you at one of the events
David

I wish I could attend the shoot!:crying: I live in Oregon which is about as far from NC as London. However, wife and I are planning to drive out next season. I don't want to even try to carry my Parker on the plane. I lost a gun once trying to do that. It took them several days to recover it. I was fit to be tied.

Bill Murphy
08-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Larry, guns with sub gauge tubes are no longer allowed at most vintage gun and side by side shoots. Gun competitions are classed as the gauge of the gun without tubes. Come on down to Georgetown in October and enjoy the action.

David Dwyer
08-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Bill
Good point. A gun must be shot in the gage class of the actual barrel. No gage mates, briley tubes etc that allows a barrel to shoot a smaller gage shell is allowed in any of the Southern SXS competitions.
David

Larry Mason
08-16-2012, 12:25 AM
Thank you, Dave, Steve and Bill. I will book my room this weekend. I did not make the banquet last year and have my heart set on attending.

Larry