PDA

View Full Version : 8 Gauge Parker

Richard Kellogg
05-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Hi all . I am new to this fourm . Looks like I should be able to find the information that I am looking for here .
My GF father just showed me his 8 gauge Parker Brothers side by side , with hammers , in pretty ruff shape , pictures to come . This thing is huge ! 32" barrels . It also has a metal slide on the barrels that kind of locks it together . It slide down over the barrels and over the reciever , like it is a extra safty device to keep the action closed . I will post some pictures when I get them up loaded . Looking for some kind of value and any information on this , just so he knows what he has . Thank you for the help .

Eric Eis
05-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Richard, not sure what you mean about a metal slide on the barrels. We really need to see some pictures before anyone can give you an idea of value.

Harry Collins
05-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Richard,

Welcome aboard. I too am looking forward to seeing pictures.

Harry

Richard Kellogg
05-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Here she is .

Bill Murphy
05-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Well, how about that! Richard, that is quite a relic. Where exactly was that gun when in use? A lot of history there. I guess the gun quit working to the point where the locking lug became inoperative and someone fabricated the sleeve to keep the gun closed when shooting. You will get plenty of information about its value from members here. Maybe you could find a serial number stamped on the flat of the action or the side of the barrel lug and let us know what it is.

Richard Kellogg
05-04-2011, 05:40 PM
The sleeve isn't factory ? I thought i remember seening a sxs once bebore with the same kind of sleeve set up .
This has been in the barn for about 50-60 years . It was my GF great , great grand fathers . Her dad has already told me a couple storys about it . Just to hear him talk about it is great . His eyes light up to the " good ole days " .

charlie cleveland
05-04-2011, 06:13 PM
youve got allof us interested in talking about that big gun...hope you will tell us more about the gun...the guys here can figure out what youve got with a little info...send off for a letter on gun youll be suprized what you might find out about the gun.... some of us here really like the big bores.... charlie

Bill Murphy
05-04-2011, 07:20 PM
And where did the gun live when it was being used on a regular basis?

Richard Kellogg
05-05-2011, 05:40 AM
charlie cleveland , What information would you like . Can't find a ser.# yet . It is in need a 8 gauge .

Bill Murphy , I'm not sure what you mean , but we are from western New York .

I'm sure it isnt worth much in the shape its in . But would like to know if its worth anything , just so he knows . Is there any way to find parts to make it nice again .

charlie cleveland
05-05-2011, 08:54 AM
from what you have you can make the old gun look good again...a little oil and elbow grease will change the looks of it...possible to make a shooter again...im like the others serial no should be on the barrel on the left side on the barrel lug...plus some of the stories you been told about the gun.. charlie

Destry L. Hoffard
05-05-2011, 11:29 AM
That old piece has seen some service, if it could talk.....

Destry

Richard Kellogg
05-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Well , he wants to sell it now , if its worth anything . I tried to talk him out of selling it , but he needs the money i guess . So any idea what he could get for it .

Eric Eis
05-05-2011, 02:29 PM
To be honest, not much. You would be better to keep it in the family.

Richard Kellogg
05-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Thats what I said . I might buy it and give it back to my GF , his daughter . What would be a fair price ? Or would he could a lot more if he parts it out .

Harry Collins
05-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Richard,

Despite the fact that it is an 8 gauge Parker, I doubt it would fetch $200.00. With Parkers it is condition and this poor girl has none. If others here disagree with me it is because they know more about it. If the barrels can be saved you are looking at about $500.00, the stock another $1,000.00 to $2,000.00, the frame and locks would be "who knows". After it is all said and done you would have a beautiful "restored" Parker that is illegal to hunt anything with in most states. If it were mine I would repair the locking of the barrels to the receiver and ponder my options from there.

Kindest, Harry

Carl Brandt
05-05-2011, 05:56 PM
You can find the serial numbers where I have inserted arrows. Flip the forend over (yellow arrow) and it should be between the screw holes. On the water table (red arrow) and on the barrel lug (green arrow).

Eric Eis
05-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Despite the fact that it is an 8 gauge Parker, I doubt it would fetch $200.00. With Parkers it is condition and this poor girl has none.

Harry's right, for the little amount of money, keep it in the family, it is really a cool gun with a lot of history.

charlie cleveland
05-06-2011, 09:57 AM
i d keep this in my my family if possible...to late if you sell it...and believe me there are plenty of people out here that would buy it even though its not really worth to much...the guys have given you aprice of what its worth in my opinon also... hope you keep it in the family..... charlie

Bill Murphy
05-09-2011, 10:25 AM
OK, no serial numbers, but it's being offered on GB and has a $200 bid from ed1. In a few months, we'll be looking at a shiny new gun with fresh case colors.

Eric Eis
05-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Tell me it's not True......

Angel Cruz
05-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Is it me or are those real short bbls compared to the length of the frame and stock.

Russ Jackson
05-09-2011, 11:44 AM
Tell me it's not True......

ITs True !:eek:

Eric Eis
05-09-2011, 11:59 AM
That's a shame.....!

Richard Flanders
05-09-2011, 12:58 PM
I don't see anything about that gun that's a shame. It looks like walkin' talkin' history to me! If I owned that beauty, I wouldn't change a thing! I'd clean the bores good and stabilize any current corrosion and hangerup on the wall. As Destry says, if only that gun could talk. I have to think it belonged to a rural 'market hunter' or someone just trying to feed a big family and who used it on everything that walked, crawled or flew - fur, feathers... whatever, as long as it was edible.

Eric Eis
05-09-2011, 03:54 PM
I don't see anything about that gun that's a shame. It looks like walkin' talkin' history to me! If I owned that beauty, I wouldn't change a thing! I'd clean the bores good and stabilize any current corrosion and hangerup on the wall. As Destry says, if only that gun could talk. I have to think it belonged to a rural 'market hunter' or someone just trying to feed a big family and who used it on everything that walked, crawled or flew - fur, feathers... whatever, as long as it was edible.

Richard I meant selling part of a family history (grandfather's gun) that is the "Shame" Like you said the gun has a lot of history.

Harry Collins
05-14-2011, 02:48 PM
I was wrong on my $200.00 estimate. This old Parker received a bid of $600.00 on Gun Broker. It did not meet reserve. Damn optimistic if you ask me.

Harry

Richard Flanders
05-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Roger that Harry. I've been watching it. I figured if it would go for a lower price I'd maybe bid on it but it quickly went above my comfort zone. Seems $600 is more than adequate for such a piece. As everyone says... never say never... I have to say that it is the coolest wallhanger I've seen to date.

charlie cleveland
05-14-2011, 05:55 PM
the parker was the neatest wall hanger ever as richard said...i would have liked to hung it on my wall but got out my reach quickly...hope they were just looking for a price and set reserve high and keep it in the family.... charlie

Mike Franzen
05-19-2011, 12:50 AM
Yea I put up the $600 bid. I would have loved to have had that old warrior for that price. Who knows it might have been worth restoring or it could have hung guarding the entrance to my gun room. Either way i would have been happy! Anybody else have an 8 gauge for that price hit me up :)

charlie cleveland
05-19-2011, 09:11 AM
it was a cool piece was it not....charlie

Bill Murphy
05-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Mike, I paid $470 for my first Parker eight. It was loaded up with color on the locks and needed a little sear grinding. I bought it from Steve Tucker, a name some of you will know, if you shop at Griffin and Howe. I saw Steve this past weekend, but he didn't have any more Parker eights for sale. Too bad. Many years ago, I had another chance at a reasonably priced Parker eight. It was made into a lamp and offered for sale at the old Maryland Antique Arms Show at the Fifth Regiment Armory in Baltimore. The asking price was probably under $100. I've been looking for that lamp ever since.

George Lander
05-19-2011, 02:07 PM
I PM'd him with an offer of $500 & never heard back.

Best Regards, George

Mike Franzen
05-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Well the 8 is another one of my dream guns. Maybe I'll find somebody that has one of those dangerous damascus barreled contraptions and will get it like you did Bill. Or did you buy it in 1907? JK.... :-P

Bill Murphy
05-19-2011, 07:34 PM
No, the $470 seven frame from Mr. Tucker is a fairly recent transaction, and a friendly one. I figured that George would know the lamp guy, but $500 just isn't enough for a good lamp.

George Lander
05-19-2011, 10:36 PM
Bill: No, I don't know the lamp guy (I wish I did). The last Parker 8 gauge that I had I paid two grand for at auction & got $8,500 for it. It was a 7 frame GH in pretty fair condition.

Best Regards, George

Mike Franzen
05-20-2011, 12:39 AM
I guess I need to hang with you two if I'm gonna get an 8 gauge reasonable

Bill Murphy
05-20-2011, 08:21 AM
I remember George's big eight. I looked, looked again and it was gone. Took a while, though.

charlie cleveland
05-21-2011, 06:19 AM
i wonder how many of the old 8 gauges wher abouts are known...best i remember there was around 400 parker 8 ga s made give or take a few... charlie

Destry L. Hoffard
05-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Guess the guy thinks we must be mad at home or he got the gun sold to somebody else. I've actually messaged him a couple times and not had any response at all.

DLH

Harry Collins
05-23-2011, 06:37 AM
Destry,

When the Parker was listed for sale he stated that he would answer any questions. From what I hear he never answered a question. I do hope he just kept the gun and was establishing a price for probate or family.

Harry