PDA

View Full Version : crow loads

charlie cleveland
05-01-2011, 10:06 AM
whats you fellas favorite crow load in 12 ga...i tend tolike the 3 3/4 1 1/4 of 7 1/2 whats yours.... charlie

Keith Parrish
05-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Charlie,
I don't have much for crow loads but I am currently going with 1oz #6 shot, claybuster wadd and 700x powder. assembled on my MEC 650. I am having a slight problem my 1oz charge bar is dropping around .85 to .89 of an ounce which when I go to crimp the shell the crimp kinda sinks down in the center. I have been adding a pinch of shot to get the crimp much better but is there a way I can get the darn charge bar to drop the weight it is suppose to??

I am sure that this load will take care of those coyotes and crows here on the ranch.

scott kittredge
05-06-2011, 05:00 PM
ok
, 20 ga 7/8 ths of an oz 6's. 12 ga. 1 oz or 1 1/8 th oz of 6's, 10 ga 1 1/4 oz of 5's or 6's, but 6 is the best for all ga's i find to shoot crows. i am no expert but i have killed a few crow over the years :whistle: scott

Harry Collins
05-06-2011, 05:16 PM
I too like 6's for crow and pigeon. They seem to kill a little further and both birds can be elusive.

Pete Lester
05-07-2011, 06:47 AM
I am having a slight problem my 1oz charge bar is dropping around .85 to .89 of an ounce which when I go to crimp the shell the crimp kinda sinks down in the center. I have been adding a pinch of shot to get the crimp much better but is there a way I can get the darn charge bar to drop the weight it is suppose to??

Two things going on, first MEC bars consistently drop light, they are designed for use with target size shot, go to "large" shot and there are more voids in the same space. Second, if you use "hard"/"magnum" i.e. high antimony shot it is lighter than "chilled" shot pellet for pellet, the MEC bars throw by volume and they are designed for use with heavier per pellet "chilled" shot.

I am going to guess you are weighing your shot charges to know they throw light. If so you have two options. CAREFULLY expand the shot cavity of the bar with a rat tail file. It won't take much filing so weigh frequently. The other option would be to use an adjustable charge bar. They can be a pain in the butt to set both powder and shot for each type of load, they do make one that uses MEC bushings for powder and you only have to adjust the shot cavity.

Good luck.

PS. Or you could just shoot 'em as is I doubt what you hit will know the difference.

Keith Parrish
05-08-2011, 01:27 AM
J.B.

Yes I have considered boring out the shot side of the bar slightly to gain this but my delima is that when I use a smaller shot than the 6 (7 1/2 or 8) it tends to weigh more correctly, less air more lead I guess. I may take the file to it a lil.

Those rem. black low brass hulls are great reloads I just like the stiffness of the plastic.