PDA

View Full Version : shim on hinge pin

Brent Francis
04-28-2011, 09:09 PM
I have a couple of old guns that I have tightened the action by putting a brass shim on the hinge pin. It seems to work well and saves the 300 bucks and 3 month wait that the local gunsmiths require. I was wondering if this type of repair has any downside other than the shims dont last forever, ie do the cause damage or danger? any thoughts

calvin humburg
04-28-2011, 10:29 PM
Brent don't think they will hurt a thing. Some use filler guages or steel shim stock from brownells. I was unfortunant I couldn't make it work on my lifter. Maybe the loose nut behind the wheel.

Mark Landskov
04-29-2011, 07:40 AM
I bought a $5.00 set of stainless feeler gages from my local auto parts emporium. The .004" leaf was just right for my 1877 Lifter. It brought it back on face and it now locks up like a bank vault! I may have been lucky, though, because other issues can come into play. The gap between the barrel flats and water table can be affected also. As long as you don't try to force the action shut with too thick a shim, you may be okay. Good luck. Cheers!

Harry Collins
04-29-2011, 10:47 AM
Brent,

I have a few Parkers that I have put back on face with brass shims and I have not seen any damage to hinge pin or lug. I do use a little of the red gun grease on wear areas of my guns including the shimmed area.

Harry

krishamilton
05-02-2011, 08:44 PM
i took out all the screws, pins, springs ect then spot welded the hinge then slowly used a round file and filed it down.

here is a video i learned how to do this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69LeO9bYKdI

Brent Francis
05-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Kris sounds like you did it the right way. I want to try that but think i will get a real wall hanger to try it out on first since I havn't welded anything since high school (long time ago)

Paul Harm
06-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Brad Bachelder, a master gunsmith will micro weld and refit for $100. It didn't take him very long. He did a Jones underlever SxS for me. I have done the shim stock and the only problem I've had is the shim moving and getting wrinkled on the end. Glues and epoxy don't seem to want to stick to stainless steel. Punching small holes in the shim to allow the glue to stick through seems to help. Paul

Bill Murphy
06-16-2011, 06:33 PM
LP is obviously a very talented multimillionaire. However, I see something wrong or lacking in every one of his gunsmith hint videos. If the breech face fit when the gun was new, why is he filing it down now?? Otherwise, I agree with the procedure he demonstrates, on a cheap gun. Otherwise, I would use a professional or use a shim. Why does he want to weld? Why doesn't he demonstrate the soldering of a shim instead, much easier for an amateur?