PDA

View Full Version : lefevers

charlie cleveland
04-27-2011, 08:22 PM
i have found a lefever 20 ga d grade 28 inch barrels full and modified...nice looking gun.. im interested in it but i have a question for yall...any body ever shoot one of these d grades 20s...how did yall like the way it handled and shot...these gun has a english stock that i like the looks of but ive never owned one with this type stock...do you fellas like shooting the english stock..diminions are good.... thanks charlie

Dean Romig
04-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Charlie, I prefer an English stock on any gun I shoot... just wished I owned more of them. I don't have any Lefevers so I can't comment but I know they are coveted by many. Shoot a PM to Josh Loewensteiner as he and his Dad are big Lefever collectors and shooters.

chris dawe
04-27-2011, 10:46 PM
http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad357/_heiko/th_LefeverDS002.jpg (http://s951.photobucket.com/albums/ad357/_heiko/?action=view&current=LefeverDS002.jpg)I have a 12 bore DS that I restocked myself to English ...I love the gun,the positive click of the Lefever sear's as they engage the hammer's is something I find very satisfying.

Good luck with her!!

tom leshinsky
04-27-2011, 11:07 PM
They are good guns and fun to shoot. A 20ga is relativly rare so treasure it. AS with all old shotguns use light loads.

Frank Cronin
04-27-2011, 11:15 PM
A D grade 20 gauge is a real good find Charlie. And straight grip to boot. I hope you get that Lefever and share pics when you do.

Dean Romig
04-27-2011, 11:25 PM
And if you decide not to get it I would be interested in it.

Jack Cronkhite
04-28-2011, 02:57 AM
Never shot a Lefever, but have recently viewed some eye candy north of the 49th. I don't know the guns at all. I was told it is an E grade but it was sold.

Mark Ouellette
04-28-2011, 07:34 AM
Charlie,

The Lefever Arms Company produced both a D grade and in later years, a DS or Durston Special grade. D grade Lefevers will have cocking indicators and some engraving. I'm not certain but I think that a D grade Lefever woudl be comparable to a GH Parker. A 20 gauge in D grade would be a great find. DS Lefevers have no engraving or cocking indicators. DS 20's are fairly common. DS Lefevers were teh very basic guns and on that basis would compare more to a Parker Trojan. Like a Trojan, there was nothing "cheap" about a DS Lefever!

I have a restored DS 20 ga which is my favorite gun in that gauge. I've let go a RBL 20 and have offered for sale a Parker DHE 20 because for me the little DS is THE gun in 20 gauge!

Mark

Bill Murphy
04-28-2011, 09:51 AM
A D Grade 20 gauge is a five figure gun in field used condition. Charlie, are you looking at a D or a Durston Special?

Mark Landskov
04-28-2011, 05:14 PM
If I remember correctly, about 72,000 side-plate Lefevers were made, with 12,000 of them being 'G' Grades. Overall, Lefevers (of any grade) are somewhat uncommon. My 'G' Grade is an 1895 vintage 12 gauge that has been taken care of rather well. If I didn't have an RBL for daily use, the Lefever would be my choice! Cheers!

charlie cleveland
04-28-2011, 07:45 PM
it is a d s 20 ga sorry about not putting the other s on ... have bought the gun will take pictures when i get in hand...nice gun i think hope it lives up to the lc smith 20 and the parker 20...ive never owned a straight stock gun before...hope i like it....ive shot my dads old lefever 10 a lot i really like it so maybe i will like the 20...

Steve Havener
04-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Charlie I think you will find your new Lefever DS to your liking. The gun has high quality steel barrels and will be quite safe with most modern moderate (7/8th ounce) loads but to be sure to measure the chamber lengths to make sure that they are not the old 2 3/8th inch chamber length. It's not likely that they are but it is possible.

Mark Ouellette
04-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Steve,

Oh! You are so correct! Now I remember my DS 20 kicking like a mule with 3/4 oz 1200 FPS loads due to its short chambers. I had them extended to 2 3/4" and now the little gun's recoil is a pleasent push.

Mark

charlie cleveland
05-02-2011, 10:35 PM
havenot recieved the lefever yet im like a kid at christmas time cant sleep wondering why santa so late....got a few rst 2 1/2 inch lite loads cant wait to shoot this little 20.... charlie

charlie cleveland
05-13-2011, 01:22 AM
just got the lefever 20 ga today..boy its a beauty that english stock sure makes the little gun look and handle well...i patterned it at 40 yards and both barrels are full choke... will have to get me some spreader loads...tested the gun with RST shells 2 1/2 inch lite loads... a fella could probably fire several boxes of these shells and not have a sore arm..all things said im really gonena like this little gun... charlie

Dean Romig
05-13-2011, 01:32 AM
just got the lefever 20 ga today..boy its a beauty. That english stock sure makes the little gun look and handle well... all things said im really gonna like this little gun... charlie

Just let me know Charlie, when you stop liking it... cause I would like to have a turn liking it too.

Dean

Rich Anderson
05-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Charlie-You will come to love the straight grip I assure you. RST makes a "Brush" load that will effectively open up your patterns. I'll pick some up at Haussmanns for a tight choked BH 28 I adopted at the Southern. Morris assured me these are just the ticket for our tighter choked guns.

charlie cleveland
05-13-2011, 04:13 PM
richard you are right i am beginning to really appreciate the english stock...i had asked a lot of people which stock they liked the best and they usally said the pistol grip..i should have tried one myself years ago...live and learn...i will get me some of those spreader loads for dove soon this little lefever is choked a little to much for doves but should be murder on squirls and crows... charlie