PDA

View Full Version : Steel shot question

Bill Bolyard
04-23-2011, 08:51 AM
Some where I think I read that there is not a difference in the barrels, and you can shoot steel out of any repro, not just a steel shot special. Is this the case?

Bill

Greg Baehman
04-23-2011, 09:35 AM
Yes, you can shoot steel through any Repro, it is recommended that it be choked less than full, however.

Bill Bolyard
04-23-2011, 02:59 PM
How about heavy shot?

Bill

Eric Eis
04-23-2011, 04:09 PM
How about heavy shot?

Bill

Bill that would be same, just not full choke

Brian Stucker
04-23-2011, 11:46 PM
Don't want to get too far off topic, but I was originally looking for a duck gun to shoot steel shot several years ago. Heck, that was when CSMC was selling those A1 Specials in white for about $6,800....seems like last century.

Anyway, I ended up with a 2.5 inch chambered gun and shot the Nice Shot last duck season. They are quite a bit more expensive, but they kick much less and are far quieter. Seriously Bill, dead birds were falling at ranges I never thought possible and won't shoot steel at ducks again.

My gun has 30" bbls and is choked F/F. Shots within 20 yards are a bit challenging, but I own everything from 25 to 40 yards.

I was shooting 5's and 6's with great success and couldn't be happier with the people at RST....they are the best. I shoot them out of my O/U's as well even though they can handle steel.

Just wanted to chime in and give a shout out to the RST boys.

Kenny Graft
04-24-2011, 08:10 AM
The steel shot specials had special bore and chokes made to patern steel better than standard repro bores. Jonn Allen at game fair worked with Tom Skues on the project....some 350 guns were made...I would love to have a double trigger SSS....(-: