PDA

View Full Version : PAPER?

Keith Parrish
04-21-2011, 12:15 AM
First and foremost I would like to thank you guys with for all the insight on reloading.This site is by far the best source of info I have found to date. I have been reading previous threads and there are some interesting ones that I have read twice cause I the knowledge to really sink in. THANKS

I have gotten the hang of loading my plastic hulls to the point where it feels natural on fridays to load up a few dozen in an hour. I am interested in the roll crimping but first I would like to load some paper hulls. I can't seem to find a reliable dealer who sells the paper shells. Any direction?? Also, are these best to be loaded with a crimp or should I get that roll crimper I've been eyeing?

Bruce Day
04-21-2011, 08:50 AM
I can't seem to find a reliable dealer who sells the paper shells. Any direction?? Also, are these best to be loaded with a crimp or should I get that roll crimper I've been eyeing?

There is a company called Federal that is the third largest ammunition manufacturer in the United States, and makes hundreds of thousands if not millions of paper shotshells yearly. While paper Feds are not carried by the big box stores, you can order a box, case or pallet from your local home owned sporting goods store. I have run thousands through a MEC reloader with a regular star crimp. The Feds use a soft brass that tends to expand and may stick in chambers.

Paper Feds are a well known favorite of clays shooters and known for soft shooting qualities.

Rich Anderson
04-21-2011, 09:06 AM
Graff and Sons offer paper hulls. They can usually be loaded once however as they btend to buckle. I have had paper hulls loaded in 16ga with both a roll crimp and a regular star crimp. I do not load my own 16's however but I think you need a drill press to do the roll crimp.

Forrest Grilley
04-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Ballistic Products sells new, primed, paper hulls made by Cheddite.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Cheddite-Multi-Hull-12ga-275-paper-tube-hull-bag_100/productinfo/13912PAP/

They use a plastic basewad so if you plan to load blackpowder, they probably won't hold up as long as a Federal hull (which has a fiber basewad). If you are loading smokeless it's a non issue.

charlie cleveland
04-21-2011, 02:22 PM
you can roll crimp the plastic hull with one of the old hand roll crimping tools...ive even rolled crimped a few 3 inch shells with the standard 2 3/4 rooll crimper but takes a little practice...the hand roll crimper is slow but does a good job...the drill press is faster even a cordless drill will work... and watch the rotation of the roll press some are counter clock wise and some are either way... charlie

Keith Parrish
04-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Charlie, I am looking at a older roll crimper on ebay but will also get a new one for my ryobi cordless drill. Which do you think is best crimp or rolling the paper??

I do care about being able to reload more than 2 times with my shells that is my goal in all this. Maybe I can find a hi quality paper shell. I have been looking at RSTSHELLS.COM 12ga hulls. They look pretty good but won't find out til I try or get sum input from PCGA.(hint hint)

I am loading with a MEC 650 so that sounds that I shouldn't have a problem loading with paper. If I use the federal hulls sounds like im going to have to get a sizer. the MEC sizing attachment for the 650 is a peice of =@&$! THey suckered me into that one!! After having to twice put it in a vice to knockout the hull I gave it a good chunk into the back of my reloading parts box...

Dave Suponski
04-21-2011, 10:12 PM
As far as resizing goes I use the stand alone Mec Supersizer. Great little machine with the collet type resizer.

Keith Parrish
04-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Hi Dave I believe you told me bout that one before. i gota decide between new and used. The most of the used are very closely priced to new so why not go new but I'm going to keep looking for a cheaper used one it might pop up one day.

So on average, If I buy a case of paper shells how many reloads can get out of them? I hear 2 to 3 often, is this true with all brands? can I or how could I get more outa my paper shells?? I am going with lighter loads with my plastic shells which I feel is making me a better shot and I think it is putting less stress to the hull.

Bill Davis
04-22-2011, 05:36 AM
Keith--I loaded Federal paper hulls for years. You can expect to get 3--maybe 4 reloads out of a once fired hull. As you continue to load and shoot these paper hulls, the crimp end gets thinner and thinner and then chunks started to get blown off the end of the hull. As the crimp end thins out, less pressure develops and the velocity starts to fall off too! In addition, pin holes start to appear just above the top of the brass. If you continue to shoot these hulls, eventually the paper tubes separates and you eject or extract only the brass head, leaving the paper tube stuck in the chamber. Sometimes, these are very hard to get out. Other times you can stick your finger in the chamber and it comes right out. One thing is true--no shotshell "smells" better then a newly fired Federal paper!!! On my desk is a paper federal hull. It was my last shot fired at the Grand American in the final year before they closed Vandalia. The smell has gone away--but the memory is still strong!!

charlie cleveland
04-22-2011, 10:28 AM
kieth i guess i like the roll crimping the best it iseaser on the hull and has less preasure than crimped loads by usally as much as 1000 to 1500 lbs less than crimped loads....but if your for more shells per hour then the crimp is faster...i do both ways but if ive only got a few special loads i will roll crimp...ive learned that the plastic black remington hull will load an average over 10 times with smokeless powder...by roll crimping or just crimping...seems to be one tough plastic hull...might as well get that resizer you will need it sooner or latter with any hull...good luck charlie

Harry Collins
04-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Keith,

I have thrown away way too many Federal papers that were still good as I was told that they could only be reloaded several times. As this precious hull became hard to come by for me I started reloading them more and more times. My loads were low pressure 7/8 & 1 oz with IMR 7625 powder. I could get eight reloads per hull or more. I would shoot them until the white paper inside was gone. A note of caution is to check the bore after firing and make sure the paper base wad has not seperated and stuck in the barrel.

Harry

charlie cleveland
04-22-2011, 04:33 PM
thanks harry for the reminder..the base wad will come loose in about all the hulls...as you said look down the barrel after each shot fired... charlie

Frank Cronin
04-22-2011, 06:24 PM
+1 Harry. Thanks for the heads up on the paper hulls / barrel check since I do use them for reloading black powder.

Paul Harm
04-23-2011, 05:31 PM
The roll crimp has a touch of class. Use your Mec and after the wad and shot drop pull it out and roll crimp. And if you get some paper wads from WWW.circlefly.com you can cut them off shorter and keep on reloading. Throw a couple of 2" shells in your pocket and amaze your friends. Paul

Keith Parrish
04-24-2011, 02:52 AM
Sooo... for each time I trim the hull should i lean back on the powder charge and shot to make it lighter since i'm using a shorter hull???

Harry Collins
04-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Keith,

I have not looked at the data for some time, however with paper wads you can still shoot a 1oz load in a 2' shell. The problem I have is trying to find pressure appropriate loads for my Twist Parkers. Balistics Products has paper wad data, but the pressures are higher than I like.

Harry

Paul Harm
04-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Why can't you shoot the same data for the 2 3/4 shell in the 2" ?

Harry Collins
04-25-2011, 05:20 PM
I was always respectful of shotgun shell data, following it to the letter. If you change one component you could change pressure by as much as several thousand psi. Substituting paper wads for plastic is going to change the pressure and I don't know which way. I remember with brass hulls and paper wads it takes much more powder than you would use with a plastic hull and wad. I cant fit the content of a 2 3/4" shell into one 2"s. I wish I was home to look at my notes.

Harry

Keith Parrish
04-25-2011, 08:47 PM
I was just thinking with less room in the hull that I'd have to use less shot but with a paper wad then I would have plenty of room for all the shot and powder i would need. I'm anxious to try some out. Some of the hulls I have that are split I'ma go and trim them down and give it a try.

Keith Parrish
04-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Should i trim them to 2 1/4inch?

Paul Harm
04-26-2011, 10:41 AM
In old reloading guides they recomended useing 10% less powder when going to the new plastic wads over the paper ones. So if we're going from plastic to paper, there should be no worries about pressures when useing paper wads in shells cut shorter. I've loaded down to 2" shells and everything in between without any problems. With paper hulls just trim off the end when it gets bad and use a little less cushion wad- makes the paper hulls go a lot longer. Paul