PDA

View Full Version : UNUSUAL FOX SW 20 GAUGE

Stephen Hodges
04-20-2011, 11:15 PM
Guys- I found this rather unusual Fox 20 ga SW for sale. Two questions. Why is the receiver a brown or rust color? Was it from the gun just not being used enough to wear off the case colors and them turning brown or rusty? Or was it worn and the receive was just neglected? Second, the barrels look as if they have been cut. What do you guys think?

Mike Shepherd
04-21-2011, 10:04 AM
There are many Fox shotguns that left the factory with the barrels not touching. I don't see anything to indicate those have been cut or for that matter indicate original length. Can you post a shot of the muzzle. There should be at least one keel in between the barrels.

Best,

Mike

Stephen Hodges
04-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Mike- This is the best pic of the front of the barrels. They are 26", M/F according to the seller with a choke taper of 2".

Mike Shepherd
04-21-2011, 10:48 AM
I tried to lighten up the center part of the picture and I think I see keels but I am not sure. The filing on the rib end looks factory. I have two graded Foxes, both sixteens, and the choke length on them is about 4". I have a Sterlingworth 12 and the chokes on it are about 4" long.

You can ask the seller if he will take another picture of the muzzle - with a darker background.

Best,

Mike

Stephen Hodges
04-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Thanks Mike. The more I look at this gun, the less interested I am in it. I would like a 20 SW, but I would rather have 28" barrels. And the receiver on this gun is down right ugly! IMHO.

charlie cleveland
04-21-2011, 02:12 PM
best to take a 3rd look...person can be sorry or happy 10 years down the road... ive been there...charlie

Jerry Andrews
04-21-2011, 08:16 PM
I have several Fox guns and they look about the same. Also, the barrel length of a Fox will not be spot on the number measurement. A 26 inch Fox would measure about
25 15/16". I don't know why this is but they are all that way, every one I've ever measured anyway. Jerry

Brent Francis
05-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Ive got a 16 sterly that looks alot like that the reciever is more grey than brown but I bet some hoppes and 0000 steel wool would take off some of the brown. Anyway its not my prettiest gun but its really nice in the field. Mine has 28 inch barrels they touch at the muzzle. unlike Parker there is no space at the end of the rib where the barrel matting stops.

Dave Suponski
05-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Steve, That could be dried varnish and there could be some great case color under that. Look again....:)