PDA

View Full Version : Detail clean on the lifter

Jeff Bonadurer
04-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Howdy All,
I would like some help or direction to remove the hammers from my shotgun
to facilitate better cleaning around and behind them. I found a thread on the
forum that linked to a disassemble instructions but it was for a top lever hammerless. I would like to also remove the butt stock, but unsure of what has
to be disassembled to remove it.
[img]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5109/5625343249_2611deb1cd.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/46845109@N06/5625343249/)
IMG_4184 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/46845109@N06/5625343249/) by Bonadurers (http://www.flickr.com/people/46845109@N06/), on Flickr/[IMG]

Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Jeff B.

Robin Lewis
04-16-2011, 08:30 PM
It isn't a lifter but it is a Parker hammer gun, look at FAQ # 35. Maybe you will get something from it?

Dean Romig
04-16-2011, 09:08 PM
Hi Jeff. The only thing holding those hammers on is the one screw and more than a hundred years of crud and possibly a bit of rust. The hammer has a square hole that fits over the square axle. I don't remember if there might be an ever so slight taper to tha axle - maybe somebody else can answer as to a taper.

Dean Romig
04-16-2011, 09:11 PM
It isn't a lifter but it is a Parker hammer gun.

Robin, I don't understand that statement.... :confused:

Jack Cronkhite
04-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Robin, I don't understand that statement.... :confused:

Too many chocolate chip cookies can cloud understanding. Have you been into them?

Emerging from my after cookie nap, this is my understanding of Robin's statement: Not a lifter refers to the gun in FAQ35 which describes disassembly of a hammer gun but not a lifter hammer gun.

Jack Cronkhite
04-16-2011, 09:51 PM
Jeff: Only use hollow ground screw driver tips that completely fill the screw slot, so you don't burr the screw head.
Cheers,
Jack

Dean Romig
04-16-2011, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the clarification Jack.

Humble apologies Robin.

now where'd I put those cookies...

Dean Romig
04-16-2011, 09:58 PM
Unfortunately that screw we're looking at has been abused a bit so very careful attention must be paid in following Jack's advice in being sure the screwdriver you use fits the slot perfectly and that enough downward force be used to keep the screwdriver seated in the slot.

Jeff Bonadurer
04-16-2011, 10:46 PM
Thanks everyone.
FAQ 35 looks like it will have the information needed.
I am aware of the importance of a good screwdriver tip to slot fit
but thanks for the reminder. :bowdown: I'll post a couple photos as I go.
My intention is NOT to refinish or remove any original finishes but merely
clean the gun up a bit to make it a little more presentable.
I will be very careful and take my time..

Kind regards,

Jeff

Richard Flanders
04-18-2011, 12:12 PM
From my experience the square hammer shaft is not tapered and that it can take some time and patience to get a hammer off that is corroded on. Assuming you get the screw out, it works well to just lay the lock/gun on it's side and drip liquid wrench, aerokroil, or some similar compound in there to loosed up corrosion or gunk and just LET IT SIT for at least a day. Be patient. You want the hammer to come straight off and not at an angle, which can round off the end of the shaft which can lead to an eternally loose hammer.

Mark Landskov
04-18-2011, 12:23 PM
After soaking the hammer and shaft, find a straight pin punch that fits inside the threaded hole on the tumbler. Support the backside of the lockplate on both sides of the tumbler, insert the pin punch until it bottoms out, and tap gently. I employed this procedure a few times with outstanding results and absolutely no damage to components. No prying was involved. With the lock plate supported from beneath and the hammer flat against the lockplate, the tumbler was allowed to drop when freed from the hammer. This worked well on my two 1870s vintage Lifters. I used a wooden mallet and tapped ever so lightly. Excessive force was NOT necessary. The definition of 'excessive' may be subjective, but believe me, I barely had to tap on the punch. Cheers!