PDA

View Full Version : Heading North unmolested

Jack Cronkhite
04-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Return trip may need evasive action. This species is quite adept at that. :)http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/albums/userpics/28884/Untitled-1.jpg

calvin humburg
04-14-2011, 10:30 PM
Nice picture Jack, as always. Really like Pintails but most ducks are pretty.

Jack Cronkhite
04-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Here's a familiar fella for many. Could be the overall best looking, favorite hunting duck around. Just an opinion :)
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/albums/userpics/28884/Untitled-1%7E0.jpg

Jack Cronkhite
04-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Here's a double for your SBT (not to be seen on the trip south of course)
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/albums/userpics/28884/IMG_7427.jpg

charlie cleveland
04-15-2011, 07:45 PM
jack those are really good pictures..arnt we the lucky ones that get to see such sights... i really like the old grreen head...do you have a photo of a red head..only seen one in my life not to many of them in north miss... charlie

Jack Cronkhite
04-15-2011, 08:06 PM
You bet we are lucky. The sights we see and can appreciate with or without a shootin' iron in hand. I may or may not have redhead or canvas back. Don't see them too often. Did see a redhead this week but didn't have the camera and he was at least 200 yards out sitting on water. Heard the unmistakable call of a flock of sandhill cranes yesterday. They were a mile high. They must fly twice the distance of the others as they continually circle their way north (and south for that matter). I wonder what they think they missed seeing the first time by?
Cheers,
Jack
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/albums/userpics/28884/IMG_7070.jpg

Theodore LeDurt
04-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Thank you for sharing. The spring is always enjoyable as waterfowl follow the ice lines north.

Rich Anderson
04-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Nice pics Jack. Good to see you back in the fold so to speak. I was begining to think you were abusing Moms talents with the new Mix Master...to many chocolate chip cookies will slow you down:whistle:

Dean Romig
04-15-2011, 10:09 PM
to many chocolate chip cookies will slow you down:whistle:

:biglaugh:

Jack Cronkhite
04-18-2011, 01:24 AM
I'll see your cookies and raise you a ......
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/albums/userpics/28884/IMG_5787sss.jpg

As the migration unfolds, today was soul satisfying. Headed out with the pups, no gun or camera - just to watch and quietly let it all sink into and blend into the collage of migrations past. CHARLIE and KYRA were focused on their newest game, much to the detriment of the mouse population. I just watched the sky, until the reflected spectral symphony of a prairie sunset filled the runoff wetlands with a radiance unknown to the fluorescent lit mall walkers. It was a glorious evening. Mallards and pintails, canvasbacks and red heads, Canada's of course and a score of swans swimming majestically on a temporary lake. A great blue heron winged by - likely the only local returning resident. The call of the snows became almost thunderous, as a gazillion or two dropped in for an evening meal. We do have a spring season but I never hear shooting - maybe I've grown more deaf than I know. I hope some of you have such days in your memory banks.
Cheers,
Jack

Dean Romig
04-18-2011, 07:01 AM
Nothing like you have Jack. Here on the Shawsheen Flats we have had Canadas serenading us to sleep and waking us in the morning (somewhat earlier than we would like) ever since ice-out and many of them are resident birds. Several species of ducks stop by for a few brief days but never in great numbers. For the last six or seven years two or three pairs of Mute Swans stay for a few weeks but eventually move on. It's nice to watch but not awe-inspiring like you all have in the plains.

Rich Anderson
04-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Lemon Merang (?sp) pie is hard to beat. Just polished off the last of the Ruhbarb the wife made.

Dad in your honor and that of the Boswell I have purchased a Claybaugh (London) 12 bore hammer gun. Shes sound of body with 30 inch fine damascuss choked IC/M. She's a lot lighter than my Grade 3 two frame Parker:shock:

Jack Cronkhite
04-18-2011, 10:15 PM
A little more study for that spelling bee next week, "Son". Made a mistake with rhubarb when Mom was a young bride. She knew how much I liked rhubarb pie so made me two one day. I ate the first one in usual young man style. I ate half the second one the next day and left the other half in the fridge for a bit too long. Mom asked why it was still there and I made the mistake of my life when it comes to pies. Nobody with life experience was there to give me a kick or explain how important the answer would be. I simply said, it doesn't quite taste like grandma's rhubarb pie - which was true but not that big a deal, unless you are a young bride who believes her "man" hates her baking. End result - not a single rhubarb pie for me for forty years and counting. Oh Mom will bake, but rhubarb remains a reminder of how one must very carefully assess a question from our better halves. I can't even trade her one of my lemon pies for a rhubarb baked by her. I'll assess whether or not to mention more shotguns in the "extended" family. I think I need to build the brownie point bank for a bit. Enjoy the Claybaugh.

I went a little early for the dog hike today. The gazillion snows are now a bazillion. Actually saw three young guys heading into a field to try their luck. They would be attempting to take a few after lift-off from the temporary lakes. I think I would set up where they go for dinner rather than hope for some pass shooting; however, with a bazillion birds, I imagine they did okay.

Cheers
Jack

Rich Anderson
04-19-2011, 08:48 AM
Back in the old days before Canada went to non toxic shot a group of us went to Manitoba for two weeks of Waterfowl and upland birds. We started off in the Pas for ducks then down to Oak Lake for geese. The number of Snows and Blue Geese along with a few Ross was spectacular to say the least. You could hear the birds comeing off Oak Lake for 20 min before you saw them.

The wife makes a good rhubarb pie...not quite up to my Moms but thats a secret I'll keep:)

calvin humburg
04-20-2011, 08:48 AM
Wish I could of ate a piece of you mothers pie Richard I like good rubarb pie with some homemade vinalla ice cream. best ch

Dean Romig
04-20-2011, 10:14 AM
My mother would make pies from what we grew in our garden and we had a good size rhubarb patch, a quarter acre of strawberries and ten high bush blueberry bushes. Her pies were "to die for" and she would bake strawberry-rhubarb or blueberry-rhubarb pies all the time. We had lots of apple trees, pear trees, peach trees, corn, beans, squash, etc. so we ate very well and liked what we ate, thanks to Mom.

calvin humburg
04-21-2011, 08:48 AM
My Mom makes a banana pie thats A1 special. n chocolate, pecan, pumpkin, custard, she wone the pie comtest at the fair. But bluebarrie rubarb i'm wiping the slobers off my chin!!! I love garden squash gonna grow me some. Don't suppose u got your moms recipe foe that BB rubarb pie Dean?

Eric Eis
04-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Guy's, you notice a all this talk is about "Mom's" pies and not your wifes.....:shock: Hey JD you might want to close this thread before alot of people get in trouble....:rotf:

Dean Romig
04-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Kathy needs no introduction... her cookies reputation preceeds her in certain circles :cool:

Eric Eis
04-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Still treading on "thin ice"

charlie cleveland
04-21-2011, 02:01 PM
jacks wife never ever baked him that rubarb pie after him telling how good moms was...as has been said you fellas treadinyin deep water..... charlie

Jack Cronkhite
04-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Charlie: Yep, some things last a lifetime. I make a rhubarb/apple/banana/pecan/raisin/prune/cinnamon/nutmeg/oatmeal crisp that "Mom" and I and others quite enjoy. I make a few different pies but I have yet to attempt a rhubarb pie for the good natured ridicule it will bring when I have to admit it didn't compare to the previous generation's fare. Oh well, I tip the scales way more than I should anyway. Hmmmm...... I wonder if sour grapes make a decent pie. :)

Cheers,
Jack

Dave Suponski
04-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Kathy's chocolate chip cookies are legendary! Some people will even steal them..just to indulge their own taste bud's in the comfort of their car on the way home from a certain shoot in PA.......:rolleyes: Just to let them know I have not forgotten this act of thivery....retribution will be sweet I assure you....:whistle:

John Dallas
04-21-2011, 06:18 PM
Jack - I'll bet that pie was more tender than the shoe sole I have injested on occasion

charlie cleveland
04-21-2011, 08:52 PM
would you dare tell who cooked that shoesole.... charlie

John Dallas
04-21-2011, 09:02 PM
I've put my foot in my mouth more times than I want to remember. Self-inflicted wound.

calvin humburg
04-22-2011, 09:19 AM
None better than my wifes custard pie. I injest my foot quite often as well.

charlie cleveland
04-22-2011, 10:10 AM
fellas ive gained 10 lbs just reading this..mite be a good thing we live so far apart from one another cause id probably break the scales eating all those good pies...id give all the wives a blue ribbon and one for you jack...if it were possible.... charlie

Rich Anderson
04-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Eric I did mention Audrey's excellent rubarb pie, I notice there are no kudo's to Vicky's baked goods:whistle:

Cathy Romigs (AKA Thelma)cookies are excellent fare. I have been blessed with consuming one ot two on occasion:bowdown:

Dean Romig
04-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Kathy Romigs (AKA Thelma) cookies are excellent fare. I have been blessed with consuming one ot two purloined bags of them on occasion:bowdown:

:whistle:

Rich Anderson
04-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Purloined bags????:vconfused: Are you learning Chinese at work now?

Gary Carmichael Sr
06-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Well we do not have rubarb here that I know of so we have to settle on sweet potato pie, pecan pie, and an old favorite chess pie.

Jack Cronkhite
06-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Gary: Okay, I'm fairly far north to take on a southern pie, but, what the heck. I have eggs, butter, sugar, flour as starters. I have heard of vinegar, lemon juice, buttermilk and vanilla but have no idea of proportions or of any other "grandma" secrets. If you can pass along a recipe for that chess pie, I'll give it a go. How does it come by its name?
Cheers,
Jack

Jack Cronkhite
06-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Purloined bags????:vconfused: Are you learning Chinese at work now?

Richard: Pretty sure he must have meant "pearl lined" bags because those cookies are real gems I hear.

Reminder: Father's day is fast approaching.

Cheers,
"Dad"

Dean Romig
06-13-2011, 02:29 PM
Mm-mmm... Kathy just baked a fresh batch of cookies yesterday. Too bad I have nobody to share them with...

Dave Suponski
06-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Dean, You have my address.....:rolleyes:

Dean Romig
06-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Sorry Dave... I never thought of (urrp) that. They're all gone now but maybe next time :D

Dave Suponski
06-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Damn.....:banghead:

Jack Cronkhite
06-14-2011, 11:14 AM
All this sweet talkin' put me into the kitchen with a bag of lemons and some other fixin's. Lookin' tasty enuf to share but then nobody ever comes this way so it's up to Kay and me to demolish this one.
Cheers,
Jack

charlie cleveland
06-14-2011, 02:43 PM
jack that just put my taste buds to working had to go get me a banana pop cikle to calm me down...thats a great looking pie if id abeen in your neighbor hood ida stoped in for a slice or two.... charlie

Jack Cronkhite
06-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Charlie: If you are ever in the neighborhood, we can each have a pie. Life's too short for slices :bigbye:

John Dallas
06-14-2011, 06:26 PM
When my Mom would make a meringue pie, she would keep all the egg yolks, put them in a glass with a spoonful of sugar, mix it up and I would ddrriinnkk it down. Salmonella? Not back then, apparently

Jack Cronkhite
06-14-2011, 08:24 PM
Our immune systems were so much tougher before advertisers showed all those scary animations of "germs" to sell "sterilize your world" products.

The big surprise for me with my first lemon pie was learning that it is the egg yolk that creates the color of the pie filling. Silly me thought it was the lemons.

Cheers,
Jack

Jack Cronkhite
06-27-2011, 01:03 PM
jack those are really good pictures..arnt we the lucky ones that get to see such sights... i really like the old grreen head...do you have a photo of a red head..only seen one in my life not to many of them in north miss... charlie

Charlie: Red Head ducks aren't normally around here in great numbers. This is a very different year. It is so wet and so much more available wetlands for the ducks/geese that I am seeing more and more species in numbers well beyond the norm. I have even seen four snow geese. I only see them during migration by the millions but never during mating season. Not sure if these four are just smarter than the millions or if they are just lazy or first go round and couldn't wait any longer.:rolleyes:

Here are some recent shots from the past few days. I find "in flight" tough shots. Far tougher with the camera than the Parker. The Red Head flock is about 400 yards. I would put the mallard "touch down" around 200 yards, as well as the three RedHeads in flight. The swimming RedHead pair is about 100 yards. Any nice in flight shots are 50-60 yards. I shoot a lot for a decent pic but when there is a good one, I enjoy it.

Now I know where the RedHeads are in a flock, maybe I can find where they feed and then intercept them along the way for some in flight entertainment.

Last pic is CHARLIE still believing in possibilities. She swam a long way and the blue bill just putzed along in front. When she came to shore, I think some of the liquid she shook off was sweat. I haven't bothered to shoot migratory ever since the lead shot ban. I did have the barrel on the SKB semi opened up for steel, just in case I ever wanted to bother. CHARLIE thinks I should bother :)

Cheers,
Jack

charlie cleveland
06-27-2011, 05:36 PM
simply beautiful jack...i never get bored as my grand daughter says looking at ducks..there coloring is beyond words...i too have not hunted ducks for a long while..ive killed a few hunting other things in the past years but no serios hunting..i start out each year to go duck hunting but have not got there as of yet... thanks charlie

Rich Anderson
06-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Very nice pics there Pops. If you do half as well with a Parker as you do with the camera then I don't have to worry about you going hungry.

I love to watch waterfowl but I haven't hunted them since the lead shot ban either. We would get some Red Heads in Manitoba each fall. The Grouse hunting along with the Huns is what I was after most. I had a GSP named Sturm and his first ever point was on a Hun in Manitoba.

Jack Cronkhite
06-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Yep, I favor upland birds as well. If it took me as many shotshells to get one duck as it does clicks of the shutter to get one good duck image, the cost per pound of duck meat would be beyond reach. But I do get to amuse myself year round this way.

Cheers,
Jack

Rich Anderson
06-27-2011, 08:09 PM
I never really cared for the taste of waterfowl and only hunted them when someone was along that would use them. The only upland bird I couldn't eat was a Sharptail I shot in The Pas northern Maintoba. Even the Black Lab wouldn't eat the thing. Never shot another one.

Jack Cronkhite
06-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Both are pretty heavy dark meat. Should you happen to ever shoot another sharptail or have any dark meat fowl, try this recipe (http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?p=34452#post34452). You might change your mind.

Greg Baehman
06-27-2011, 08:30 PM
Charlie: Red Head ducks aren't normally around here in great numbers. This is a very different year. It is so wet and so much more available wetlands for the ducks/geese that I am seeing more and more species in numbers well beyond the norm. I have even seen four snow geese. I only see them during migration by the millions but never during mating season. Not sure if these four are just smarter than the millions or if they are just lazy or first go round and couldn't wait any longer.:rolleyes:

Here are some recent shots from the past few days. I find "in flight" tough shots. Far tougher with the camera than the Parker. The Red Head flock is about 400 yards. I would put the mallard "touch down" around 200 yards, as well as the three RedHeads in flight. The swimming RedHead pair is about 100 yards. Any nice in flight shots are 50-60 yards. I shoot a lot for a decent pic but when there is a good one, I enjoy it.

Now I know where the RedHeads are in a flock, maybe I can find where they feed and then intercept them along the way for some in flight entertainment.

Last pic is CHARLIE still believing in possibilities. She swam a long way and the blue bill just putzed along in front. When she came to shore, I think some of the liquid she shook off was sweat. I haven't bothered to shoot migratory ever since the lead shot ban. I did have the barrel on the SKB semi opened up for steel, just in case I ever wanted to bother. CHARLIE thinks I should bother :)

Cheers,
Jack

No big deal, but the only Red Head ducks are the three in flight, the flocks of "Red Heads" on the water and the swimming pair with the Ruddy drake are really Canvasbacks.

Jack Cronkhite
06-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks for that observation Greg. Heading out soon for the dog hike. Will try to get close enough for some clear in flight shots, as neither species has been in abundance here.
Cheers,
Jack

Jack Cronkhite
06-28-2011, 12:24 AM
Had a good hike. Not around at the right time for most the ducks. Settled on images of a familiar shore bird for most of us who have spent time around sloughs, the Avocet. I ended up filling the memory card and was wondering what would I see on the way out that I will be annoyed about not having another card along. I use 8GB cards, so it takes a long time to fill one and I forget it is not endless. Well, Murphy's law held true. I encountered another unusual species for the area - antelope. Male, female and fawn. They only moved off the trail and stood about 75 yards away. I just kept rolling along at about 5MPH and watched them for a short while. The fawn wasn't too old, about triple the size of those little (some might say annoying) toy poodles. Now a Standard Poodle has my respect as a great hunting dog. I have never owned one but have watched one working in the pheasant fields. Very nice dog. The mosquitos were ugly tonight, even with netting jacket. The hands were bare for operating the camera and those little buggers knew it too. Okay, I seem to have blathered on a bit. Here are some shots of the Avocet

Dean Romig
06-28-2011, 06:44 AM
Jack, your photography skills amaze me.

Jack Cronkhite
06-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Lest you think I'm some kind of wizard, this helps me a lot. It is why there is still definition of ducks at 400 yards for the knowledgeable to tell the difference between canvasback vs. redhead. The lens is image stablized which helps focus a great deal when all I shoot is hand held. Of course there is still composition etc which can be helped a bit by other software as well as color work. A bit like playing games with film using dark room tricks. All much easier with digital. But, being at the right place, right time and knowing the possibilities and limitations of your gear is still for the guy behind the camera.

Dean Romig
06-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Oh... nevermind :shock:

david ross
07-02-2011, 12:06 PM
O yes thats the one for me.

All the best Dave.