View Full Version : Any of these qualify as "other fine doubles"

Jack Cronkhite
04-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Baker
Tobin Arms
Stevens 311
Remington Model 1894
Supreme Ibargun
Royal (built for the Hudson Bay Company)
J.P. Wilkinson
James Beattie & Son

Thanks,
Jack

Mark Landskov
04-15-2011, 09:57 PM
I would say the Remington, for sure. The Stevens 311 is one of the great 'budget doubles', not exactly 'fine', but sturdily built! I cannot speak for the rest. Cheers!

charlie cleveland
04-16-2011, 08:01 AM
the remington 94 is a fine a gun as there was built..the baker in upper grades was also top notch..and the stevens is a good solid gun...dont know about the others... charlie

Jack Cronkhite
04-16-2011, 03:47 PM
Thanks gents. There is an out of way auction happening in Manitoba and there are some interesting pieces. No Parkers or other better known (to me) guns. I will pay attention to the Remington 94, given there is some enthusiasm expressed over that one. The Baker is not at an auction and the barrels are trimmed (best I can gather) sitting at 24" and nobody I have spoken with is familiar with a 24" factory Baker.
Okay, gotta clean out some or its another steel tomb and that would be silly (I think).
Cheers,
Jack

Jim Thynne
04-20-2011, 02:44 AM
The Tobin is an interesting gun.A boxlock with sideplates.
Is ita Canadian address or a U S address? The Canadian gun is the rarer.

Jack Cronkhite
04-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Jim: It is Woodstock Ontario address on side plate. It looks like it has a home made butt stock that does not at all match the gun. Pictures suggest some rust issues as well. Not a quality piece as it sits. If someone wants a "fixer upper" you can see it HERE (http://www.icollector.com/Tobin-Arms-Co_i10468140)

Other SXS "stuff" at the same auction includes

J.P Wilkinson
Continental Arms
H. Spencer & Co
Ithaca Gun Co - Flues Hammerless
Hopkin & Allens Arms Co

Also a Bacon Arms Co Single shot exposed rabbit ear hammer mounted on the side and twisted (factory) to strike firing pin at center. That's different.

Maybe the pictures aren't great but to my old eyes most the "stuff" looks in fair to poor condition.

There are also rifles, pistols, ammo and a '98 Pontiac with only 37,000km (23,000 miles)

Cheers,
Jack

George Lander
04-22-2011, 03:36 PM
I have a James Beattie & Son 8-bore hammergun which is as finely made as any other London gunmaker's product at that time. He was in business under that name from 1864 - 1879 at 204 Regent St., London and as James Beattie & Co. at 104 Queen Victoria St., EC, London from 1881-1894. The company began in 1832 at43 Upper Marylebone St., Lndon.
(This from "BRITISH GUNMAKER VOL II", Nigel Brown.

Best Regards, George

Jack Cronkhite
04-23-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm getting depressed over internet live auction bidding. Okay on setting a max bid but not okay with increasing bid during event. No time to react.

So sad tale of woe

James Beattie I bid 300 sold for 325
Remington 1897 I bid 325 sold for 330
A Winchester 1894 Pump I bid 150 sold 200

Although not "pristine" any one of the above could be brought back with not much more than a thorough cleaning.

I did win a box of Canucks paper #4's 12 gauge 2 3/4 " that apparently nobody else wanted My max $20 and they were happy to unload it I guess as there were no other bids after that. It will not be retained as collector stuff. There will be some late season roosters for those #4's.
And for some unknown reason I put in a 40$ bid on that beat up Bacon Arms with the weird side twisted hammer single shot. They saw me coming on that one. So a box of shells and a beater hammer gun. Now that's a good day.

Guess you gotta be there or learn how to react much faster at the keyboard. I can barely keep the auction refreshed as it progresses.

Cheers or :(
Jack

charlie cleveland
04-23-2011, 10:24 PM
jack that ol hammer single was the dimond in the ruff...i bet you turn this thing into a work of heart...i too feel sorry for these old pieces nobody wants.. ive got a few of them some have been converted to good shooters again and some just taking up space.... charlie

Jack Cronkhite
04-23-2011, 10:34 PM
We'll see. It sure is different. I think I'm more pleased with the paper Canucks, as I know the only work they'll need is placing a live round in the chambers and extracting the fired hull and retrieving the bird of course. :bigbye: