PDA

View Full Version : Cheerios and 3/4 ounce 12ga

Pete Lester
04-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Cheerios, they are not just for breakfast anymore.

They make an excellent filler wad. It seems one cheerio is equal to the space of 1/8 ounce of shot.

I took my favorite target load in 12ga AA hull, Red Dot 16.5gr, Win Grey or Pink Wad, 7/8 ounce shot and then put one cheerio as a filler with the Win Grey Wad with 3 /4 ounce of 8.5's. With the pink wad two cheerios gave a perfect crimp. They worked very well on the skeet field this evening too.

Now talk about a soft recoiling load, a 3/4 ounce 12ga is very comfortable, and it stretches out a 25lb bag of shot too. I think I can go down one size on the powder bushing to about 15.7 grains of Red Dot.

Rich Anderson
04-12-2011, 07:44 PM
I was loading a 2 3/4 low pressure load for my 20ga using 7/8oz of 8's in a Rem STS hull. One Cheerio on top of the shot column and a perfect crimp.

Dean Romig
04-12-2011, 08:07 PM
I think an overly zealous NRO could run you in for baiting with a load like that :shock:

Pete Lester
04-12-2011, 08:34 PM
I guess then my skeet gun has a new nickname, "The bird feeder" :rotf:

Seriously though a 28ga load in a 12ga gun is a very pleasant load to shoot, and effective too. The Cheerios are an economical, easily available filler wad and the fact that a single cheerio takes the space of 1/8 ounce of shot makes for easy loading of super light 12ga loads.

Dean Romig
04-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Quaker Oats has nothin' on you...

Now Cheerios is "Shot From Guns" too.... am I showing my age? :whistle:

Keith Parrish
04-12-2011, 08:57 PM
that's what i'm looking for a way to stretch a bag of shot and still gettin decent quality rounds off!!

I gona try this one! THANKS

Mark Ouellette
04-13-2011, 07:15 AM
Thanks Pete!

I'm going to try Cheerios instead of the 16 fiber wads I currently use in my 10 Gauge loads. Cheerios would be much cheaper than fiber (filler) wads!

Mark

Pete Lester
04-13-2011, 08:08 AM
Thanks Pete!

I'm going to try Cheerios instead of the 16 fiber wads I currently use in my 10 Gauge loads. Cheerios would be much cheaper than fiber (filler) wads!

Mark

Mark I thought the same thing and loaded up a couple of short 10 1 1/8 loads, they took 4 cheerios :-) Filler is filler as far as I am concerned. The cheerios crush and turn to dust on firing as far as I can tell. There is no confetti like some of the fiber fillers produce. Not only are the Cheerios much less expensive they are immediately available at the grocery store and can be used in different gauges. I found no difference in the crimp whether the Cheerios were horizontal or vertical. Just drop them in the shot cup and load the shell.

Another plus, with a box of Cheerios on the reloading bench you can have a little snack now and then while reloading :rotf:

charlie cleveland
04-13-2011, 10:40 AM
they always said that cherios went a long way...i will also try themin my loads...ive been usingtoilet paper it works and crimps fine just a lot of confetta on the ground till it rains or you mow the yard..also helps clean the bird if hes close by... charlie

Bill Murphy
04-13-2011, 02:00 PM
Various sizes of bean will do the same. One poster mentioned the advantage over smaller shotgun wads is that the cereal or bean is not sensitive to the way it is placed in the shell. Thank you, Pete.

Rich Anderson
04-14-2011, 08:10 AM
Pete here's an idea that perhaps you haven't considered. Instead of loading a28ga equivelent load in the 12ga just buy a 28 then have the Cheerios for breakfast:rotf::rotf:

Pete Lester
04-14-2011, 08:18 AM
Pete here's an idea that perhaps you haven't considered. Instead of loading a28ga equivelent load in the 12ga just buy a 28 then have the Cheerios for breakfast:rotf::rotf:

Cuz the 28 would kick harder and pattern worse and I can use all the money I saved to drive to shoots :rotf:

Rich Anderson
04-14-2011, 08:38 AM
Save money???:vconfused: The 28 will appreciate in value therefor increasing your net worth:whistle:

Brian at New Era Ammunition loaded some 2 inch paper 16's with the equivelent of a 28ga load and what a nice shell to shoot for Grouse and Woodcock. Almost as nice as actually useing my 28:p

Pete Lester
04-14-2011, 08:51 AM
Save money???:vconfused: The 28 will appreciate in value therefor increasing your net worth:whistle:

Brian at New Era Ammunition loaded some 2 inch paper 16's with the equivelent of a 28ga load and what a nice shell to shoot for Grouse and Woodcock. Almost as nice as actually useing my 28:p

Since I have yet to sell a Parker any 28ga would be a sunk cost for me and a capital gain for my heirs.

charlie cleveland
04-14-2011, 05:31 PM
how true ...wonder if any of myheirs appreciate my stuff or will they sale it...i hope they appreciate the things ive looked after in life.. charlie

Rich Anderson
04-14-2011, 05:42 PM
I hope I have the ability and the intestinal fortitude to sell everything when I can and enjoy the cash. The thought has crossed my mind to limit myself to a couple of Parkers and a deer rifle when I retire....oh the horror of it all.

lee r moege
04-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Personally I like Charlie's TP filler idea!!! The way I shoot it doesn't hurt to have some extra around. Lee.:rotf:

charlie cleveland
04-16-2011, 07:08 AM
thanks lee the old tp works good..have shot it in the 8 ga down to the 16. but gonna give those cherios a workout soon.. charlie

Ed Blake
04-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Claybuster has a new wad for 3/4 oz. in the 20 gauge. Sure wish they'd make one for the 12.

lee r moege
04-16-2011, 03:55 PM
I show Alliant Extralite powder @16grains with CB 0178-12 for a 3/4 oz. load in Remington cases going 1300fps. They also use it in Winchester cases and others if you look in the Alliant web site. I'm using the 20 gage load with Green Dot as soon as my 3/4 oz P/W bushing comes. Lee.:)

Paul Harm
04-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Claybusters does make one - they just don't advertize it as one. It's the CB-0178-12 wad made for the 7/8oz load. I read about it in a sporting clays magazine. The 0178 wad is .060 higher than the 4100 wad. You'll have to adjust the final crimp station - two of us at my club have been useing it for about a month now. We use the same powder as we would for the 7/8oz load. I use 15grs of 700X. I have an adjustable charge bar, so I'm always messing with charges. I've noticed that any wad has shot above the wad pedals. If an 1/8oz less shot is used it comes to the top. For that reason I always load 7/8oz in a 1oz wad, or 3/4oz in a 7/8oz wad. You will notice tighter patterns with 3/4oz loads. Because of the shorter shot column there's less shot deformation at the bottom which means less fliers. In the article the man used chilled shot and fiber wads to get good patterns at skeet. Otherwise they were too tight. We're getting good breaks on 5-stand at 30 to 40yds with no chokes. Paul

Paul Harm
04-20-2011, 11:50 AM
The CB-0178-12 will work. Read about it in a sporting clays magazine. Two of use have been useing it for about a month. Use the same load data as you would for 7/8oz load. I use 15grs of 700X. There is always about an extra 1/8oz of shot above the wad pedals [any wad from any manufacture ] and why I don't know. So because I use an adjustable charge bar I'm always messing with charges. I load 7/8oz in a 1oz wad, and 3/4oz in a 7/8oz wad. This way ALL the shot is protected [ which is what the wad should do in the first place ]. With 3/4oz in a 12 ga you'll notice tighter patterns. We're getting good breaks at 30 - 40yds with no chokes. It's because of the short shot column height there's less shot being deformed at the bottom, meaning less fliers. In the article the man went to chilled shot and fiber wads to get big enough patterns for skeet. Maybe anyone else going to 3/4 in a 12 will let us know about patterns they get. Paul

Pete Lester
04-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Well one Cheerio is a dandy filler for 3/4 ounce 12ga wads and I have had no issues using two Cheerios with the Claybuster pink wad (1 ounce wad), HOWEVER..... Four Cheerios in an SP10 wad for 1 1/8 ounce was not as good. I shot a round of trap last night and all the shells went bang but there were several (more than is acceptable) shots that I could feel were not full power and they sounded slightly off too. I am guessing it is the voids between the multiple Cheerios not keeping things tight.

So with that said I will use fiber filler wads in my 10ga reloads and Cheerios in 12ga to shoot 3/4 ounce loads.

Paul I am using AA hulls in 12ga with the CB-0178 wad, MEC bushing 27 for 15.7 grains of Red Dot. With 3/4 ounce they need the Cheerio filler to crimp correctly.

Paul Harm
04-23-2011, 04:22 PM
Pete, somehow I got a double post [ brain fart ]. I had to adjust the final crimp on my old Mec87 Grabber a couple of times with a Remington hull. Usually the Win. hull reloads the same but maybe not with only 3/4oz. I'll try and find a Win to reload. What powder you useing in the 10ga ? Paul

Pete Lester
04-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Pete, somehow I got a double post [ brain fart ]. I had to adjust the final crimp on my old Mec87 Grabber a couple of times with a Remington hull. Usually the Win. hull reloads the same but maybe not with only 3/4oz. I'll try and find a Win to reload. What powder you useing in the 10ga ? Paul

Paul, for clay targets I have been using 22 grains of Green Dot, Win 209, SP10, 16ga filler and 1 1/8 ounce lead shot in a federal hull.

Paul Harm
04-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Thanks

Jack Kuzepski
05-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Instead of using Cheerios or filler wads I've been using Polish Peanuts (the packing stuff). Just figgure out about how much you need and use an Exacto knife and cut off and place on top of shot charge. If it is a little too much it is compressable but still fills out the crimp and they weigh next to nothing so should not change internal pressure of shell by very much.

Jack Kuzepski

Dean Romig
06-17-2011, 11:15 PM
You can have your "cremains" (ashes) loaded into bullets or shotgun shells and Kathy has instructions to have mine loaded into shells of various gauges so my friends can take me out shooting after I'm gone. Problem is, I'll still probably miss.... even with you aiming :shock:

But I think that would make a pretty decent filler, don't you? :rolleyes:

Frank Cronin
06-18-2011, 08:47 AM
Yeah, I think they would work good. Inserting your ashes into shells to have your friends & family shoot them is a sure way to "go out in a bang". A 25 straight in skeet, a few doubles pins earned, and a big fat duck shot from over 50 yards and other amazing shots that will make people talk about you for a long time to come.

John Dallas
06-18-2011, 09:19 AM
I'm told there was a man who had his ashes put in a container in the bottom of a canvasback decoy, which was cast afloat on the Chesapeake Bay, with a brass plate asking the finders to simply cast it off again, so the man could enjoy the Bay forever

scott kittredge
06-18-2011, 06:42 PM
You can have your "cremains" (ashes) loaded into bullets or shotgun shells and Kathy has instructions to have mine loaded into shells of various gauges so my friends can take me out shooting after I'm gone. Problem is, I'll still probably miss.... even with you aiming :shock:

But I think that would make a pretty decent filler, don't you? :rolleyes:

dean, when your ready and i am able to do it i will do as she ask. i hope it is still a long way out!! you don't want me shooting you at any thing, i will just dust them as i always do :rotf:

charlie cleveland
06-18-2011, 10:06 PM
you guys are far out...hope its awhile beforeyou get loaded up... charlie

Dean Romig
06-19-2011, 06:45 AM
Me too Charlie!

Thanks Scott - I've seen you shoot and I'd be honored if you'd be one of the "team" :smiley7: