PDA

View Full Version : Holy Grail?

Joe Bernfeld
04-09-2011, 11:07 AM
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Used-Parker-Repo-28-ga-DHE-Single-barrel-set-.cfm?gun_id=100169854

28" IC/Mod? First 28 ga I've seen choked that way. I wonder if the chokes are original.

Greg Baehman
04-09-2011, 08:10 PM
It appears the seller has a tough time getting his descriptions accurate, check this description and then look at the gun.
http://www.gunsinternational.com/New-In-Factory-Box-28-410-ga-DHE-2-barrel-set.cfm?gun_id=100169856

Maybe your linked gun is indeed a 28" IC/M, but maybe not . . . when you look at the lower left compartment of the case you can tell that the gun is resting in a case designed for a 26" gun.

Jay Gardner
04-09-2011, 09:55 PM
It appears the seller has a tough time getting his descriptions accurate, check this description and then look at the gun.
http://www.gunsinternational.com/New-In-Factory-Box-28-410-ga-DHE-2-barrel-set.cfm?gun_id=100169856

Maybe your linked gun is indeed a 28" IC/M, but maybe not . . . when you look at the lower left compartment of the case you can tell that the gun is resting in a case designed for a 26" gun.

Single barrel guns with 28" barrels are are pretty rare and I am inclined to agree this is actually a 26" barreled gun for that reason. However, I don't follow whate you are saying about the case. Will you elaborate?

Dean Romig
04-09-2011, 10:59 PM
The safety 'switch' on a Repro is 7/8" long. It should be easy to figure using that measurement to determine the length of the barrels.

Greg Baehman
04-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Single barrel guns with 28" barrels are are pretty rare and I am inclined to agree this is actually a 26" barreled gun for that reason. However, I don't follow whate you are saying about the case. Will you elaborate?

The following three pics are all Parker Repro cases.

The 1st pic is a Repro case for a 26" gun, the 2nd pic is a Repro case for a 28" gun and the 3rd pic is the advertised and supposed 28" IC/M gun with the lower left compartment cropped out of the seller's original pic. Look at the shape/length dimension of the lower left storage compartment---you can easily see the difference. Given that the advertised gun's barrels fill up the length of the barrel compartment without a spacer block and the shape of the lower left storage compartment makes it obvious to me that it is a 26" gun.

Before noticing this I began formulating a game plan on how I was going to sweet-talk Mrs. B into why I absolutely had to have this gun. As it now stands, I don't have to and she lucked out!

Joe Bernfeld
04-10-2011, 09:45 AM

He does have some trouble counting triggers...:shock:.

Chuck Heald
04-10-2011, 12:21 PM
:vconfused:

Tony Guccioni
04-11-2011, 07:34 AM
Considering I've only been in the market for a Parker Repro. for 6 weeks or so, this 28 has perhaps the nicest chunk of walnut I've yet seen.
How does it stack up with you guys? Above average?
(Shame I'm not into sub-gauges)

Jay Gardner
04-11-2011, 08:06 AM
I think it's got good wood and the forend clearly matches up with the buttstock. Some have cautioned about buying a Repro with a straight stock that has a lot of figure in the wrist but it appears from the pictures that the grain straightens out at the right place.

I have seen very few 28 ga Repros for sale in this configuration and I think the chances of finding a repro in this configuration with one set of 28" barrels will be very slim. Even a 2-barreled set in this configuration will be tough. I have a 2-barreled set with a straight stock, dt's and a BTFE and, honestly, I really don't notice much difference between the 26" and 28" barrels. I guess what I am saying is I would not let the 26" barrels keep me from buying the gun if my heart was set on this confoguration.

Dean Romig
04-11-2011, 08:54 AM
I agree with Jay as to the difference (or lack thereof) between 26" and 28" barrels for shooting.

That is one of the better pieces of wood I've seen on a D grade Repro.

Joe Bernfeld
04-11-2011, 09:06 AM
I emailed the seller, and he says they are indeed 28" IC/Mod. However, if the LOP is 14 1/4" (average), then the scale of the picture would make the bbls 26" :banghead:. I agree, very nice wood.

Jay Gardner
04-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Jump on it.

Joe Bernfeld
04-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Jump on it.

I already have the 28 ga. Repro. I want (26" Q1/Q2, DT, PG, BT). I posted this in case someone else on this forum was interested.

Dean Romig
04-11-2011, 09:28 AM
[QUOTE=Joe Bernfeld;40073]I want (26" Q1/Q2, DT, PG, BT)QUOTE]

Kathy has that exact gun and it is a wonderful shooter. I even borrow her barrels for early season grouse and woodcock.

Tony Guccioni
04-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Another thing regarding wood that I've seen on Parker Repros...the dissimilarity is astounding.
I can't think of another line of guns that are stocked with timber that most would consider very good right thru' to exquisite. Some examples I would venture to describe as beautifully bizarre !!
My experience mainly lies with Winchesters out of the Olin-Kodensha factory and mid range berettas (Dt10s, eell and the like).With these and most other half decent production guns you have a fair idea what you''ll find when it comes to wood quality/figure and grain. With these Parkers, you just don't know what the heck the next gun is going to be 'wearing'.
Yes, I know it's all part of the mystique and that's one of the reasons I intend joining the owners club.
Can't wait.

Cheers.

Greg Baehman
04-11-2011, 11:28 AM
I emailed the seller, and he says they are indeed 28" IC/Mod. However, if the LOP is 14 1/4" (average), then the scale of the picture would make the bbls 26" :banghead:. I agree, very nice wood.

Joe, I agree with you. At least you got the seller to e-mail you back, I have yet to receive a response from the two e-mails I sent him. Despite the seller telling you that the pictured gun has 28" barrels, I don't believe it.

This seller sure has come up with some interesting and out-of-the-ordinary Repro listings. Let's take a look:

Here's a 28/.410 set. This gun is described as a SST gun, but the pics are of a DT gun. When was the last time you seen a set like this listed that did not include a separate forend for the .410 set of barrels? I never have.

Here's a Sporting Clays Classic, listed as a 2-bbl. set. Where are the choke tubes? When have you ever seen a SCC that was part of a 2-bbl. set? I never have.
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Used-In-Factory-Box-12-ga-Sporting-Clays-DHE-2-barrel-set.cfm?gun_id=100169771

Now, none of the above prove anything, but nonetheless; are suspicious in their listings and raises a little red flag--at least for me.

Eric Eis
04-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Good point Greg.

Paul Ehlers
04-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Joe, I agree with you. At least you got the seller to e-mail you back, I have yet to receive a response from the two e-mails I sent him. Despite the seller telling you that the pictured gun has 28" barrels, I don't believe it.

This seller sure has come up with some interesting and out-of-the-ordinary Repro listings. Let's take a look:

Here's a 28/.410 set. This gun is described as a SST gun, but the pics are of a DT gun. When was the last time you seen a set like this listed that did not include a separate forend for the .410 set of barrels? I never have.

Here's a Sporting Clays Classic, listed as a 2-bbl. set. Where are the choke tubes? When have you ever seen a SCC that was part of a 2-bbl. set? I never have.
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Used-In-Factory-Box-12-ga-Sporting-Clays-DHE-2-barrel-set.cfm?gun_id=100169771

Now, none of the above prove anything, but nonetheless; are suspicious in their listings and raises a little red flag--at least for me.

All good points & follow my first impressions as well.

The sporting clays gun runs the red flag the most with me. My first question would be that I wanted to see pictures of the choke tubes. They should be win-chokes from Winchester, also shouldn't the sporting clays specials have a beavertail? But with that said it is an interesting combo if it's an actual SCC. The 26" Q-1/Q-2 barrels for skeet and the longer 28" tubed barrels for sporting clays.

If I were interested in any of these I would make sure to have a long phone conversation with the seller and ask lots of questions.

Alaska is a long ways away with expensive shipping costs just to possibly find things not to your liking.

Joe Bernfeld
04-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Looks like he actually measured the barrels. He changed his ad to read 26"...

Greg Baehman
04-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Looks like he actually measured the barrels. He changed his ad to read 26"...
HAH!

Even though I have no money, I was so sure of my suspicions that in my 2nd e-mail to the seller I told him I would take the gun at his asking price--providing the pictured gun was indeed as he had described--that being a 28" factory choked IC/M gun. The seller hasn't responded to these e-mails at all to say that the he was mistaken or that there was a typo in the ad--not that he had to, but that would be the proper thing to do. This all raises that little red flag a bit higher for me regarding his other listings.

Paul, SCC's were built in all configurations including splinter forends and DT's. Win-chokes could be installed in any gun, I would want to see how the barrel flats of his listed SCC are marked to make sure they are factory stamped ISC--providing that checks out I'd also make sure all serial numbers matched.

Bill Murphy
04-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Tony, you are sure correct about the range of wood quality on Repros. However, you may not know that Mr. Skeuse owned the company that supplied the wood. The name of the company is Calico Hardwoods. They are still in business, apparently.

Dean Romig
04-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Bill, that's about the same as my recollection too - I think I read somewhere that he bought it for the specific purpose of supplying wood for his Parker Reproduction endeavor.

Tony Guccioni
04-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Bill, thankyou for your tidbit re: Calico Hardwoods.
I suppose the success of Parker Repros ( at least in OUR minds ) is due to the vision of a single person.
If Mr. Skeuse wanted to use top notch wood of varying figure in a single grade of gun then so be it. No committee or board of directors to answer to. What a luxury!

Bill Murphy
04-13-2011, 05:55 PM
Yes, Mr. Jack Skeuse ranks right up there with Tony Galazan and Steve Lamboy as heroes in the modern US shotgun world.

Trigg Davis
04-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Though I don't post often some of you know me and a lot more of you know my good friend and hunting partner Rich Flanders. Both of us our Alaskan's as is the seller of these guns.

Though he does not list his full name I am confident I know the seller and have known him for over 35 years. I know the gun shop and the owner of the gun shop where he bought quite a selection of Parker reproductions. The owner said he let him inspect them as they came in and select the wood he wanted.

I acquired a 28 gauge Parker reproduction form him just a few years ago. He had guns still in the boxes and wrapped as they came. Totally untouched. He had a few that he took on a trip out of Alaska and hunted, sometimes only once. I believe I was told he once had in excess of 20 of these guns. He is a successful retired individual. If he got barrel length wrong I expect it was inadvertent.

He has some unusual guns and he bought them I believe as investments though of course he shot a few of them. In any event over time we all must pick a time to sell. He has mentioned to me a time or two over the last few years that he really should market some of these so his wife won't have to deal with it if someday. I think that is all he is trying to do.

He has had some nice things. I believe this may be an unusual opportunity and that he is well be worth a call. I just thought some of you would like to know that.

Trigg

Richard Flanders
04-14-2011, 01:10 AM
I just spoke with Trigg about the owner of this Repro. I'm pretty sure I've met him at the gunshop. Trigg knows him pretty well and apparently he has quite a collection. Prices seem a bit steep but not by much. I sold a similar gun to Dave Miles but with a beavertail for not much less than his asking price on this one. If anyone is interested in investment Repros they might call him and inquire about the unopened ones. Apparently some have not been even touched yet and he has some interesting combinations, some including .410's. The owner is an old time Alaskan who used to do a lot of wolf shooting from his Supercub until they outlawed it. This guy could tell you some stories for sure.

Richard Skeuse
04-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Hi Bill My father Tom Skeuse was the one who made the Repro's possable not my Brother Jack. Although Jack did run the division for a while. Thanks

Jay Gardner
04-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Richard,

I'd like to buy you, Jack and Tom a drink. Great products, vreat value and a heck of a business venture.

Sincerely,

Jay Gardner

Richard Skeuse
04-18-2011, 02:52 PM
Thanks Jay, Southern comfort Manhattan will do,dirty ice on the side

Jay Gardner
04-18-2011, 03:10 PM
It's a deal. I've been told that I make a wicked Manhattan however, I've never tried making one with Southern Comfort. (I'm more of a Rye guy).

Bill Murphy
04-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Richard, thank you for the correction. I didn't look at any of my research material before making the post. I hope all is well with you and your business interests. Bill Murphy

Richard Skeuse
04-19-2011, 08:53 AM
Thanks Jay, I got your message. No problem. I couldn't figure out how to reply on your message so I am sending it here Thanks again