PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa find

Travis Newman
04-04-2011, 09:03 PM
I found this gun at Tulsa for less than some broken parts gun. Serial 1227 is alittle rough. Someone sanded the checkering off but still a nice gun. Look behind the dog at the back of the lock it looks like another serpent head.

Robin Lewis
04-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Wow, nice find! :shock: It looks like a nice high grade Parker. From the pictures it look like a $200 or $250 dollar grade? What gauge is it? It looks like there are records on it, did you get a letter?

Mike Wilkerson
04-04-2011, 09:30 PM
A great looking gun! Just what do broken, parts guns sell for? ;-)

calvin humburg
04-05-2011, 01:45 PM
That's superb wish i'd of beet you to it. Was it on the top floor or bottom.

Travis Newman
04-05-2011, 06:59 PM
I got it for $900. It was on the bottom floor. I found it on Friday early. Once a had it in my hands I didn't put it back on the table. Someone had blue it but I removed it and will leave it like it is. The only thing I'll do is to have it checkered and barrels done. I saw a D hammer that someone used as a hammer to pound some nails in for $950. It's a 12 gauge with 30in damascus barrels bores are alittle rough. I'll probably order a letter but wasn't sure on how far back they will go.

Robin Lewis
04-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Travis,
On the main page, click on Research Letters and at the top of that page there is a link for Serial Number Search that will ask for the serial number and tell you if there exists information for a letter. I entered your serial number (assuming I didn't transpose any digits) and it said there is information for a letter.

George Lander
05-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Travis: It is possible that the stock & forearm your Grade 3 hammergun was never checkered to begin with. It could have been ordered without checkering. I hope that you ordered the letter. That might tell you. Congratulations on a SUPER BUY!

Best regards, George

Bill Murphy
05-05-2011, 12:59 PM
The finish on your D is very nice. What did you use to get the blue off? Did it have any negative effect, like etching of the surface? I have two blued Parkers that I would consider removing the blue from if they came out looking like yours. Thanks.

Travis Newman
05-05-2011, 03:59 PM
As for getting a letter I did get one and received it this week. I'm in the process of researching the past owners name. I believe that it had checkering on the wood and believe that it is a higher grade that a D comparing it to pictures in the Parker Story. As for removing the blue I used blue and rust remover, cleaned it and then lightly posished with fine greaseless slow moving buffing wheel and oiled. I still need to redo barrels. I will keep everyone in the loop as for what I find out on previous owner.

Dave Suponski
05-05-2011, 05:12 PM
The four pin lock's are typical of D Grade and higher guns. Good luck on your quest for info on the original owner.

Bill Murphy
05-05-2011, 07:38 PM
I will give you what I can on the original owner mentioned in the PGCA letter if you will share the name with me. My email is wilmrph@verizon.net. I have a bit of research material on early competitive shooters.

Dean Romig
05-05-2011, 08:40 PM
It is a Dollar Grade gun and I would estimate it to be a $200 Grade judging by the level of engraving and the bolster engraving.

Dean Romig
05-05-2011, 08:49 PM
I, too, have some information on early shooters in Missouri and those who came to Missouri to compete up to 1898.

Travis Newman
05-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Here's what I got in my letter. No stock book or order book for it but did get returned for some work. It was returned on August 11, 1884 to clean and rebrown barrels($5.00) and repair action(free). On October 30, 1886 to fit new 30 in barrels to shoot same as old, cost $45. Then returned again to restock and return his old stock, cost $10. Every time that it was returned, it was returned by George H Palmer of Bellefontaine or Kenton Ohio. I did try to research George H Palmer but could not come up with an occupation. Anyway if anyone has the other set of barrels for serial 1227 I would be interested in purchasing from them.

Bill Murphy
05-23-2011, 08:30 AM
Sorry I couldn't find anything of value on your "George Palmer of Ohio".