PDA

View Full Version : Nice pair.

david ross
04-03-2011, 04:43 AM
Early winter deer hunt and a sucessful one at long last. Not a lot on my ground so far hope to see more in next week or two. These deer are muntjak
a buck and doe shot with a 243 win Browning x bolt:rotf:

All the best Dave:bigbye:

charlie cleveland
04-03-2011, 08:34 AM
ive never seen these type deer before could you give us a little info about them...they kinda look like dwarfs... but looks like you had good succes thanks charlie

david ross
04-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Hi Charlie.:)

These deer are Reeves muntjak thay come from south east asia china ect'.
I belive they came to England in the early 1800 hundreds. The duke of
Bedford had them in his private estate at Wooburn in Bedfordshire. A few
escaped and now they are all over the country. The bucks can go to 50Ibs
the does to 35-40Ibs they do breed all year round as there is no closed
season for them you have to shoot the pregnant does as not to orfan small
fawns thats why i mainly shoot bucks only. The meat is very nice i think it is
some of the best venison going. They are not that easy to shoot as they are
allways on the move and are a very secretive little deer. i do use a 243 win
but i like the 223 rem best as they are only a small deer.
Thanks for your reply:)
All the best Dave.:bigbye:

charlie cleveland
04-03-2011, 05:21 PM
can you hunt those deer with a shotgun...i bet that would be a challenge... i like the 243 also and im real fond of the 223 but the old 222 remington is my favorite....even though i dont shoot the 222 much anymore i guess im kinda old fashion still like the things of yesteryear sush as old side by sides and 32 fords and 55 chevys...the 243 is one of the favorite calorbors of the world...have you shot the 243 short mag yet..boy its a realgood caliber little more punch than the old 243... thanks charlie

Robert Delk
04-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Muntjac,we used to listen to them "bark" while on patrol in Vietnam and once in a while find one that a predator had killed. I still have an antler from one I found from a pile of bones on top of a big rock where a tiger or something else big had taken one to dine.

david ross
04-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Hi Charlie.
No you can not shoot deer in the UK with a shot gun rifle only 243 min cal . There is a new law that alloweds you to shoot muntjac and chinese water deer with a 22cf 222 -223
22-250-220 swift etc. but not the 22- hornet as it doe's not have enough power eg.
1000 fIds is the law for a 22 cf on these small deer. I used to have 222 BSA but i shot it
out i did like the 222 a nice little round for fox crows ect. Now i use a 223 - 243 . Now
and again i take out my Hawken 45 cal. muzzle loader NOW that is fun. Thanks dave.

charlie cleveland
04-04-2011, 09:49 PM
i have shot the old 45 caliber its a great round i allways liked the round ball load..hunted deer afew times with it...never forget one trip it had been raining all day and finally i got a shot...the old gun would not fire even after 3 caps put on it..needless to say deer didnot stay around to long..got back to truck pulled the nipple out and primed it with dry powder after a couple trys it went off....went to reload the gun but the ramrod had swelled up and would not come out of its holders...borrowed a friends and loaded it up finished up the hunt with a green stick i cut to use to load it again but never got to use the green stick...learnt a good lesson go by a carbon rod so it wont swell up in the rain... that old 22 hornet was a fine old round i still shoot one ocasionally... charlie

david ross
04-05-2011, 10:07 AM
charlie.
Keep the old west alive keep on shooting that old 45.
All the best Dave.

todd allen
04-29-2011, 11:36 PM
David, what kind of suppressor do you have on that Browning?

david ross
04-30-2011, 05:47 AM
Hi Todd.
The sound moderater i use is a wildcat 8 with this mod you have baffle stacks 8 or 4 i
use the 8 stack . You can also change the bore size eg' 223-243 -308 ect so you can use one moderater for all your guns. They are made of stainless steel and are not that
heavy and are easy to keep clean i do mine every 100 rounds.
All the best Dave.

calvin humburg
04-30-2011, 07:37 AM
Robert, Thank you for your time in the service.Theres a farmer around here had to walk point on patrols with a M60 and he ant a big fellow, nice guy but he has what I call sad eyes seens to me combat would give the normal guy sadness. thanks to all who serve and I would if need be but feel fornute I never had to be in combat Godspeed to all the combat vets! ch

Robert Delk
04-30-2011, 07:44 AM
War is senseless but it is something that we seem to never find a way of avoiding.I think that as long as humans are the imperfect creatures they are that we will have armed conflict.